Serbian NT 2018

• Very interesting. I've had the impression that players often don't even know the score of a game. They seem unaware when a Technical Time Out arrives, etc. I once heard an announcer say, when a team was down by 9 points or so, "You don't play the score, you play the point". Makes sense.

From a player point of view I can definitely confirm this. I look at the scoreboard consciously maybe 3-4 times per set.

• I love how Tijana still after everything she has achieved from that age still seems so humble and almost unaware of herself. Maybe even a little shy, I also noticed it when she was in SonSet.

Funny thing is the Boskovic on court literally has NONE of that left, 100% monster mode :cheesy::super:

• From a player point of view I can definitely confirm this. I look at the scoreboard consciously maybe 3-4 times per set.

Agree, I check the scoreboard very often during the tie-break though, except that focus is generally on each point :box:

• Now, if Boskovic doesn't win the Sportswoman of The Year from the Olympic Committee of Serbia, and instead award it to an athlete from solo sports (none of our athletes from any individual sport had a spectacular year), this award will become a laughing stock...

To this date, the only team sports player to win this award is Jovana Brakocevic, in 2011.

• Now, if Boskovic doesn't win the Sportswoman of The Year from the Olympic Committee of Serbia, and instead award it to an athlete from solo sports (none of our athletes from any individual sport had a spectacular year), this award will become a laughing stock...

To this date, the only team sports player to win this award is Jovana Brakocevic, in 2011.

Didn't Tijana get such an award last year? Or in 2016 not sure, or maybe that was something else... Welcome back to the forum btw :win:

• Tijana was the Young athlete of the year last year, which was a bit silly and clearly a compromise of some sort.

I agree with Janko that there's a clear bias towards individual sports as far as this award is concerned. I don't think that's actually that bad in itself, as individual sports have long been neglected here and they deserve to be acknowledged.

Even so, this award is IMO often problematic. For example, Ivana Španović ought to have been the Sportswoman of the year in 2016 (with all due respect, an Olympic bronze in athletics >>>>>>>>> an Olympic silver in taekwondo), and that's not the only such case.

Anyway, I don't see who could get the award instead of Tijana this year. Except maybe the shooter Zorana Arunović who won a WCh medal and became the first Serbian athlete to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics. But she already got this award in 2010 and I don't think what she did this year compares to Tijana's achievements, so...

The volleyball team will certainly be the Women's team of the year, that's not even debatable. And I hope Terzić will finally get the award as the Coach of the year.

• Didn't Tijana get such an award last year? Or in 2016 not sure, or maybe that was something else... Welcome back to the forum btw :win:

Thanks, beri!:win:

And what Joana said. Clearly a compromise, because they knew that Tijana deserved it at least as much as Milica Mandic, who won it (and Brakocevic won the award in 2011 for precisely such a year as Tijana's 2017).

•  

Now, if Boskovic doesn't win the Sportswoman of The Year from the Olympic Committee of Serbia, and instead award it to an athlete from solo sports (none of our athletes from any individual sport had a spectacular year), this award will become a laughing stock...

Only other athlete that could challenge Tijana is Ivana Spanovic but with Tijana's accomplishment at the World Championships, you're right it would be a disgrace if she didn't win.

• CEV will announce tonight the recipients of this year's awards, and unofficially , Tijana Boskovic and Zoran Terzic are front-runners for Female Volleyball Player of the Year and Women’s Team Coach of the Year, respectively. If she wins, this will be a second consecutive year she wins this award.

Btw, does anyone have a list of previous winners of this award? I've looked for it everywhere, but haven't been able to find it.

• That's it! Both Tijana and Terzic have won their respective prizes! Second (consecutive) for her, and first for him!:drink::win::cup:

More than deserved.

• I think Mihajlovic and Boskovic are actually Serbians from Bosnia and Herzegovina? right? Not actually Bosnian ethnically I think, but Im not sure.

Slavic languages are very similar, but to your question: no they are still very much different languages.

• I think Mihajlovic and Boskovic are actually Serbians from Bosnia and Herzegovina? right? Not actually Bosnian ethnically I think, but Im not sure.

Slavic languages are very similar, but to your question: no they are still very much different languages.

oh okkk.... Well I don` know but I think at least Boskovic was born and raised in Bosnia? I say that because her sister plays for Bosnia.

• Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian are all different languages, but I'm pretty sure that the differences between these languages are so small that native speakers can understand one another easily, as well as Montenegrin and probably even Slovene.

• I don't even know where to begin, as the answers to those questions can either be extremely simple or extremely complicated, depending on one's perspective. :lol:

First of all, I hope you all know that all those countries used to be the same country called Yugoslavia until 1991/92. While that country existed, its official language was called Serbo-Croatian (spoken in today's Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro), alongside Slovenian and Macedonian, which were/are separate languages in their own right, which they really are.

The so-called Serbo-Croatian had two basic "variants", eastern and western. The eastern one was used in Serbia, the western in Croatia. There are some differences between the two, mainly in vocabulary (Serbian has more loanwords from Turkish, German, Hungarian and other languages), while Croatian has retained more of the original Slavic words. There are also some minor differences in grammar. Also, an important distinction was that Serbs initally only used the Cyrillic script, while Croats wrote in Latin script. Over the years, the Serbs gradually started using Latin script too, which is now used as much as Cyrillic if not more, while Cyrillic never took hold in Croatia.

The language used in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro fell somewhere between these two variants, in some aspects it was more like eastern/Serbian, in others like western/Croatian.

And then when Yugoslavia broke up, all those countries claiamed their own national languages for themselves, so now we have Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. All those languages are VERY similar and 100% mutually intelligible.

Note: this all applies to standard languages as used in official setting like schools and so on. Dialects are an entirely different matter.

• Moving on:

Bosnia and Herzegovina now has THREE official languages: Bosnian (spoken by Bosniaks/Bosnian Muslims), Serbian (spoken by Bosnian Serbs) and Croatian (spoken by Bosnian Croats).

It's all a bit silly as the colloquial language used by all three ethnic groups in their everyday speech is pretty much the same, they just use a different name for it.

So, long story short: they are now officially different languages, but they're so similar that people can and do understand each other without a problem. Basically, it's like the different varieties of English or Spanish.

So, Brankica and Tijana speak Serbian, with an accent that is characteristic for people from Bosnia (and Herzegovina, as there are again some minor differences there), which is somewhat less obvious in Tijana's speech as she spent more time in Serbia growing up and picked up more traits of local speech. Again, we can compare it to a person moving from London to New York, for example.

• Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian are all different languages, but I'm pretty sure that the differences between these languages are so small that native speakers can understand one another easily, as well as Montenegrin and probably even Slovene.

Slovenian is actually a complete nightmare to understand. :rolll: The written language is actually not THAT different (it is, but you can at least get an idea of what the text is about), but the spoken language is so phonetically different from Serbian/Croatian/etc. that you get completely lost after a few seconds.

• Slovenian is actually a complete nightmare to understand. :rolll: The written language is actually not THAT different (it is, but you can at least get an idea of what the text is about), but the spoken language is so phonetically different from Serbian/Croatian/etc. that you get completely lost after a few seconds.

Ah, my mistake. I met a Slovenian who seemed to understand Serbian quite easily but he had family from Serbia so I guess that explains it.

• Ah, my mistake. I met a Slovenian who seemed to understand Serbian quite easily but he had family from Serbia so I guess that explains it.

Yeah, that's probably it. A lot of Slovenians have some background from other parts of former Yugoslavia, as there was lot of internal migration at the time. Also, Slovenians are in general much more likely to able to understand (but not speak) Serbo-Croatian than vice versa as they're more exposed to it through popular culture such as music and films. Older generations that grew up in Yugoslavia had to learn it at school (and men also had to use in the army, which was compulsory at the time), while Slovenian was not taught outside Slovenia, so that plays a part too.

Now, I realize this has nothing to do with volleyball, but as some questions keep popping up every now and then, I think it might be helpful to clear whatever confusion people may have:

2000px-Yugoslavia_2008_ethnic_map_fr.svg.png

The ethnic map of former Yugoslavia. Not entirely accurate, but you get a picture - a lot of people with different nationalities live outside their "homeland".

bosnia-map-political.gif

The political map of Bosnia and Herzegovina. As you can see, it's divided into two parts: Republika Srpska (literally, "Serbian Republic", or "Republic of the Serbs"), populated mainly by Serbs, and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is further subdivided into several cantons which usually have a clear Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) or Croatian majority.

Brčko, Brankica's hometown, has a special status and belongs to neither. The town itself has a mixed Serbian and Bosniak population, while the surrounding rural areas are mosty Croat.

Actually, come to think about it, this may well cause even more confusion, but at least I tried. :lol: