Italian NT 2021

• Oh Lanza is out. Did he performed bad in the italian league? I didn't follow the league so I don't have an idea.

• Galassi had really good VNL until he got hurt (?), so it looks like he's in a decent shape, he's always been labeled as the most talented Italian MB, in junior categories he was really great, so maybe he figured things out to the NT level after solid season in Monza.

nnnneil0929 , Lanza has been useless in a NT since 2018 or so, he found a better shape since only this season for the playoffs, when he was solid, but he's no impactful player whatsoever. I have no idea how specific players have looked like during a preparation, but if Kovar looks good physically, then he's a better player, with much more utility as a bench option, he has the best block among all wingers (and setters) that Italy has, De Giorgi subbed Leal regularly for one setting in a 1st line due to the fact that Kovar has an amazing block,.

The only controversy is Colaci over Balaso, he's very good, but Fabio in Civitanova has developed into the world-class player, with much more upside than Colaci, but I guess that the experience was an important factor for Blengini.

The real question mark is who's gonna be a 2nd OH, if that's Michieletto, and with absence of Lanza that's possible, then I like what Blengini is doing. During scrimmages against Tunisia, the one OH that played the most of time was Lavia, so perhaps they'll compete for a 2nd OH spot, and Kovar plays as a 4th OH and a role player.

• I can’t believe Lanza is dropped but what? Kovar!? Lanza just had his best season in years in Monza, even if Blengini decides to start with Michieletto, Lanza can bring much more from the bench than Kovar when needed.

• Lanza out is really surprising. I understand giving a chance to Michieletto, but Lanza should be considered first when compared to Kovar and Lavia.

Galassi over Ricci and Mazzone is also odd for me too.

As for Balaso, although I believe he really deserved it, it wasn't really a surprise, which is a shame as for me he may be the libero in the best shape atm.

• I don't think this is a drama, it's not like Lanza would have any real chances to play for a NT after Tokyo regardless of his decision. He deserves a right to express his feelings, after all he was a starter for Olympic finalists, but he wasn't an important part of this group after 2018. He may have some sorrow after being snubbed by Blengini in order to take Kovar for a 4th OH role instead, but there's a reason why he was left home, he's just not what he used to be.

• Are Zaytsev and Juantorena still playing after Tokyo?

I just can't think of anyone capable to take over.

OP: Vettori, Nelli, Pinali?<X

OH: Michieletto, Lavia, Rinaldi(?) who else?.....not someone like Bottolo/Recine please.

The thought of Daniele Lavia being a main OH of team in the next cycle(s) makes me feel sick.

• Zaytsev said that he's very interested in playing for De Giorgi, nothing more than that. Juantorena retired already after 2018 WCH, so chances for him to play after Tokyo are between ,,slim'' and ,,non-existent'', he's already the oldest winger that will play in Tokyo.

Among OHs/OPPs, Italy has one elite-elite talent in Michieletto, one serious talent in Rinaldi (MVP of WCH U19, a starter next year in Cisterna), one decent talent in Lavia (he should be really good if he finds some consistency, although probably not elite), and then group of young OHs who may turn out to be good, but it's not a given (Bottolo, Gardini, Recine, Magalini). Among OPPs, there are some talented guys who may be good (Stefani, Pinali, Gamba, Cantagalli, Romano), but only the first one for me shows a promise athletically to be able to play as an OPP on intl level.

But then, they have pretty great core of talented OHs/OPPs among 04-06 classes, like Porro, Orioli, Magliano, Barotto, Bristot. Especially Porro early on looks like a real deal, he's short (193cm probably), but he was MVP of ECH U19 already, a week ago he scored 40 points in 3-1 win in a final of Italian U-19 Championship, playing as an double-underager, and his best skill is receiving. I've seen this game and it was ridiculous.

So in long term, Italy has some tremendous upside, considering that they have the best depth on setter position, and pretty talented group of liberos. I don't think they'll be very good in a next cycle unless Zaytsev stays in NT and plays well tho.

• He may have some sorrow after being snubbed by Blengini in order to take Kovar for a 4th OH role instead, but there's a reason why he was left home, he's just not what he used to be.

Lanza played his best games in years this season in Monza, especially in the quarterfinals and semifinals. Unless he was injured when training with the NT, taking Kovar instead of him just doesn’t make any sense at all.

• Lanza played his best games in years this season in Monza, especially in the quarterfinals and semifinals. Unless he was injured when training with the NT, taking Kovar instead of him just doesn’t make any sense at all.

I watched majority of Monza matches this season, because I'm a fan of Adis Lagumdzija, and...

Lanza was useless for majority of the season: okay-ish in reception, non-factor offensively, average block and a serve. There's a reason why they decided to give a chance to Davyskiba as a starter next season, his stats were subpar. And then Monza peaked in the playoffs and made it to the semifinals, and you're right that Lanza played really well in few games. But if you ask me if those 3-4 games in the playoffs are a valid presentation of Lanza's current shape, considering how past his prime he has looked past 3 years, then sorry, but I would disagree.

My thought rather than "omg, he's back" was "okay, that's interesting, let's see what he'll show in the NT". But the only regular games of Lanza we had, were against Tunisia, where Lavia according to reports was the best player. So with Michieletto's improvement, it was quite obvious that Kovar and Lanza will compete for a 4th OH role. And I have no idea what Lanza showed during a camp, but maybe ... he was more like in past 3 years, than in those 3-4 games in the playoffs? And there's no controversy, because if you ask me whom I would prefer for a role of 4th OH, if I'm being completely honest, I'd say Kovar, because he can be used as a block sub, while I wouldn't use Lanza even as a reception sub with Michieletto-Juantorena duo?...

I understand why Lanza is disappointed, and I think he has a right to write anything he believes in, he played for a NT for 9 years or so, even when he was injured, what btw. was perhaps one of the reasons why he regressed so badly. Certainly, there's a possibility that he was wronged by Blengini, who is a fan of Kovar since 2017, when they both won a scudetto. But maybe there was no unjustice with him not being selected, and a fact he's out of NT and will play in China next year is a fair summary of his past few years?

And sorry, but if someone wants to run who-deserves-it-more-narrative, that's Antonov, who won an Olympic qualification as a starting OH in 2019, but no one really cares.

• I wouldn't say Lanza has regressed that much though as you said, the injury he suffered put a halt to maximising his abilities. He was pushing himself even when he wasn't in good shape and in turn his body could not keep up with what should have been his time to recuperate. He has the drive that is admirable unfortunately that would also be his undoing.

But I agree about Antonov

• I wouldn't say Lanza has regressed that much though as you said, the injury he suffered put a halt to maximising his abilities. He was pushing himself even when he wasn't in good shape and in turn his body could not keep up with what should have been his time to recuperate. He has the drive that is admirable unfortunately that would also be his undoing.

This is what I meant though, I agree that a fact that he played all year long even when he wasn't ready physically probably took part in him being a shade of himself for quite some time now. And I get positive vibes from him personally, he looks very passionate on a court and to this point I don't remember any misbehaviour from him. But a fact is a fact: he regressed from pretty great player on both club and NT level to okay-ish player not good enough to play on a level everyone expects from him.

In reality, both Lanza and Antonov were personally extremely unlucky that OG were postponed for a year. At this point last year, Michieletto was an 18yo junior and Lavia was trasferred to Modena after 1st year as a starter on Superlega level in Ravenna. It is probable that they both would have made it if not a postponement. But simultaneously, Italy got a lot better IMHO thanks to that, and, like it is well-said: the misfortune of one is the happiness of the other.

• I watched majority of Monza matches this season, because I'm a fan of Adis Lagumdzija, and...

I know it's off topic but what do you think about Adis' performance this season? Could you comment on his overall performance Is Piacenza a good choice for him? I think you are one of the best users here. :rose:I'm curious about your thoughts on Adis's performance and potential. Thanks

• I know it's off topic but what do you think about Adis' performance this season? Could you comment on his overall performance Is Piacenza a good choice for him? I think you are one of the best users here. :rose:I'm curious about your thoughts on Adis's performance and potential. Thanks

Sure. In general, Lagumdzija was among one of four-five best opposites of Italian league throughout a season. Going to Monza was a pretty great move for him: on the one hand, they're great in giving a chance and promoting their young stars (Dzavoronok, Plotnitski, Lagumdzija), on the other hand - they're pretty good team on its own, so due to circumstances (bad season for Modena), Lagumdzija had already a chance to play in the semifinals of Italian League. I observe him for 3-4 years already, and generally I very like his characteristic as a player: he's really tall, and at the same time he's really good in minimizing number of errors in spiking (his stats in this regard are outstanding), blocking and a defense. It's a rare combination to be that young, tall, and at the same time that polished technically, and this is what he showed past year. The only thing he's been lacking up to now from technical standpoint is a serve: he's good in this area, but not dominant like most of top opposites. My only criticism towards his overall performance would be his inconsistency: obviously, it is understandable considering his age and unfamiliarity with a new country, but objectively the number of matches that were a no-show from Adis, was a bit high. He improved in the playoffs, like a whole team, and played really great against Perugia.

Piacenza is a great move for him if he wants to keep his curve of gradual development. Piacenza is a richer team than Monza with higher expectations: for Monza, making it to the top4 was a dream-case scenario, for Piacenza making it to the top4 will be a realistic goal. And at the same time, considering how stacked Modena, Perugia and Civitanova will be, it's really hard to expect anything more than that, for me Piacenza will compete with Trento for a 4th spot, so it's not that Lagumdzija makes a huge jump in terms of quality of his team. And proportionaly, expectations toward Lagumdzija will be higher: it is rumored that Toncek Stern will be a 2nd OPP, so even if I'm confident that Adis will be a starter, in contrary to Monza, if he has a bad day, he'll be just subbed, so he has to be more consistent than in some moments past season. I think Bernardi is a pretty good fit as a coach as well, so is Brizard as a setter: philosophy of Bernardi's coaching (what's quite funny considering his characteristics as a player) is focusing on athletic volleyball and a dominant serve, and this is where Lagumdzija may develop further. And Brizard is a pretty quality setter with a season of an experience of playing in Russia, so he should fit both Bernardi and Lagumdzija characteristics well. The only question mark I'd have is a fact that he has a really decent competition on his own team: I'm not a fan of Toncek Stern, nor he had a great season in Padova, but he's really solid opposite.

• Anyone heard the doping situation with Alberto Polo?

I don't know details, but he was banned for two years, and I guess that the combination of substances, that was rumored to be found in his body (meldonium, testosterone, some covering substances and testosterone-based enhanced drugs) was really difficult to defend. I don't know if official sentence was published already, but I'm pretty sure that's not the end of those legal battles. Really curious case, especially considering that he was considered to be decent talent on middle, but his season in Piacenza was poor.