2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• I'm dead!

I'm not saying Russia won a spot for the sake of all these teams no! I'm talking about the rings, the main argument for there not being more European teams, so actually referring to you guys' words. Russia is definitely representing the European continent in this ring; therefore saying giving that earned spot to a random Asian team that still wouldn't have been through the same process as the other teams is like you guys not being ok an African spot or American spot going to Europe under any circumstance. Hypocrisy.

Just not make sense what are you saying. If Russia have taked a spot in this qualifier from an European team at least. But it was based on fivb ranking.

• But that wont be fair to South Korea. Their the second. The first besides Russia and they played for it.

• I think that this Criteria about a world qualifier was really good and can let 6 europeans team qualifier if they are that good.

In fact. Only in Rio Olympics a european team earned a medal since Atenas 2004.

• In London 2012 between the four teams eliminated in the first round tree of them were from Europe.

In this new criteria, europe can have eight teams from europe. If there is a european host.

And besides all the drama about a continental qualifier before a world qualifier. Seems like a lot of people now have agreed that a better team can take a spot in world qualifier and provide a easy path for their neighbors.

• I quite understand your line of argument, but you don't understand mine, nor (and this is even more important) do you see the bigger picture, which is perfectly illustrated by your last line since it couldn't be any further from truth.

I already dealt with inherent hypocrisy of you people invoking that rule, and the fact that you would sing a very different tune if South Korea and Russia were to exchange places, and the already-qualified Korea were to face the possibility of being banned. But let's look at the bigger picture, shall we?

Ossubtus claimed, earlier in the thread, "honestly, this whole discussion about european victimhood is pathetic". I believe I would not be wrong in thinking that many of you are thinking something along the same lines (you, Padar, Sydney etc.), yes? And that's okay. I quite understand your frustration, and can see how you arrived at that feeling of exasperation. But the fact is that feelings of resentment, building for years, from many European volleyball lovers exist (for many reasons that are beyond the point of this discussion). Is that feeling justified? Is it not all being oversensitive? It does not matter. The only thing that matters is that it exists.

Solving this particular conundrum (should it emerge if/when Russia is officially banned) by this particular method you are proposing will (make no mistake about it) result in increasing that feeling of alienation and resentment in some, much more than literally any other of the numerous solutions proposed in this thread. Some Europeans would feel even more persecuted and shit on, which would in turn lead you guys to be even more exasperated about it (and less patient of it) which would in turn make them feeling even more resentment, which would in turn...see where this is going?

• Is that Hard to understand that Europe would second NT instead of Russia than We wouldn't have situation where Ita and Ned are in the same pool, Srb with Pol or Turk with Chn ??

And both Ned or Turkey would kick ass of Korean NT and even Poland. Thank you next.

• Oh I understand you alright. You seem to have this European authority to say that all Euros would feel shit on if KOR got the slot instead of another Euro country. Your point in itself reeks of privilege and that representation, in this case, matters more than sportsmanship and fairness. You'll have your continental quals to be represented. IOQT was established to give each country equal opportunity to get in regardless of federation and must stand by its rules.

Resentment from European volleyball lovers? Please. If you really and firmly believe that KOR getting that slot in favor of another EURO country, is the worst thing that can happen in Olympic history, I suggest to you just stick to watching EuroVolley. There's no country outside EURO there :cheesy:

But I doubt ALL OF EUROPE would feel cheated if God forbid KOR got that slot in lieu of RUS. Unless I'm overestimating EURO countries' sense of sportsmanship. Which reminds me where's that RUS coach that mocked KOR with his squinty eyes post-match? :wavy:

• We are not guilty that Europe has much more NTs on better levels than rest of World.

• Werka the most stupidst post on this forum....

Don't put this on the race card :read:

I will repeat myself. Korea is middle level team that would be at around 8-10place at European Champ. They failed to qualify and now they have their chance in Asia. Much weaker competiton and at least their they have chance.

• Absolutely not. Nobody should be rewarded for having the luck of draw (or rather, the serpentine system) to be drawn together with a team that got disqualified.

I agree, and I don't see how anyone would say that Bulgaria deserves a spot if USA got banned :what::white:

Let's face it, there is not going to be any fair way to handle the situation. Well there would, namely doing the whole qualification process all over again without Russia participating in it, but of course this is impossible to handle. If there was a fair world ranking system, the most fair way would be giving the spot to the best ranked, not yet qualified team when all qualification rounds are over, but since world ranking is totally screwed over, this ain't gonna work either.

• If the pools were based on FIVB ranking. I dont think that anyone besides Korea would deservr more this spot in the absense of Russia NT.

The comments are based in to mutch if...and assuming Europeans teams are the bests.

The Korea NT has been in the quarter finals in Olympics since London 2012.

Korea 4th place ( Turkey, Serbia and England eliminated in the pool stage).

And for sure, The Intercontinental qualifiers rankings would be the more fair choice.

Like people were here criticizing the fact that the world qualifier happened before the continental and this would enhance the possibility that "weak" teams would take a place instead "better" european teams.

Now there is a argument that a european team must to take a place in tha absecnce of Russia. Since the cev ranking was not take in account and even the place where the NT comes from to compose the pools in the Olympic qualifiers.

The people here are too much " sentimental". Assuming a lot of " kind of hate" from others. Get over it.

If someone get a medal in some event and for some reason that one lose his rights the next one in the tabble is the one who steps up in the tabble.

• Bulgaria was the best ranked besides USA, same as Korea.

The spot in the olympics were take in a intercontinental qualifier.

Just a big deal here for a simple thing. :wavy:

FIVB allowed this time a maximun of 8 teams (with host) or 7 teams from a same confederation to be part at the Olympics. I dont know how people can still complain.

If Brasil qualify at intercontinental its unfair because a "weak" Nt from south América will take a spot in the Olympics.....🤔🤔🤔

Now, Russia is from Europe and even been partipating in a World competition you should not take the ranking of this competition in account, but for sure remember thE continent that Russia is part of! :aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww:

• Korea is middle level team and they wouldn't even reach top 8 in Europe

Thank you next.

• Korea 4th place ( Turkey, Serbia and England eliminated in the pool stage).

Great Britain. Some of those girls are Scottish you know, including the captain. :saint:

• Korea is middle level team and they wouldn't even reach top 8 in Europe

Thank you next.

Like what the level of the team has to do with it?

Please, Korea has been reaching Olympic quarter finals since 2012.

Better campaign than Italy for example.

• Great Britain. Some of those girls are Scottish you know, including the captain. :saint:

My mistake, thank you for the info.