• Well, here in Brazil we use to give some nicknames to players. Some are definitively fun and lovely, but some no... Here it go some of the most funny and usual for me...

P.S: This topic don't mean to be offensive to any player or member. If you feel offended by this topic, I do offer my apologies.

Bitchnini

Fabi Gremlin

Iceberg

Chinattaz

GAMe OVer

Marcelle witch's hands

Paula Doe-Rabbit

Chernobyl

Frankstein or Elephângela

The Trinity

Raquel Finger Face

Princess Fiona or Hulk

And you? Have an nickname for a player? Share with us!

• Oh Felipe, this is mean! :beee: Poor Picci!
    Haha, but it's true, brazilians tend to give a lot of nicknames to players! :dance:
    I like Berg, but that nickname makes me laugh everytime!
    I personally use "Ice Women" when it's about Mari, because I can't take that one of my head... but I must admit that "Genérika" for Érika Coimbra is also fun... and for Sassá, sassaricando! Actually I laugh my ass off everytime I go to the brazilian community of volleyball :roll: Though some of the nicknames are mean, I try to see it was funny...

• Quote from "Felipe Oliveira"

LothiePG, this nickname is just by the sonority of the name, there's notting personal... I like Picci! :wink2:

I know it's not personal, I was kidding! :wink2:
    Actually, I guess nothing about these nicknames are personal... Brazilian fans like to mock every player haha... Berg for her weight, Jaqueline for being the most loved and hated player ever, Guiggi for her teeth, Marcelle/Marinova/half of the setters for being "bad", Mari/Sheilla for not doing good in decisive matches, and the list is long...

I'm curious to know what kind of nicknames people from other countries give to the players, or if it's just us who are :twisted:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

I'm curious to know what kind of nicknames people from other countries give to the players, or if it's just us who are :twisted:

Me too!!!! Come on everybody, tell us!

Really, the list is very big! I forgot some now, but later I pots here :D

• In Poland we don't have many nicknames. These which we have are from names and surnames players. For example: Mariola Zenik - Barbie (from her first surname Barbachowska), Dorota Świeniewicz - Dori, Dominika Leśniewicz - Domino.

• iceberg is the funniest.ı can't still help laughing. :D :D :D

• We have many many nicknames used by fans, players and/or commentators

-Simona Rinieri = Rinox
    -Sara Anzanello = Anza; Anza La Ganza (her favourite) ganza means cool in Italian; Grande Puffo (old one, she doesn't love it) Do you remember the cartoons of the little blue humans. The one with the red hat was called Grande Puffo in Italian.
    -Paola Cardullo = Cardu'; Pally (old one and she doesn't love it too)
    -Paola Paggi = Paggi-san; Capitan Paggi
    -Francesca Piccinini = Picci
    -Elisa Togut = Toga
    -Eleonora Lo Bianco = Leo
    -Serena Ortolani = Sere
    -Valentina Fiorin = Vale; Fiore (flower); Consuelo Mangifesta called her Giovane Virgulto
    -Monica De Gennaro = Moki
    -Tay Aguero = Extraterrestre (it means UFO). For the fact that she does all well. She comes from another world.
    -Antonina Zetova = Toni
    -Anja Spasojevic = Aki
    -He Qi = Cicci
    -Virginie De Carne = Virrie De Carne

Russians call
    -Elena Godina = Gosha
    -Ekaterina Gamova = Katja
    -Lioubov Sokolova = Ljuba
    -Evgeniya Artamonova = Zhenya

• I liked Anza's nicknames :D They sound so funny, and also are nice! As we said previously, almost all nicknames for brazilian players are mean (actually, thinking well, ALL of them)... no one needs to hear those :roll:

Is Paggi called "Paggi-san" because of her eyes? I mean, the "san" sufix is something Japanese, isn't it? Here it is famous because of the "mangas" (the Japanese HQ)...

What does mean Virgulto, in Fiorin's nickname?

And about De Carne, well... she was soooooo mocked here because of her surname, I can remember at least a dozen of nicknames about that hehe, they were sooooo funny, but I remember there was a girl who would call her "De Carne De Frango" during all the match (it means "[made] of chicken's meat")

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Is Paggi called "Paggi-san" because of her eyes? I mean, the "san" sufix is something Japanese, isn't it? Here it is famous because of the "mangas" (the Japanese HQ)...

Yes, Paggi is called Paggi-san because of her eyes! She seems like a Japanese girl. I think that san is a suffix of respect that the Japanese give to people.

Quote from "LothiePG"

What does mean Virgulto, in Fiorin's nickname?

Virgulto means a twig, that little branch that grows from the trees and has flowers on it. It is connected to her surname Fiorin-Fiore (flower) and the fact that she is very promising (like a twig that will become later a strong branch)

About the Brazilians, some are funny some are mean. For example, Chernobyl is unfunny and bad in my opinion. :shock: Same for Bitchinini (I guess it was because of the nude photos). But Iceberg is funny.

Poor De Carne! In Italian (I guess also in Brazilian Portugues) means Of Meat! :roll:

• Quote from "samba player"

Russians call
    -Elena Godina = Gosha
    -Ekaterina Gamova = Katja
    -Lioubov Sokolova = Ljuba
    -Evgeniya Artamonova = Zhenya

well, these arent real nicknames :wink2:
    they are just shortforms of these names, almost every russian name has a shortform :)
    like nadeshda= nadja viktoria= vika or anastasia= nastja :wink2:
    but ok nevermind :wink2:

• For me Valeskinha's face is more like a Gremlin than Fabi's.

Fofão itself is a nickname. When she started to play for the NT junior team in 1991, her cheeks were too big and Zé Roberto "baptized" her with this nickname, the same of a TV show character. (You guys should notice that this TV character bears a resemblance with Chucky! LOL!)

• hi guys ı liked all of these nicknames.do you have any nicknames for turkish players?we don't use nicknames a lot. these are two nicknames that are usually used.
    neslihan demir=demir lady(demir means iron),ironlady
    lıbouv sokolova kılıç=russian bride(because she is married to a turkish man)
    an finally ı heard tenerife fans call neslihan''La Passion Turca''

• Quote from "Felipe Oliveira"

:shock:
    In Brazil, chicken=whore!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope it wasn't what you meant... :?

wow :shock: :shock: I didn't know... :shock:
    I read that she is called 'chicken' by friends and players from team... :roll:

• Quote from "Justyna"

wow :shock: :shock: I didn't know... :shock:
    I read that she is called 'chicken' by friends and players from team... :roll:

Yeah, here in Brazil, usually chicken=whore, but maybe it's because she looks like a chicken :oops:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Yeah, here in Brazil, usually chicken=whore, but maybe it's because she looks like a chicken :oops:

where does she look like the chicken? okay, okay she has big cheeks:)

• Quote from "Youstyna"

where does she look like the chicken? okay, okay she has big cheeks:)

You shouldn't take my comparisons seriously, I suck at that :lol2:
    But, I prefer to think it's because she looks like one hehe