2021 FIVB U21 World Championship | Italy & Bulgaria

• I didn't watch a game, but according to stats, Canada committed 40 (!) errors in 3 sets against Brazil. :gone:They literally gave majority of points to Brazil with their errors, I don't know what was the last time I saw something like that.

Why is it that Canada and USA make so many errors in international volleyball?

• Why is it that Canada and USA make so many errors in international volleyball?

I don't know anything about this specific game, but in general American players are taught one-dimensional service strategy, in starting lineup of US in Tokyo basically only Christenson can switch to a float serve (but he's still predominantly spin server), so they're very vulnerable in their serving strategy on physical shape variable, fluctuations related to a good/bad day or playing in a new hall circumstances. In Tokyo, most teams were for some reason underperforming with their spin serve (statistically, the number of aces was much lower than in a club volleyball), so not suprisingly the most affected team was US. Obviously, float serve isn't that much dependent of aforementioned conditions, Italy at ECH was so effective in their service game (in comparison to Poland, they made almost the same number of aces with lower number of errors per set), because they mixed well strong, spin serves (Michieletto, Pinali) with floats (Anzani) and hybrid-serves (Lavia, Giannelli).

I'm not that familiar with Canadian volleyball (I mean, I don't track their game/players that closely, after all I have a private life :D), but it may be a case as well here, there are many similarities between US and Canadian volleyball at structural level.

• If Italy wins this, Michiletto will end 2021 with 3 international gold, am I right? What a player he is. I am soooo freaking excited to watch the rise of Michieletto and Arina!

The Arina x Michieletto ship need to sail :win:

• Tomorrow the 2nd phase will begin. Among medal contenders:

Pool E:

23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina

23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium

23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy

Pool F:

22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil

23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria

23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland

23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia

2nd phase will be played on September 27-29, on October 2-3 medal games will take place.

I predict Italy, Belgium, Brazil and Russia to advance, but we'll be much smarter pretty quickly, because early today the game between Poland and Brazil will be played, and I think Poland has solid chances.

For now, the biggest negative suprise is Iran which without Saadat in a good shape has been eliminated from medal games already. Among those teams fighting for 1-8 places, I guess Poland is the most positive suprise (although this is a talented group of players), although this game against Bulgaria (won 3-1 by Poland) was quite bad level-wise. Belgium was really close to make it to the ECH final a year ago, so them making a semifinal in the same age category here won't be an upset. Argentina was so-so, but their best player hasn't been any good for now, so maybe they'll improve. I wonder what's going on with Kurbanov, because he played against Canada in a 2nd game while didn't against Brazil. Italy did their job without Michieletto (played a set against Czech Republic), although Czechs with assured 2nd place didn't play with their A-team, so they weren't tested by any measure.

The real tournament will begin tomorrow.

Games are streamed by Volleyball World on YT.

All information: https://en.volleyballworld.com…-world-championship-2021/

• Watching BRA vs POL and oh boy was Darlan a great spiker

• Brazil needs to work better with their setters in near future. Really a limited player. I expected much more from Adriano he isnt great good neither in atrack and neither in defence/reception. The libero and Darlan are the better players in this team.

• Poland has better OH, Setters and MB.

Darlan is really impressive at this age. Adriano didnt do any impact till now imo.

• Wish they subbed Arthur earlier than 3rd set because Felipe #20 was not doing good.

• Poland has better OH, Setters and MB.

Darlan is really impressive at this age. Adriano didnt do any impact till now imo.

Should I say Darlan is stronger (and better) than Allan? Man because his spikes and serves are so powerful

• What is this Felipe doing there? He should be converted to libero. Also, having a 1.76cm backup setter is just...8|

• What is this Felipe doing there? He should be converted to libero. Also, having a 1.76cm backup setter is just...8|

the one who looked like a kid?

• 30pts for Darlan and his attacking percentage is the highest in Top 10 Attackers

• Should I say Darlan is stronger (and better) than Allan? Man because his spikes and serves are so powerful

He's not stronger and better than Alan for now, that's for sure, he just has a bigger potential, and I agree on that. People have doubts about him due to his size, but athletically he's Wlazły/Poletaev level of specimen, it's crazy to watch. Alan is a great opposite, but lacks qualities to be among very best like Kurek or Sokolov, on the other hand Darlan is a freakish athlete.

Nonetheless, all Brazilian OHs and setter were so subpar, I'm not too convinced with Adriano to be honest from what I've seen him both at continental championship and here, he's still a good talent, but maybe got a little bit overhyped (we'll see) due to circumstances (huge upset in QFs of Superliga). Poland has one great talent individually (Gierżot) as well, but even though he was outplayed today by Darlan, the rest of a team is simply better in every area.

But I guess this pool can be tricky: Brazil still has some chances to advance, they were better than Russia until their meltdown in a 1st phase, but it will be really complicated from now on, and even two victories doesn't mean they'll advance further.

they could have brought Ramon from U19 Team. He's 196cm.

If the setters were really great i could understand the height. For exampple Darlan isnt tall but really good.

But any of those setters are great.