Russian NT 2021

• In that case, I suppose it will most likely be Butko and Kobzar assuming no huge surprises or injuries in VNL, as much as it sucks for Pankov. I can't see Sammelvuo not bringing Kobzar, and considering how little chances Kovalev got this year, it really gives off the impression that Sammelvuo has given up on him ... :gone: Butko has chemistry with Mikhailov, at the very least

• I honestly think this was a pretty fair list. These were the best players of the season. with one or another exception. but not any major non-inclusion.

The questionable choices were Kovalev and Surmachevskiy, as both were bench players, but I kinda sense they were brought in to help in the training, considering both have pretty strong serves with different styles.

It is also so nice to see Musersky back! He is certainly one of the greatest players in action. Once in an interview, he said it worked to play as opposite in Japan because there was a big gap in between the matches so he could recover properly. Thus, I don't see him playing day after day in this position in VNL, but he certainly can play some matches or OL. He can be lethal either way.

Libero is the achilles hill here. There is not a single good option.

• As of the moment, I think we have 4 players who are assured of the spot in the roster (barring injuries): Mikhaylov, Yakovlev, Kliuka, Volkov.

If we are talking about Olympics, then you only have 8 spots left including the libero. The pair of setters will be the most crucial pick IMO, so I hope Sammelvuo and co get that one right.

• Libero is the achilles hill here. There is not a single good option.

I would take Baranov and Melkozerov in VNL, and the better of the two will be the libero in Tokyo. Golubev does not deserve being called after a disastrous Final 6 campaign and a pretty mediocre season but he is the only one of the liberos who got the call who has significant international experience.

• He can mix up guys when playing with weaker teams but I think he needs to use the main players against teams like USA, Italy or Brazil.

I don't know but my gut feeling is that only one of Pankov or Kobzar is going and will be paired with the winner between Butko and Kovalev. It just makes sense to bring 2 different setters with different setting tempo instead on 2 who are very similar.

In that case, I suppose it will most likely be Butko and Kobzar assuming no huge surprises or injuries in VNL, as much as it sucks for Pankov. I can't see Sammelvuo not bringing Kobzar, and considering how little chances Kovalev got this year, it really gives off the impression that Sammelvuo has given up on him ... :gone: Butko has chemistry with Mikhailov, at the very least

Don't see Sammelvuo leaving Pankov for the sheer fact he is the MVP of the 3 championship of Dinamo last season. :gone:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I would take Baranov and Melkozerov in VNL, and the better of the two will be the libero in Tokyo. Golubev does not deserve being called after a disastrous Final 6 campaign and a pretty mediocre season but he is the only one of the liberos who got the call who has significant international experience.

I'd go for Baranov because

:whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Don't see Sammelvuo leaving Pankov for the sheer fact he is the MVP of the 3 championships of Dinamo last season. :gone:

Exactly! Sammelvuo is already too criticized by Russian fans that I don't think he'll leave the three-time-MVP Russian player (unless an injury happens).

Pankov and Kobzar are likely to be the setters. Butko could be left out like Grankin :(

• I would take Baranov and Melkozerov in VNL, and the better of the two will be the libero in Tokyo. Golubev does not deserve being called after a disastrous Final 6 campaign and a pretty mediocre season but he is the only one of the liberos who got the call who has significant international experience.

I think Melkozerov is a little bit promising. He's a good receiver, but not too defender.

• I wonder if there wasn't anything behind Pankov's MVPs, maybe it was a way to push him, cause in all fairness, he wasn't really that brilliant.

I don't like Butko and don't think he should be selected to Tokyo, but the truth is that neither Pankov nor Kubzar can be considered highly skilled setters. However, they do vary the game a bit more and in Pankov's case, the contribution in the serve and block is huge.

The real battle will be in the wings. Only Kliuka and Volkov guaranteed.

Golubev and Baranov were called up for VNL ... looks like experience prevails for now :|

• The roster was reduced to 16 players.

S: Kobzar, Pankov

Op: Mikhaylov, Musersky, Poletaev

Mb: Vlasov, Volvich, Kurkaev, Yakovlev

Oh: Volkov, Kliuka, Bogdan, Podlesnykh, Semyshev

L: Golubev, Baranov

Poor Voronkov. I think he's an amazing player and he could have shone with Pankov, but being on the bench is maybe why he's not there.

• This list probably please most people. No Butko, the main middles included, and reasonable choices overall.

I've been a fan of Voronkov and still think he is the best Russian receiver which is crazy for a 207m, but it is understandable his non-inclusion. Although a bench player, he had a lot of chances, and despite his good receiving skills he didn't deliver in attack and was inconsistent in other skills.

4 more people will be cut before Tokyo. I guess one libero, 1/2 OHs, 1/2 MBs, and Poletaev will depend on his condition. The universal condition of Muserskiy opens options.

• Mikhaylov, Muserskiy and Poletaev such a luxury at Opp only the Russian team has! I reckon if Poletaev returns to form in VNL, Dima should be switched to central I still think this is his best position..

• I have a gut feel Butko will return for OG, and the VNL will actually be a big test who between Kobzar and Pankov will be cut for Tokyo.. hope I'm wrong though :whistle:

• I have a gut feel Butko will return for OG, and the VNL will actually be a big test who between Kobzar and Pankov will be cut for Tokyo.. hope I'm wrong though :whistle:

:what: I hope so too. Sammelvuo mentioned that the 12 for OG will be chosen from the VNL list, but who knows what will happen.

Besides, if I remember correctly each NT is allowed to change 6 players during the course of VNL? I expect that Butko will probably come in at some point because I can't see them cutting him out completely just like that.

• :what: I hope so too. Sammelvuo mentioned that the 12 for OG will be chosen from the VNL list, but who knows what will happen.

Besides, if I remember correctly each NT is allowed to change 6 players during the course of VNL? I expect that Butko will probably come in at some point because I can't see them cutting him out completely just like that.

I think Russia will play with the full squad since the first week. Of course, Sammelvuo will rotate the team a lot. BTW, the coach could've chosen 18 players and include Voronkov, Lyzik, or Melkozerev ;( . As you guys said, maybe if someone flops, he'll call up another player for the Olympic preparation.

• Russian reception line looks pretty vulnerable if you ask me.. No one from the crop of current OHs has a stable enough reception, and against good serving teams (QF match against Slovenia ECH19 comes to mind) Russia will have a tough time..

• . As you guys said, maybe if someone flops, he'll call up another player for the Olympic preparation.

If Baranov-Golubev duo does not prove effective, I hope federation considers Omboachev for Tokyo as there is n other candidate other than Melkozerov

• If Baranov-Golubev duo does not prove effective, I hope federation considers Omboachev for Tokyo as there is n other candidate other than Melkozerov

Sadly, I think Obmochaev is banned for his previous behavior :(.

• The team is complete.