China NT 2022

• Wu Mengjie definitely needs to be on that WCH roster. Wang Yifan I'm still unsure about. WCH would be a great experience for her, but Wang Yizhu might be a better alternative. Too bad Cai Bin focused on using her only as a serving substitute. Some wing spiker ideas I thought of below.

option 1: Same as VNL, just adding ZCN

OPP: Gong, Chen Peiyan

OH: LYY, ZCN, Wang Yunlu, Jin Ye

option 2: Bring only one of Wang Yunlu or Jin Ye to allow a spot for Wu

OH: LYY, ZCN, Wang Yunlu/Jin Ye, Wu Mengjie

option 3: Leaving out Chen Peiyan, but having more alternatives at OH if need be or "serving substitute" in Cai Bins terms

OPP: Gong

OH: LYY, ZCN, Wu Mengjie, Wang Yunlu/Jin Ye, Wang Yizhu/Wang Yifan

option 4: Bring Wu Mengjie and one of Wang Yizhu or Wang Yifan in place of Wang Yunlu and Jin Ye

OH: LYY, ZCN, Wu Mengjie, Wang Yizhu/Wang Yifan

Option 2 is the safest one imo, China doesn't really don't need both Wang Yunlu and Jin Ye (option 1) for WCH especially of ZCN is back. Low key I'm liking the possibilities with option 3 which allows to bring one of Wang Yizhu and Wang Yifan in the place of Chen Peiyan who's spot I think is not secured. Having extra OHs allows more options if ZCN performance is up and down. We still don't know what form she's in after her surgery and long time out of play. Option 4 is the most risky with having young inexperienced back ups.

• sorry, too long to read, whichever option doesn't involve Wang Yunlu please. ;) jkjk

serious answer, i haven't given it much thought yet. I think of the 3 backup pins (assuming ZCN returns, if ZCN won't/can't return the entire discussion is kinda pointless -- we'd finish 4th in group E and lose to Italy in the quarters) should involve Wang Yizhu for sure (and no, not as serving sub). I'm not quite sold on Wang Yifan, after all she is only 16, or Wu Mengjie because of her history of injuries (they also look kinda thin -- unhealthy levels of thin). So the other two spots are kinda open.

Setter i feel like Yao Di knows better than to return until Cai bin is fired, so 99% sure it'll be DX and DLY.

Libero should be Wang Mengjie + a young one (either Ni Feifan or Xu JIanan, i don't care) but again knowing Cai bin... god knows what would happen

Middles I think YXY and WYY should go for sure obviously, so the question is two backups. I think Zheng Yixin has an advantage with asian teams that play quick-tempo volleyball, but there is only japan in our half so not completely sure on that either.

So one outside, one opposite, and 2 middles I've no idea about who should go.

if ZCN is back, please just take Wu Mengjie and Wang Yifan...

Cai bin really made me forget about Wang Yizhu. :gone:

• We're likely getting Wang Weiyi again for WCH. :aww:

I think Yao Di is waiting for Zhu to make a return, we all know both of them are bffs.

Unfortunately YXY needs to be replaced when she's not on it. If she's ineffective and leaving holes in the block China needs to try someone else. But if Cai Bin is only going to use the two of them then there's no point in bringing a 4th MB. Gao Yi/Zheng on another free vacation in Poland/Netherlands??

Main thing is if ZCN is not there I'm not watching WCH. Might even have to start cheering for USA. <X lol

Btw are teams allowed to bring extra players in the case of injury/covid?

• Cai bin really made me forget about Wang Yizhu. :gone:

Same except I forgot about Miao Yiwen. :S

Is Chen Peiyan really ahead of her? Hard to say since Chen barely got opportunities as well.

The saga of finding a suitable back up OPP continues into Paris 2024...

• Poor GXY. Hope Cai Bin does not overuse her. It will be a huge loss /problem if GXY got injured. Besides, GXY needs rest and down time. Need to have a second opposite.

Unfortunately he will. Cai Bin is not confident in his bench and use of substitutions. There was lots of opportunities where he could've sat Gong out to rest and let Chen Peiyan play, but he did not.

Out of all the wing spikers Diao knows how to set Gong the best so she will go to her often.

• This thread should compile a whole memorandum and send it to Cai Bin, bet it would be of so much worth to the team :teach:

• This thread should compile a whole memorandum and send it to Cai Bin, bet it would be of so much worth to the team :teach:

it’s better to write to CVA to request that he undergoes a health check. He couldn’t see clearly, have hearing problems and memory loss.

All the signs are there....a player is not playing well, he missed that....fans and netizens scream at him, he couldn’t hear....and he forgets how to substitute players. ||

• News reports that Wang Wenhan (MB) and Zhou Yetong (OH/OPP) will join the U20 team for the Asian Cup.

The wings will look good with Wu Mengjie and Wang Yifan at OH in addition to Zhou at OPP, but still the youth setter is a weakness.

• It’s 12 mid nite here and it should be 9 am in Eugene, Oregon where the 2022 world athletics championship is taking place but there is no morning session today...Oh Boy, did you hear about Wang Jianan in the Long jump...he was out of it until his last jump !

As for China’s performances in recent vb tournaments, I do agree with most of you that there’s room for improvement. Yes, we have a lousy coach in the senior team, but fans being fans are never completely satisfied...I am hearing that some US fans are not happy because Plummer started in the QF, and Brazilian fans are angry because Ana Cristina didn’t start in the Finals. Another thing, we lost some matches, not because we played badly, but because other teams improved...for example, Japan.

A bigger worry, I feel, is that we aren’t going in the right direction in certain fundamentals or underlying aspects....someone alluded to the fact that, there may be “non Volleyball factors” in team selection. I hope it isn’t true.

There is an over reliance on one or two players in a team. LYY in the senior team, Wang Yifan in u20 and Wang Yindi in u18. This practice is flawed.

Have a more comprehensive selection process where potential NT players take part in tournaments, and friendly matches. We should look at their current forms instead of past performances. The WC’ships gets underway in 2 months time, Some friendlies (maybe with selected European teams) could be arranged for players not involved in VNL and the AVC Cup.

Finally, I do agree with the suggestion that if a suitable coach cannot be found in China, it is better to put national pride aside to look for someone abroad.

:)

• maybe, also look at Yang Jia (MB) future Yanni ? and Xu Jianan (Libero) who is small but really fast :roll:

No one will be able to compare to Yan Ni. She's made a name for herself through all her hardwork.

Young and current MBs need to work on their block judgement which was the area that Yan Ni excelled in. Liu Yu (Zhejiang) had good judgement in the Chinese League, but Cai Bin didn't select her.

• Another thing, we lost some matches, not because we played badly, but because other teams improved...for example, Japan.

I completely 100% disagree with this. In fact, if it is possible to disagree more than 100% on something, that would be my position. (Sorry this kinda triggered me lol)

We didn't lose to USA because they played perfectly/close to perfectly/had their A team that we just couldn't beat, we lost because we couldn't capitalize on their mistakes.

Same story with Italy. The coach could have made a few blocking/hitting substitutions and the sets could have gone differently. How many leads did we choke away under Cai Bin's watch?

• I completely 100% disagree with this. In fact, if it is possible to disagree more than 100% on something, that would be my position. (Sorry this kinda triggered me lol)

We didn't lose to USA because they played perfectly/close to perfectly/had their A team that we just couldn't beat, we lost because we couldn't capitalize on their mistakes.

Same story with Italy. The coach could have made a few blocking/hitting substitutions and the sets could have gone differently. How many leads did we choke away under Cai Bin's watch?

IMO, the current line up of CNT is and will not be able to defeat the NTs of USA, Brazil and Italy even if these teams are playing average. When CNT were playing against these teams, these teams were playing quite badly and gave lots of free points to the Chinese team.. There should be changes in the CNT roster to be competitive.. Cai Bin thinks he did a good job placing 4th in the preliminary and 6 in the final round. Did China gain or lose points in the world ranking? Pretty sure China loses points.

• IMO, the current line up of CNT is and will not be able to defeat the NTs of USA, Brazil and Italy even if these teams are playing average. When CNT were playing against these teams, these teams were playing quite badly and gave lots of free points to the Chinese team.. There should be changes in the CNT roster to be competitive.. Cai Bin thinks he did a good job placing 4th in the preliminary and 6 in the final round. Did China gain or lose points in the world ranking? Pretty sure China loses points.

I don't like the current world ranking system anyways, but to answer your question, he lost 12 points (5 in prelims and 7 to italy)

It is true that we are an underdog against USA, Brazil, and Italy. Still, you can't deny we had chances esp. against Italy and Cai bin threw those chances away.

• No one will be able to compare to Yan Ni. She's made a name for herself through all her hardwork.

Young and current MBs need to work on their block judgement which was the area that Yan Ni excelled in. Liu Yu (Zhejiang) had good judgement in the Chinese League, but Cai Bin didn't select her.

Agreed. In order to get even towards the direction of Yan Ni's formidable wall, MBs need to train up their 1) Block intuition (where to place the block) 2) Read the setters 3) Read the hitters direction and type of spike 4) Speed and reaction of quick jumps and lands

Missing Yan Ni again :rose:

• it’s better to write to CVA to request that he undergoes a health check. He couldn’t see clearly, have hearing problems and memory loss.

All the signs are there....a player is not playing well, he missed that....fans and netizens scream at him, he couldn’t hear....and he forgets how to substitute players. ||

Me writing it in Cantonese: Diu lei choi bao meh dou em chi tou , ngo tei gong gei toh bai jor

(Forgive the bad romanisation, I tried my best and there's no rule of thumb either :cheesy:)

• Just watching the men’s QF.....Japan vs France....there’s hardly any rallies, their spiking and jump serves are so powerful they’re making a sound like a rifle shot ! Well, maybe it’s just the echo peculiar to this stadium. The men’s game is certainly different from the women’s game.