Korean Women's NT 2022

• It seems Hyejin has the same case as Japan's Haruka Miyashita. Miyashita suffered a nervous breakdown in 2018 and has been unable to regain her confidence. Or at least that's what most people suspect.

Without Dain and Hyejin, who will be the main setter this time?

Ahn Hyejin was reported to have hyperventilation for the Tokyo OQTs and sent back previously so same case.

I once thought it was due to the long plane flight, but searching it up again I see that its due to accumulated fatigue and stress - which happened for her even during regular season. (source)

Which I suppose may mean we'd never see her on the NT again.

Main setter will be Yeum Hyeseon

I agreed. I think if they had another team it would be ideal, as it would be 8 teams over four rounds for a total of 28 matches each team. However, I don't think reducing the number of games will happen because their broadcasting deal could be a stumbling block.

So I think Korean V-league teams really need to learn to implement player rotation.

Definitely would be ideal, but seeing how Pepper is performing despite the big hopes everyone had for a new club... an eight club probably won't come anytime soon. Agree that games won't be reduced due to broadcasting deal.

• Korea's third friendly match against Bulgaria ended in 4-1 (5 set match)

19-25, 26-28, 20-25, 22-25, 15-8

Korea's block timing was really bad except for Lee Dahyun who got quite a number of blocks in.

Yoo Seoyeon and Lee Seonwoo has some promising power in their spikes, the Lefts also made use of block outs a lot

Sad to say this since I used to like her on Hillstate, but Kim Yeongyeon is no good. Her feet are too planted on the ground, she picks her position and she's stuck for any ball that flies elsewhere. Han Dahye was definitely better.

The Bulgarian coach mentioned in his interview at the end that they played their young back-up libero, not sure if the other Bulgarian players were starters or not.

• Not really a good start.. I am so frustrated with seeing Pyo Seung Joo on this team..

Honestly, Coach Cesar must be desperate..

I'm hoping the team is just saving their energy and not trying to get hurt..

• I'm vehemently against PSJ. She adds absolutely no value to the team...

Well, if not Pyo Seung Ju, who should take her place? Given that many Korean players right now are either with questionable injury (as noted by Cesar) or are held back by their clubs (like Lee Sooyoung and Ahn Hye Jin).

In my opinion, compared to the current outside hitter lineup, she's got better receive (I mean, compared to Park Jeong Ah) and has a more stable attack (compared to the youngster Sunwoo).

Did you say this after watching the recent match though? I wouldn't want to choose her either, but there are simply no better options in Korea

Like throwawayanyway said, and to also add that at least she's willing to play for the NT unlike other players

I am still of the opinion that the retired players should come out of retirement. The player pool is simply too small for talent. So many other countries had their retired players return to help their team - and they are older too. Korea's recent retired players are just early 30s.

• Imma rant here a bit after watching the KOR - DOM match. If that match is a precursor for things to come, then we are up for an extremely bumpy ride. 🤯

What Korea needs is NEW BLOOD.

Losing KYK after the Tokyo Olympics have always been inevitable, together with their 2 middles Yang Hyojin and Kim Suji. Thats why since 2016 Rio Olympics, they've been slowly introducing to the international stage the new generation: Yeum Hye Seun, Park Jeong Ah, Lee Ja Yeong, Lee So Young, Kang So Hwi, Lee Dayeong, and in the later part during Lavarini's time: An Hyejin, Park Eunjin, Lee Juah and Jeong Ji Yun.

As of now, only Park Jeong Ah and Yeum Hye Seun are consistently playing for NT. The twins are out. Kim Heejin is also out. Most of the players mentioned are either nursing an injury or are not allowed by their clubs to join as regular season is also going start in a month. Pyo Seung Ju and Hwang Minkyung aren't really fit as starters for the NT due to lacking in attack or height. The others are simply too young and inexperienced to play internationally.

Another glaring problem, is that they all lack the TENACITY to play. Kim Yeong Koung used to get criticized by commentators because she has a tendency to nag or get angry at her teammates in court. But now, no one is pushing the group to get out of their comfort zone or to make an extra effort. The players look much more concerned with getting injured than trying their best. For a top Asian team that isn't China, their defence is subpar and their attack even more so. Do I smell a Lee Jung Chul return just like how Manabe came back? I hope not but Cesar isn't exactly "pushy".

The key players of the next gen are also constantly changing; we know with how Korea treats women, the Lee twins may never represent Korea internationally again. But why isn't Jeong Ji Yun here? Or Kang Sowhi (I heard she's "injured") and Lee Soyoung (what she up to)? At least have someone relieve Park Jeong Ah of receiving duties. Maybe she could go back to being an opposite and focus only on attack because her receives since the VNL have been :wall:

Speaking of opposites, because they lack a natural one, the sets become sooo predictable: they either set at the OH or middle (slide attack) EXCLUSIVELY. During one such play with DOM, Yeum Hye Seun set 4 times in Park Jeong Ah's direction at the OH side. She has no other option. That's why the middle blocker for DOM just stayed in that area lol

Team Korea is suffering from anemia that can't just be solved by a blood transfusion. They need a new heart in the group to get them pumping again, and I don't think they are gonna find one before Paris 2024. Unless Kim returns (let the girl rest jesus) or the Lee twins (they will be hard carrying this group).

Tokyo 2021 Semi-Finals seems so long ago... :gone:

• Lee twins (they will be hard carrying this group).

Would they even want to return, seeing the national team the way it is?

Another glaring problem, is that they all lack the TENACITY to play. Kim Yeong Koung used to get criticized by commentators because she has a tendency to nag or get angry at her teammates in court. But now, no one is pushing the group to get out of their comfort zone or to make an extra effort.

KYK coaching from the sidelines would help.

• I'm sure they would want to return. I know Lee Jaeyoung is still not signed anywhere, and she's finished with her therapy I think.

KYK as a coach would be phenomenal. We need more female coaches in volleyball.

From your original comment, I don't really understand why the players seemingly do not want to represent the national team. I understand the giant salary of K-league, but that isn't something that happened overnight from 2021 to 2022.

But in some ways it's like the peak of sport, I guess, truly becoming a professional sport like soccer or tennis where you actually play for money instead of "representing countries" and getting fame, then using the fame to get money.

• From your original comment, I don't really understand why the players seemingly do not want to represent the national team. I understand the giant salary of K-league, but that isn't something that happened overnight from 2021 to 2022.

I actually don't think its fully the player's decision. I think their clubs have a huge influence on who could go and who couldn't. I know Lee Soyoung is one of the highest paid players in Korean V-League, thus KGC (her club) wouldn't want their "Star Player" to miss the regular season due to NT commitment or injury. If you are paying someone 490k+ dollars, then you'd want them readily available to play cause her salary eats up a large chunk of their budget. Not to mention their brand deals and the amount of people willing to watch in the court just for that specific player.

Very Korean Idol-like in terms of business and marketing lol

• WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..

This team is absolutely hopeless.. what are they doing there? I don't see any improvements. I don't see them motivated. I don't see them trying. They just stare at themselves like a deer in headlights when something goes wrong.

Such a shameful moment.

• WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..

This team is absolutely hopeless.. what are they doing there? I don't see any improvements. I don't see them motivated. I don't see them trying. They just stare at themselves like a deer in headlights when something goes wrong.

Such a shameful moment.

Lack of quality players and attack is very predictable. Non existent blocking. A repeat of VNL in the cards

• Cesar and the team though, need to be ready for the pandemonium that they are about to receive once they go back to Korea.

Really?
    I still expect a small(er) group of fans to be waiting at the airport ready to take photos and greet their favourite players saying "you've worked hard" and give them gifts (and more snacks lol)

You're forgetting they are idols, not athletes

The media is still ridiculously talking about aiming for Paris 2024, bidding to host VNL 2023 and how Erhung will be the next KYK and ace of Korea volleyball haha

So non-volleyball fans would be none the wiser about how poor the team has performed

KVA has updated their website with the latest NT roster, latest YouTube videos, but refuses to update their world ranking which has dropped from #9 to #24

(it currently still displays #9)

• Really?
    I still expect a small(er) group of fans to be waiting at the airport ready to take photos and greet their favourite players saying "you've worked hard" and give them gifts (and more snacks lol)

You're forgetting they are idols, not athletes

Well, I guess the players are safe. But Cesar though, is an easy scapegoat to this mess. A "foreigner" who made some digs at the organization and clubs. A sort of "renegade".

Uptight Korea wouldn't like that, but still, KYK's open support to the group may still save them from the backlash.

But I wonder if KYK is secretly frustrated about this whole situation. Like, her legacy and hardwork for years are just gone in a few months.

• Well, I guess the players are safe. But Cesar though, is an easy scapegoat to this mess. A "foreigner" who made some digs at the organization and clubs. A sort of "renegade".

Uptight Korea wouldn't like that, but still, KYK's open support to the group may still save them from the backlash.

But I wonder if KYK is secretly frustrated about this whole situation. Like, her legacy and hardwork for years are just gone in a few months.

He's signed with the Korea NT till the 2024 Paris Olympics, so once they miss the Olympic Qualifiers and similarly the Paris Olympics he should be out

Not sure if he will still remain for 2023 VNLs if Korea does not qualify for the OQTs

I am of the opinion that no coach can salvage such a team of this calibre with such a lack of drive/fitness (except Lee Dahyun!!), but he seems like a pretty bad coach too. Unable to adjust to opponent tactics and making poor calls. His (extremely) slow and steady pace is clearly not getting Korea anywhere.

As much as I dislike him, it seems like Lee Jungcheol is what's necessary for this NT. A strict and harsh leadership to force them into working hard and being serious about training.

Why would KYK be frustrated? She retired and gave up on going for an Olympic medal. She used to criticise players who missed the NT due to injuries (unlike now, those were genuinely serious injuries) openly to the media, but she said absolutely nothing this cycle. She even posted showing that she's she's supporting the NT recently.