World Grand Prix 2007 - Results

• :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    POLAND WON WOOHOOOOOOO :shock: :woohoo: :dance: :clap: :trophy:
    ahahah damn i cant believe it still! against China, niiiiiiice

Podolec played great! without her the team would have lost. Skowronska was very tired today and couldnt help the team much so she was taken out of the match and podolec came, saw and conquered lol
    in the first 2 sets china was blocking and defending really well... Then as poland got stronger point by point china started to loose its concentration.
    Then it was Poland who showed great blocks and good defense...
    Its as if the two teams were exchanged after the 2nd set. even the score looks like mirrored :wink2: ....

Anyway, Congrats to "my" girls :D

• Congrats to Poland!! :D
    It was a great achievement, and honestly I never thought it would happen!
    It's a shame they only air lousy football matches here, instead of good volleyball games (and other sports too)...
    Certainly Poland is on the right way! :D

• Congrats to the Polish Girls. They almost made it last weekend but today they had a great come back and beat the Chinese Team. Such a victory will boost the Polish girls confidence and I'm sure they will play better and better.

Poland has everything to be the winner of the Hong Kong Pool! I hope they could qualify for the final round of the Grand Prix.

• Netherlands beat Japan in 5 sets. They had the opportunity to beat Japan in straight sets, but lost the 2nd set 26-28 and then the 4th set 25-27. In the other sets, they had a comfortable difference of points and gave no chance to Japan.

In the first weekend the setter of the Dutch Team was Kim Staelens and maybe that's why they didn't have any chance at all against Brazil and Italy. From the 3rd match on, Riette Flederus was put in charge of the setting and they played a tough match against Brazil and now they beat Japan.

The US Team is surprising me too. Even without Metcalf they are causing trouble to strong teams like Russia and Cuba. Even against China the sets were close, but they failed in the decisive moments of the set.

• Quote from "Celso"

In the first weekend the setter of the Dutch Team was Kim Staelens and maybe that's why they didn't have any chance at all against Brazil and Italy. From the 3rd match on, Riette Flederus was put in charge of the setting and they played a tough match against Brazil and now they beat Japan.

Fledderus didn't play today, she got a muscle injury yesterday in 3rd set. Kim Staelens is a baaaad setter but it looks like she performed well enough today.

• Kim seems to be improving as well as the Netherlands Team. In the first week they just sucked. In the second week they showed they have improved. I hope they keep on doing the good job. Maybe they can surprise China, Cuba and the US Team in the third weekend of the World Grand Prix.

• Today's results

NED-TPE 3-0 25-12 25-21 25-19
    JPN-BRA 0-3 15-25 19-25 13-25
    USA-KAZ 3-1 25-21 20-25 25-21 26-24
    RUS-CUB 3-2 25-23 25-23 24-26 21-25 15-11
    DOM-POL 0-3 16-25 17-25 19-25
    CHN-ITA 2-3 21-25 25-20 25-14 20-25 12-15

1 BRA Brazil 12 6 0
    2 RUS Russia 11 5 1
    3 ITA Italy 10 4 2
    4 CUB Cuba 10 4 2
    5 USA U.S.A. 10 4 2
    6 CHN China 9 3 3
    7 JPN Japan 9 3 3
    8 NED Netherlands 9 3 3
    9 POL Poland 9 3 3
    10 KAZ Kazakhstan 7 1 5
    11 DOM Dominican Republic 6 0 6
    12 TPE Chinese Taipei 6 0 6

• Today was the best match of the Brazil's team in the Grand Prix.
    Our girls played very well in blocking and defense as well as in the counter-attacks. Brazil scored 15 block points in a three-set match. In spite of only scoring 2 aces, Brazil's services worked well too.

• after the 2nd weekend the list of best players looks like that

Best Scorers
    1. Aguero Taismary ITA 110
    2. Pavlova Yelena KAZ 100
    3. Haneef-Park Tayyiba 98
    Castro Sheilla BRA 98

Best Spikers
    1. Ramirez Echevarria Daimi CUB 61.29 (Succ. %)
    2. Carrillo de la Paz Nancy CUB 59.63
    3. Ruiz Luaces Yumillka CUB 55.88

Best Blockers
    1. Alimova Natalia RUS 1.09 (Avg. by set)
    2. Claudino Fabiana BRA 0.85
    3. Xue Ming CHN 0.84

Best Servers
    1. Santos Allegne Yanelis CUB 12 (Aces)
    2. Carrillo de la Paz Nancy CUB 10
    3. Godina Elena RUS 10
    4. Glass Kimberly USA 10
    5. Skowronska-Dolata Katarzyna POL 10

Best Diggers
    1. de Oliveira Fabiana BRA
    2. Zenik Mariola POL
    3. Davis Nicole USA

Best Setters
    1. Wei Qiuyue CHN
    2. Lo Bianco Eleonora ITA
    3. Takeshita Yoshie JPN

Best Receivers
    1. Sano Yuko JPN
    2. Rodriguez Andino Cosiri DOM
    3. Caso Sierra Carmen Rosa DOM

Brazil, Russia and Poland dominate the 2nd leg.
    Brazil was able to win all its matches 3:0 and is leading the general standings of this year's edition with a 6-0 record. Russia had some tougher matches but won them in front of 7,200 spectators at hometown Khabarovsk which is the first russian city to host a GP Round.
    In HongKong it was Poland which won all the games. The team of former italian headcoach Marco Bonitta won against his old team Italy and first time in history against China.
    The Dominican Republic and Chinese Taipei are still waiting for their first victory. Maybe next weekend? We will see...

The 3rd weekend (17th-19th August) will be played in
    Osaka, Japan (Pool G: Japan, Kazakhstan, Poland, Russia),
    Taipei, Chinese Taipei (Pool H: Brazil, Chinese Taipei, Dominican Republic, Italy)
    Macau (Pool I: China, Cuba, Netherlands, USA)

And then the 5 best teams plus China will qualify for the EndRound in Ningbo. (22nd - 26th August)

• For me the most difficult pool will be Pool I:

China, Cuba, Netherlands and USA will have a hard time in all matches. The Netherlands team is the weaker, even so, they can surprise their opponents, especially if their services and reception work well.
    The US Team has been showing ups and downs, the Cuban team makes too much mistakes and the Chinese Team is always a tough opponent, they have beaten the three teams in straight sets already, despite some late bad results.

In Pool G, Russia won't have any difficulty at all in beating their opponents, the only able to spoil the Russian party is Poland, anyway Russia is the far favourite to winning this pool. Japan and Kazakhstan are mere sparrings in my opinion.

When it comes to Pool H, there's no shadow of doubt that both Brazil and Italy will fight for the pool title when they face in the Sunday match. Chinese Taipei and the Dominican Republic are playing lousily, and once I called Japan and Kazkhstan as sparrings, I have no words to express how weak are these two teams.

I strongly believe that Brazil, Cuba, USA, Italy, Russia and China will qualify for the final round.

• whahaha :lol:
    Impossible thing just happened. Poland won 3:0 against Russia! :dance: :victory: :lol2:
    (25:21 25:19 28:26)
    Little describtion of end of 3rd set:
    its 22:21 for russia
    Swieniewicz spikes and the ball is called out though touches block.
    23:21 for russia (bonitta takes TO)
    Alimova has to set and makes mistake.
    23:22
    Podolec makes a fault when attacking, so
    24:22, 2 set points for russia
    Podolec attacks better this time and makes the point
    24:23
    strong block by poland
    24:24
    another block by poland (Sadurek and Dziekiewicz)
    25:24
    successful attack by russia
    25:25
    successful attack by poland
    26:25
    successful attack by russia
    26:26
    Podolec scores another point
    27:26
    Sokolova makes an error in attack
    28:26 8)

read the whole match describtion on fivb by clicking here

• im very pissed russia lost to poland.. i think that russia really played bad.but giv credit to poland they really playing outstanding..only gamova is outstanding on the russian.. she is the only russian player that scored in double digit pts 22 .and she is 60.00% in attack %.all russian player scored less than 8..but im sure that 2 teams will qualify at the finals in ningbo.And BOnnita he really does some magic to get poland really better every matches

• Bonitta is doing a great job with Poland, who is becoming stronger match by match! And they still don't have Glinka (who btw was smiling in the arena :D nice to see her coming back). Podolec, Liktoras, Rosner, Skowronska and Zenik improved a lot from last year. They have refound an important thing: order and organization on court. Block-defence is working, less errors in serving, better reception and effective attacks. On the other hand I've seen a so-so Russian defence. Some spikes could have been defended by the Russians.

My congratulations to Poland, who has refound herself! :clap:

• Now i hope they'll make it to the Final Round...
    If they continue to play like that im looking optimistic to the EC in a month... (and with glinka uff... :D )

besides POL-RUS, Brazil finished its match also... no real surprise, again an easy victory for the ladies 3:0 (25:22 25:19 25:17)

• Quote from "Nastja"

Now i hope they'll make it to the Final Round...
    If they continue to play like that im looking optimistic to the EC in a month... (and with glinka uff... :D )

besides POL-RUS, Brazil finished its match also... no real surprise, again an easy victory for the ladies 3:0 (25:22 25:19 25:17)

just at the moment of typing, netherland beat cuba 3-1, rather easily

and the chance netherland beat china is promising, so netherland might advance into the final :idea:

• Quote from "colossus"

just at the moment of typing, netherland beat cuba 3-1, rather easily

and the chance netherland beat china is promising, so netherland might advance into the final :idea:

I was surprised with Netherlands victory over Cuba, as the victory of Poland over Russia. Honestly, I don't like the fact that China WILL BE in the final six only because they're the host country. I don't know if they're "relaxed" because they're already classified or they're really playing lousily, but I don't think that the host country team should get a spot that easily. And it takes off the chance of a good team to be on the finals.

PS: Nastja, if Poland makes to the final round, I guess I already have the answer for your question (in the banner) :P

• Quote from "LothiePG"

I was surprised with Netherlands victory over Cuba, as the victory of Poland over Russia. Honestly, I don't like the fact that China WILL BE in the final six only because they're the host country. I don't know if they're "relaxed" because they're already classified or they're really playing lousily, but I don't think that the host country team should get a spot that easily. And it takes off the chance of a good team to be on the finals.

You are totally right... i think it should be handled like in other sports too. The hostcountry doesnt have to qualify for the tournament... But to be automatically in the Final round sounds ridiculous! But as often FIVB has another opinion...

Quote from "LothiePG"

PS: Nastja, if Poland makes to the final round, I guess I already have the answer for your question (in the banner) :P

Brazil would sound nice eh?? :lol:

UPDATE:
    China vs. USA 3:0 (25:18 25:17 25:22)