Korean NT 2021

• Lol knetz, the setter all short of course they need double sub to keep blocking line high.

i think the real problem is their defence is so weak, often time they just stare at the ball.

like KYK said this a totally new team, they lost 5 starter, this kind of result should be expected.

isnt this a perfect wake up call to korean volleyball, this is the reality right now, if there is no change gonna happen, they probably wont be competitive in world volleyball

• Yeah, Lavarini said he's planning to use double sub tactic for Olympics so that there's always 3 attackers in front row, and setter always in back row

He didn't use this tactic when Dayeong was setter though - I presume since she's a good blocker in front row and has good attack instincts too (definitely does more frequently/successful than other setters)

Only ever subbed her out to give her more specific instructions or let her rest from injury.

Heejin, Jaeyeong and Dayeong weren't just good at their respective roles as attackers/setter, but they were great at defence/digging in back row and blocks in front too - along with Kim Haeran (#1 in Digs at World Cup - gosh) of course.

• Yeah, Lavarini said he's planning to use double sub tactic for Olympics so that there's always 3 attackers in front row, and setter always in back row

Just a thought, I think this tactic would work well for Heejin. If she comes to the frontcourt and gets sub when in the backrow, it would minimize her using her knees too much. Blocking height would be so much higher and attack would be more efficient as well compared to Jihyun (who is good but just slams the ball without tactically attacking).

I really think Lavarini would get all veteran players for Olympics. Except for Dain, i think she would go as well even though she's young. It's the best option really. They may be old, but they play smart.

I also observed that in their past matches, the players, don't "coach" each other enough? Like I'm used to seeing KYK discussing with Hyojin, Suji, and Heejin whenever on court. Maybe it's just the camera work? that's why i don't see it heh 😅

I think this is also why Hyojin's performance slowed down a bit? Cus in the past, she and Suji would actively tell each other things they observe while watching each other on court, so they adjust themselves from each other's observations. I kinda don't expect this to happen when Hyojin gets paired to her hoobaes.

From a player's POV, it's actually hard to know what exactly is happening on court and analyze it at the same time your playing. So getting inputs from your teammates at the bench definitely helps.

Idk, this is just my two cents hehe 🤘

• Well said. I'm praying for Heejin's recovery everyday. The team needs her more than ever!

If things go well, they should bring Heejin and let her play when it matters the most / on the matches when they have a better chance of winning.

With Heejin on the team, I think Jeong Jiyun should be the backup OPP and Jeongah would shuffle between being an OH and OPP. Lavarini started Jeongah as the OH in the match with USA so this is not out of the question. Soyoung is the smarter player and receives better but against tall blocks, Jeongah is still the better choice. The height difference is too much for Soyoung to overcome IMO.

Korea has no better choice for a backup OH. Pyo Seungju is clearly not good enough. Lavarini said he brought Yuk Seoyoung because of her spike serve but I can't see it? :/I still remember being impressed by 19-year-old Kang Sohwi whenever she would get subbed in for a serve.

Between these two OHs and Jiyun, I'd go with Jiyun because of her spike power, and also because Korea needs a new face for the OPP position. She needs to learn to play smarter but I believe there is room (and time) for development with Jiyun (unlike Seungju for example. She's not gonna get better than she already is. :gone:).

For MB, I think the main MBs would still be Hyojin and Suji. Based on their performances at this VNL, I don't think Han Songyi, Park Eunjin and Lee Dahyeon have proven that they would definitely be better than Hyojin and Suji if chosen for the Olympics. For the backup, just bring one of the young players: Eunjin, Dahyeon, or even Lee Juah (many of us were surprised because she wasn't in the VNL squad).

Setter: for me it's Kim Dain and Yeum Hyeseon at this point, but I hope that they can get better and more consistent with their sets. Sometimes they put the spikers in an awkward position.

Libero: I'm not very happy with Oh Jiyoung and Han Dahye's play. If Lavarini is open to players not at the VNL, I'm rooting for Kim Yeon-gyeon and Yim Myoungok if she recovers.

The gap Kim Haeran left behind her is too big. Why did she has to "retire" just to come back right before the Olympics? ;(

On a personal note, I just want to see Kim, Suji, Hyojin and Heejin together one last time at the Olympics.

How would the young players fare when these veterans retire? I don't want to think about it yet but I hope the twins will eventually come back to lead them. This "punishment" certainly should NOT last forever.

• I kinda agree if OHs are KYK, LSY & PJA while Heejin & Jiyun will play OP. PJA can play both position anyway.

The veterans do have chemistry between them and they talk a lot among each other during the match.

As for libero, I hope there's better choices😅 what if Kim Haeran in current condition is better than Oh Jiyoung lmao i cannot imagine

Does Lavarini has time to do another selection before deadline for final list?

• 1 2

According to these articles, the NT will have one week of training in Hadong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do during the second week of their quarantine period upon returning to Korea.

They'll then get tested for COVID before entering the Jincheon Athlete's Village to continue training for the Olympics.

• It's similar to what Heejin said in her IBK video - she started weight training for the muscles used for the Right position (since they're different from muscles used playing as a centre)

But she didn't sound as confident as Suji about returning, saying it'll depend on the results, though she has full intention to work towards it

Her rehab requires 1.5-2 mths? iirc if all goes well, which is barely before Olympics starts

Will she be able to show a satisfactory condition to Lavarini in time for him to make his selection? He knows she's a good player for sure, but she hasn't played Right in over a year and might only have a week max to train with the team/ new setters

Not so much doubting her selection, but how much she's able to perform on the Olympic stage if selected (still better than Jiyoon who's still new though I'm sure) And the potential risk of her getting re-injured during the Olympics is worrying too

But most of all, I think the setter position is the most worrying on the team lol

At this moment, they all seem decent - but only to the extent of back-up setter. None of them fits the role & responsibility of a main setter.

• Will she be able to show a satisfactory condition to Lavarini in time for him to make his selection? He knows she's a good player for sure, but she hasn't played Right in over a year and might only have a week max to train with the team/ new setters

Not so much doubting her selection, but how much she's able to perform on the Olympic stage if selected (still better than Jiyoon who's still new though I'm sure) And the potential risk of her getting re-injured during the Olympics is worrying too.

Regarding this, I think the reason she chose the minor surgery (45 days rehab) vs the major surgery (6 mos rehab..i think) was mostly because of the Olympics. I'm pretty sure, she was advised to take the minor, because she's pretty much a HUUUUGE lost to the team if she doesn't participate.

Of course, it would depend on her recovery. But if Lavarini didn't have the intention to pick her in the first place because he might be "satisfied enough" with Jihyu as backup, then Heejin would've opted for the Major surgery.

Though I know where you coning from. Would a healthy Jihyun overplay a just-recovered-from-surgey Heejin?

On a sad note, I think it this would possibly be Korea's last Olympic appearance (for maybe the next few Olympics). Idk if Lavarini would continue being the NT coach, since his contract is only until Olympic games. So I'm really desperately hoping that Heejin and Suji could run in the OG since they deserve it so much!

• On a sad note, I think it this would possibly be Korea's last Olympic appearance (for maybe the next few Olympics). Idk if Lavarini would continue being the NT coach, since his contract is only until Olympic games. So I'm really desperately hoping that Heejin and Suji could run in the OG since they deserve it so much!

I won't say last, they can still qualify through Asian Qualifiers which is easier.

Thailand is rebuilding right now too, and Korea will have to as well once the older ones retire (Kim Haeran, Kim Yeonkyeong, Kim Suji, perhaps Yang Hyojin too unless she doesnt mind going 1 more time)

I highly doubt Korea will suspend twins permanently from NT (based on men's baseball, if they're indefinitely suspended for >3 years, they will be banned for life)

At the very most imo 1 more year of NT suspension (total 2), but what they did wasn't that bad - in comparison to other cases in men's baseball.

(also taking into consideration twins saying many of the accusations were untrue - i could be wrong, but I personally think the knife threat accusation is unlikely to be true, how could the player not have informed her own parents/coach/police if that had happened - but if true, I feel sorry for the victim of course)

There were male baseball players literally breaking the law like DUI, physical abuse (with evidence & actual physical injury) in school, sports betting, etc, all while they were adult players, but they were allowed back to the league except one dude (and future new draft picks)

With Jaeyeong, Dayeong, Heejin, Sohwi, Hoyoung (young 190cm tall centre/left), Kim Yeongyeon, Dahyun, Jiyoon, and more
    I think Korea still stands a strong chance against Thailand

• Lee Dayeong is going to play in Greece.

Unsurprisingly, this is already controversial issue in Korea. It looks like Heungkuk and KOVO were not expecting this.

Papago machine translation:

However, Heungkuk Life Insurance claimed, "Lee Da-young belongs to Heungkuk Life Insurance until June 30, and cannot arbitrarily pursue a transfer overseas because the three-year FA contract signed last year is valid."
    The Korea Volleyball Association also said, "It is difficult to issue an ITC (International Transfer Agreement) to players who have caused great social controversy."

Source: https://n.news.naver.com/sport…ll/article/023/0003619627

• This is funny. They won't let her play there and now doesn't even want to go abroad. Just let her go.

I hate how this organization handle this problem, undecisive, passive, and act so slowly. I hope Dayeong can make it to Greece.

• Unsurprisingly, this is already controversial issue in Korea. It looks like Heungkuk and KOVO were not expecting this.

Papago machine translation:

Source: https://n.news.naver.com/sport…ll/article/023/0003619627

Not controversial in that sense, Kim also signed contract with Shanghai without Pink Spiders knowing - just that in her case everyone somehow expected that she had the option of going back overseas (since she only returned to Korea due to covid)

Pink Spiders originally planned to hold contract discussions with Kim for the next season after she returned from VNL around end June.

When the news of her Shanghai contract broke out, Pink Spiders said they weren't sure and had to confirm too. The news was released by Kim's agency.

There was a bit of news of foreign clubs contacting to sign the twins right after they got suspended from the league, which Heungkuk denied when reporters asked (but knowing them, they would've denied even if it was true)

KVA's ban on issuing ITC (transfer) I believe, is only if Pink Spiders agrees and wishes to trade Dayeong to a foreign club, but KVA won't issue the ITC.

Dayeong will simply voluntary withdraw like Kim did if Pink Spiders refuses to trade her/ or if KVA doesn't issue ITC if PS agrees.

Don't think KVA is able to stop her from playing overseas once she voluntarily withdraws from the club/league entirely.

Though... it may possibly affect her future chances in National Team, if KVA decides to hold this against her as her current suspension hasn't ended/ been resolved.

edit: the only controversial part about this news is that their bullying news were still quite fresh/recent, and they haven't been released from their suspension by PS & KVA, or resolved the issue yet (i.e. court case, or receive forgiveness from victim)

• Is anyone familiar with how International Transfer in v-league works?

So far Kim is the only player who went overseas, after all the mess that happened when she first moved to Japan/Turkey because KOVO had no rule for international transfer in place, I know that v-league has now created a rule that allows clubs to transfer a player overseas under their contract.

i.e. If Pink Spiders agreed to Kim's transfer, she will fulfil her remaining year with PS overseas in Shanghai league instead, and once the year is up, her contract with PS will be over as well

But they didn't, on the reason that they wanted to re-contract with Kim as well

I'm confused by how this International Transfer works, because any player who is good enough to play overseas, no local club will be willing to let go of them.

What do clubs gain from trading their players overseas? Will the overseas club have to pay the local club more?

If they refuse to let go of them and force them to voluntarily withdraw, its also beneficial to have a star player who played overseas, have no choice but to play for your club when they return to Korea (like how PS tied Kim to them, she had no choice).

edit: sorry, Kim wasn't the only player. Kim Sanee played overseas before as well, but it was during her FA period, not while under a contract with a club