Italian Women NT 2021

• What you mean pointless? Fivb put a big points for VNL so that other countries will take the league seriously. So if the team won't participate and have poor performance in vnl the result will definitely affect the world ranking and for the next olympic cycle. Also this is the only National team league they have for almost 2 yrs. Isn't it also beneficial to the team and evaluate what they need and missing to win the OG?

There is 2022, 2023 to worry about that. The most important thing for any qualified national team is the Olympics this year.

I assure you that Serbia, for example, do not care they are ranked #6 or whatever in the world.

• There is 2022, 2023 to worry about that. The most important thing for any qualified national team is the Olympics this year.

I assure you that Serbia, for example, do not care they are ranked #6 or whatever in the world.

For now they dont.... but it's going to be important later on.

6th ranked team gets put in with the 1, 2, and 5 seed for the OG... that's rough.

• What you mean pointless? Fivb put a big points for VNL so that other countries will take the league seriously. So if the team won't participate and have poor performance in vnl the result will definitely affect the world ranking and for the next olympic cycle. Also this is the only National team league they have for almost 2 yrs. Isn't it also beneficial to the team and evaluate what they need and missing to win the OG?

All they care about is the Olympics this year, no one sensible would risk an injury of an important player just weeks before the OG for a meaningless title like the VNL (I guess anyone would prefer to win a medal at OG than at VNL).

China in 2016 before Rio played VNL with their team B and C and still won gold in OG and kept the first position in the world ranking.

Besides. Italian starters already know each other pretty well. Most of them even play in the same team during the season and have already played together for a while.

Plus Italy has a very long and good bench of players, so using starter players like Sylla egonu, De Gennaro is not required IMO.

Italy is aiming high this year, so no room for error or to waste energies in VNL. There's still plenty of time to catch up later.

• For now they dont.... but it's going to be important later on.

6th ranked team gets put in with the 1, 2, and 5 seed for the OG... that's rough.

everyone who won came from group B. wasn't Serbia ranked 6th when Rio was played? still made the finals.

• All they care about is the Olympics this year, no one sensible would risk an injury of an important player just weeks before the OG for a meaningless title like the VNL (I guess anyone would prefer to win a medal at OG than at VNL).

That depends on team's programme in preparations for Olympics, for example Brazilian teams in both male and female volleyball tend to play with their A-teams in VNL (previously World League and WGP) in order to prepare for the Games, and it's really hard to argue that Bernardinho or Ze Roberto aren't ''sensible'' in what they doing. There's no one way to prepare yourself for short tournament like Olympics.

• That depends on team's programme in preparations for Olympics, for example Brazilian teams in both male and female volleyball tend to play with their A-teams in VNL (previously World League and WGP) in order to prepare for the Games, and it's really hard to argue that Bernardinho or Ze Roberto aren't ''sensible'' in what they doing. There's no one way to prepare yourself for short tournament like Olympics.

Yeah, that's what Brazil does and in fact Brazil's women team does good in VNL but haven't done good in an important competition in a while (since Rio 2016). About Ze Roberto "rationality" (especially seeing the convocations) I'm not expressing my opinion since I would go OT.

Anyway, just because Brazil does it, it doesn't mean everyone has to follow them.

China and Serbia did differently and it paid off, so itìs time for a change for Italy as well.

• Yeah, that's what Brazil does and in fact Brazil's women team does good in VNL but haven't done good in an important competition in a while (since Rio 2016). About Ze Roberto "rationality" (especially seeing the convocations) I'm not expressing my opinion since I would go OT.

Anyway, just because Brazil does it, it doesn't mean everyone has to follow them.

China and Serbia did differently and it paid off, so itìs time for a change for Italy as well.

Didn't do well in Rio either (Korea, Japan, Russia all made the qfs), you'd have to go back to 2014 world championships

But they are a dangerous team no matter what.

• Didn't do well in Rio either (Korea, Japan, Russia all made the qfs), you'd have to go back to 2014 world championships

But they are a dangerous team no matter what.

Yeah , I phrased it bad, I mean they started to perform not so well since 2016 OG.

I don't deny they are still a strong team, but I think that giving your 100% in VnL and then being disappointed when it comes to OG and WCH it's quite frustrating, so again, my point is, I can't criticize Mazzanti (and other Head coaches) if they decide to save the players' health and energies, that's all.

And honestly I don't think players like Egonu, Sylla and other starters need more practice, they already had a long season and I repeat the risk of injury that everyone is ignoring in their posts.

• Anyway, just because Brazil does it, it doesn't mean everyone has to follow them.

In reality, like I said, there isn't one, good way to prepare your team for your primary competition like Olympics: you can play with your A-team final tournament of VNL and most of a first phase (Brazilian teams, Netherlands in 2016), you can play first part of VNL with your A-team and then use your subs (China), you can rotate full VNL your team with starters and subs within A squad (male Italian NT in 2016), you can play first part of VNL with subs and in the last part use your starters: it is basically irrelevant in this sense that all of those options were successfull for different teams, it is just a matter of preferences. What really matters is a good plan for your preparations and then executing it well.

Just let's hope that all teams will be in shape and health to show their best.

• In reality, like I said, there isn't one, good way to prepare your team for your primary competition like Olympics: you can play with your A-team final tournament of VNL and most of a first phase (Brazilian teams, Netherlands in 2016), you can play first part of VNL with your A-team and then use your subs (China), you can rotate full VNL your team with starters and subs within A squad (male Italian NT in 2016), you can play first part of VNL with subs and in the last part use your starters: it is basically irrelevant in this sense that all of those options were successfull for different teams, it is just a matter of preferences. What really matters is a good plan for your preparations and then executing it well.

Just let's hope that all teams will be in shape and health to show their best.

Yeah, but it's out of doubt that, seeing the particular (tough) situation of the italian league (best and most challenging league in the world) and especially Conegliano (who's enganged in A1 finals and CL finals till the 1st of May and has at least 4 starter players from the NT) and seeing how important olympics are, it makes more sense and it's more profitable to have them rest for the Vnl and use the tournament just to take the final decisions about the bench players to check who's more in shape and who deserves more a spot at Tokyo, while some players already have their spot for sure.

Plus, Italy exploited some players too much in 2019 (especially Egonu and Sylla), and the consequneces where always a fiasco: no medal in VNL, Egonu fainting for fatigue, Pietrini giving up on ECH probably due to the stress and an underwhelming ECH with a stupid loss full of mistakes in semifinal (I mean, probably they would've lost anyway, but not like that, with 40 mistakes, and also before they didn't play at their best).

Sure you can do whatever you want, but in this case (and this is what I'm talking about, not what other teams do), it would be more sensible to act this way, I don't see what's so strange about my statment that everyone got so triggered 😁

• Mazzanti give a long interview

He said what I already told about sylla and folie

That piva and morello are good prospects

That he consider 3 mb for olympics but it isn't defined yet

Even he talked about Ekaterina Antropova,he said she's interesting not only for her height and technique but also even she's coordinated for her height and can play as oh and opp

He keep on eye on her

• Uhm I will put egonu

Sylla captain when she's the first to ceack under pressure?

• There are rumors that Sylla will become new captain of a NT. Kinda understandable, considering she's been with NT since 2014 or so, and Chirichella's place in a squad is a question mark.

Being a captain is different responsibility and I am not really sure if she can carry that role. She might be good for out of court duties but she seems self-centered on court which is the opposite of how a captain should be in my opinion. A captain doesn’t mean the best player but should be a gatherer. Do you think she could do that or who could do that?

• Sylla is a vocal point of this group, she's a bestie with Egonu, I'm pretty sure she has pretty good contacts with all players and she has pretty big experience as a NT player (she's been always present since 2015). The same with Chirichella, but as I said, it would be odd to point her as a captain this year and then not take your captain to Tokyo, lol. Egonu is a leader on a court, so it's not like she needs a captain status to foster her role within a team.

I don't think it is that important, but if these rumors are correct, I find it as very logical decision.

• So this is maybe the sign that Christina will need to fight for her starting six position. Finally.

Folie, Fahr, Danesi. My pick...

• Now there's time for VNL

Who would be your pick,18 players

Me

Libero:De Bortoli,Fersino

Setter:Malinov,Orro,Bosio

Opp:Mingardi,Nwakalor,Sorokaite

MB:Lubian,Chirichella,Bonifacio,Fahr,Danesi

OH:Gennari,Pietrini,Villani,Bosetti ,Guerra