South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• Can you tell a backstory to this coach, because i see some disappointment reaction from korean commenter as well.

Section 3.2 of his wiki is pretty telling...

https://namu.wiki/w/%EC%9D%B4%EC%84%B1%ED%9D%AC

Here's an example of him throwing his foreign player under a train:

https://www.chosun.com/site/da…/02/10/2015021003548.html

http://m.mydaily.co.kr/new/rea…newsid=201502101831722312

https://news.zum.com/articles/10319936

• With that kind of track records and still getting hired, what is Pepper club doing. Is there is no advisor who know their volleyball, or its just proved that korean volleyball is a “closed” world.

When will they move on with their old playstyle and mentality.

• Korean vball needs a breath of fresh air. if KYK ever decides to coach in Korea (after her retirement), i'll go yes yes yes! she brings with her so much knowledge with her overseas stints.

Plus the current NT members (esp the seniors), if they do ever go into coaching after retirement, i hope they'll make use of what they've learnt under Lavarini.

• Anyone knows what happened to GS Caltex and former NT libero? Her surname was "Na" i believe.

Are you referring to Na Hyun-Jung? She is now working at a gym as a trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkOfHo-TzYs (she appear around the 8m50s mark)

Source: Hwang Minkyoung YT channel

Not really sure why she suddenly quit midway into a season. As to the reason, I don't think any of the fans will really know but you can check her namu.wiki page if you want to read further.

• Korean vball needs a breath of fresh air. if KYK ever decides to coach in Korea (after her retirement), i'll go yes yes yes! she brings with her so much knowledge with her overseas stints.

Plus the current NT members (esp the seniors), if they do ever go into coaching after retirement, i hope they'll make use of what they've learnt under Lavarini.

She did mentioned her plan to learn coaching in the US after retirement. She owned 2 sports academy so maybe she can start there.

Anyway, i wonder why Korean players don't play abroad. I only know KYK and Kim Sanee who had experience playing outside Korea. Is it because no offer or it just that they are comfortable in their own league?

• Thank you for this.

• The players selected by Pepper Savings Bank (PSB) from the other teams have just been announced this afternoon. Surprisingly, PSB has only selected five players.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO2FlU_lyxr/

• GS Caltex #2 setter LEE Hyun
    • Heungkuk #16 outside hitter LEE Han-Bi
    • IBK Altos #16 middle blocker CHOI Ga-Eun
    • Korea Expressway #1 middle blocker CHOI Min-Ji
    • KGC Ginseng #1 outside hitter JI Min-Kyeong

No player was selected from Hyundai E&C.

Sources: 1, 2, 3

• That's a better team than I thought they could get. Their idea seems pretty clear, go with promising youth to build for the future rather than proven talents. I thought for sure they would steal an established MB or libero from GS Caltex rather than an unknown value like Lee Hyun. Coach Cha must be opening up some champagne to celebrate as he has not lost any important piece for a win-now run.

Ji Min-kyeong was on the verge of being a starting OH before she got injured. KGC must have chosen to protect Ha Hyo-rim and Park Hye-min instead. I've got no clue who Ji Min-kyeong or Park Hye-min will be better in the long run. It could end up being a mistake that will bite them in the future, or not... Lee Han-bi has power but was relegated to the bench due to Heungkuk's depth.

Pepper still needs a somewhat experienced libero though. I don't think it's a good idea to throw a high school kid to the wolves as it's a difficult position to adapt right away in the pros. Another experienced setter as well to lead this young team and show them the ropes.

• So now they have one foreign player and this 5 players. How the roster will be finished?

• So now they have one foreign player and this 5 players. How the roster will be finished?

They can draft the first 6 players out of this year's high school rookie draft. So that makes it 12 already.

To complete the roster, they can also sign Korean free agents that have not been offered a contract during the off-season. Two notable players are ex-Hi-Pass opposite Ha Hye-jin and ex-IBK libero Han Ji-hyeon.

I believe they'll also scout the amateur leagues to potentially bring in players à-la Kim Ju-ha last year for Hyundai. There is the ex-setter for KGC Lee Jae-eun, who left V-League in 2019. Not sure what her situation is right now.

• For anyone interested, the KCVF (Korea Corporates Volleyball Federation - non-professional league) is currently holding a tournament called the "2021 Credit Union Federation President Cup KCVF Tournament" (2021 신협중앙회장배 한국실업배구연맹전) from May 14~19th. Only four women's teams are participating, they are Daegu City Hall (대구시청), Suwon City Hall (수원시청), Yangsan City Hall (양산시청), and Pohang City Sports Association (포항시체육회). There doesn't seem to be any stream for the women's group matches but SBS Sports will broadcast the finals on May 19 (Wed) and as of now, it is scheduled to be air at 12:00 PM KST (TV Schedule). Looking at the schedule (KCVF or flyingdig3 @ IG), the four teams will play against each only other once and I am assuming the top two teams will meet in the final.

Yesterday match results:

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

is this the last tournament before rookie draft?

with Pepper got 6 first pick, surely more player gonna get pick this year then last year.

There seems to be another middle & high school volleyball tournament from June 17th (Thu) to the 23rd (Wed).

Sorry, but I am having trouble translating the name of this tournament "2021 정향누리배 전국 남ㆍ녀 중ㆍ고 배구대회", so for now, I am going to call it "Jeong-Hyang-Nu-Ri-Bae National Cup Men Women Middle High Volleyball Tournament". At the moment, there is no detail regarding the participating teams or the schedule as the registration deadline has not yet ended.

Source: http://www.kmhv.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=notice&wr_id=732

From the source, it actually says the last day is the 21st (Wed) but the 21st actually falls on a Monday. Also, the tournament is held over 7 days so with the tournament starting on the 17th I think the correct last day of the tournament is June 23rd (Wed).

• They can draft the first 6 players out of this year's high school rookie draft. So that makes it 12 already.

To complete the roster, they can also sign Korean free agents that have not been offered a contract during the off-season. Two notable players are ex-Hi-Pass opposite Ha Hye-jin and ex-IBK libero Han Ji-hyeon.

I believe they'll also scout the amateur leagues to potentially bring in players à-la Kim Ju-ha last year for Hyundai. There is the ex-setter for KGC Lee Jae-eun, who left V-League in 2019. Not sure what her situation is right now.

Uhm, it looks like they are going to be last in standing imho.

• IBK won their 1st championship and regular season in the 2nd year after the team was founded. Did they select the players the way Pepper did? 1st pick of the high school players, and unprotected players from the rest of the teams?

i mean.. it's quite a feat to be able to win those if you're newly founded.

• IBK won their 1st championship and regular season in the 2nd year after the team was founded. Did they select the players the way Pepper did? 1st pick of the high school players, and unprotected players from the rest of the teams?

i mean.. it's quite a feat to be able to win those if you're newly founded.

They also got incredibly lucky being founded that year. They could pick 10 players from three high schools in the 2010-2011 draft + 1 unprotected player from each team.

From the 10 high school rookies, this is who they got:

Kim Hee-jin

Park Jeong-ah

Chae Seon-ah

Lee Na-yeon

Choi Eun-ji

The two best damn Korean strikers below KYK for many years before Lee Jae-yeong stepped into the game! I doubt anyone from the 2021-2022 draft even come close to those... Chae Seon-ah was also a very serviceable defensive OH on those championship teams.

And to top it off, they picked "retired" setter (future legend) Lee Hyo-hee, who briefly quit the pros after a contractual conflict with the Heungkuk team. There certainly ain't any Lee Hyo-hee available for free this year...