Korean Women's NT 2022

• Anyone knows how good Seo Chae-hyun is as a setter? From U18 NT

Yeah, I hope Ji-Yunnie will recover quickly.

Looking at the 25 players wide roster for South Korea at the VNL don't you think GS Caltex YOO Seo-Yeun would have been a better choice to replace Ji-Yun? Ye-Rim attacks don't fill me with much confidence. TBH this is how I feel for most of the OHs selected for this NT. It is either their attacks are lacking or it is the serve-receive that is their Achilles' heel.

Anyone knows how good Seo Chae-hyun is as a setter? From U18 NT

Not sure how good she is as a setter. I haven't managed to find time to watch those recent high school matches closely. If you have trouble identifying her, she wears No.11 for Sunmyung Girls' High School. Apparently, Seo Chae-Won [MB] from AI Peppers is her older sister (1).

• Looking at the 25 players wide roster for South Korea at the VNL don't you think GS Caltex YOO Seo-Yeun would have been a better choice to replace Ji-Yun? Ye-Rim attacks don't fill me with much confidence. TBH this is how I feel for most of the OHs selected for this NT. It is either their attacks are lacking or it is the serve-receive that is their Achilles' heel.

Let's just say there's no OH in Korea at the moment whom I feel can score well on the National stage except for Park Jeongah

Sohwi next, but still a bit inconsistent. And not sure why Soyoung gets blocked so often on NT stage (both are unavailable I guess)

So I'd rather have Go Yerim, who's more stable on receives, and is more experienced in meeting the ball and having varied offence patterns.

Jung Jiyoon has a larger potential, but is still new to OH. Less stable on receives and while her spikes have a lot more power & higher jump, I'd expect she'd spike into blocks just like Soyoung does at the moment till she gains more experience.

Yoo Seoyeon... doesn't impress me that much personally haha

She would make sense since Korea is rebuilding with a young team, but Yerim would be a lot more stable

• Black jersey doesn't look so bad after all, but only because the collars look camouflaged 😅

Numbers being invisible will help them lol

Since other countries can't recognize who's who (i heard Japan changes up jersey numbers due to that?)

• Korea Women's U20 NT Roster [Confirmed]

No.PlayerPositionSchool/V-League TeamGradeD.O.B.Height [cm]Weight [kg]
    3KIM Sa-Rang (김사랑)SHanbom H.S. (한봄고)32004.03.1217558
    13PARK Eun-Ji (박은지)SIlshin Girls' Commercial H.S. (일신여상)32004.06.2917668
    PARK Eun-Seo (박은서)OHPepper Savings Bank (페퍼저축은행)--2003.04.1617871
    15PARK Su-Yeon (박수연)OHHeungkuk Life Insurance (흥국생명)--2003.04.1717666
    4KIM Se-In (김세인)OHKorea Expressway Corp. (한국도로공사)--2003.02.0617358
    1LEE Ye-Eun (이예은)OHJecheon Girls' H.S. (제천고)32004.04.2817861
    7LEE Ji-Su (이지수)MBKGC Ginseng Corp. (KGC인삼공사)--2003.06.1818369
    8KIM Bo-Bin (김보빈)MBHanbom H.S. (한봄고)32004.06.2018070
    12KIM Se-Bin (김세빈)MBHanbom H.S. (한봄고)22005.06.16
    16YANG Yu-Kyeong (양유경)OPIBK Industrial Bank (IBK기업은행)--2003.10.2217562
    JEONG Yun-Joo (정윤주)OPHeungkuk Life Insurance (흥국생명)--2003.04.1417662
    10JEONG Ye-Won (정예원)LiHanbom H.S. (한봄고)32004.10.1616557
    KIM Seo-Yun (김서윤)OHSehwa Girls' H.S. (세화고)32003.08.2418568
    11LEE Min-Seo (이민서)OPSunmyung Girls' H.S. (선명여고)32003.07.2317662
    18GONG Eun-Seo (공은서)OHJungang Girls' H.S. (중앙여고)32004.01.0717868

Head Coach (감독) : EO Chang-Sun (어창선)

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Half of the U20 team consists of 1st-year players from five of the women's V-League teams whilst the other half are 3rd-year high school students.

PARK Eun-Seo and her younger sister PARK Eun-Ji have both been included in the team together.

All three middle blockers (LEE Ji-Su, KIM Bo-Bin, and KIM Se-bin) are either current or former players from Hanbom H.S.

Middle Blocker KIM Se-Bin is the only player to be in both U18 and U20 Korea Women's NT teams.

UPDATE:

2022.06.01 - It was reported that PARK Eun-Seo [OH] has withdrawn from the U20 NT as she is still having difficulty with her left ankle after surgery. Third-year high school student KIM Seo-Yun [OH] from Sehwa Girls' H.S. will replace Eun-Seo in the U20 NT. (1)

2022.06.17 - An article mentioned that senior high school and southpaw LEE Min-Seo [OP] from Sunmyung Girls' H.S. has joined the U20 NT for the injured JEONG Yun-Joo [OP] (unknown). (1)

2022.07.02 - From a video posted on Bingoman Youtube channel showing U20 NT at the airport waiting to leave for the tournament. However, there was no sign of KIM Seo-Yun [OH] but there was another player GONG Eun-Seo [OH] from Jungang G.H.S. (GONG Eun-Seo plays as an MB for her H.S. team but was shown as an OH in the video).

• At yesterday's training session in front of the media, KIM Hee-Jin was excluded from ball exercises. According to a KVA official, Kim Hee-jin recently underwent an MRI examination and is not overdoing it due to an abnormality in his knee.

Source: 1

This doesn't sound good. Ji-Yun is already out and I presume she was the backup for Hee-Jin in the OP position. If Hee-Jin can't play then I guess PARK Jeong-Ah might be moved there. After her, it would be either JUNG Ho-Young or CHOI Jeong-Min.

Yoo Seo yeon is an expert on block out, idk how it pan out on international competition.

I agree, Seo-Yeun is great at getting the block-outs. If I remember correctly Seo-Yeun was in the NT for the VNL a few years back. Not sure if she got much game time. But back then she was only an inexperienced bench player for Korea Expressway in the V-League.

but Yerim would be a lot more stable

Ye-Rim has her moments where she crumbles big time. I can't remember exactly but one time, I think it was against GS Caltex, Ye-Rim gave up like 6 or 7 points from serve-receiving after GS constantly bombarded her with serves.

• I agree, Seo-Yeun is great at getting the block-outs. If I remember correctly Seo-Yeun was in the NT for the VNL a few years back. Not sure if she got much game time. But back then she was only an inexperienced bench player for Korea Expressway in the V-League.

She was there for VNL 2018, not much playing time from what I recall though

She would be a better choice since NT is rebuilding from younger players

Just wondering, between Hwang Minkyung and Go Yerim, how would you guys compare their receives and attacks? And if you had to choose between one of them haha

• Just wondering, between Hwang Minkyung and Go Yerim, how would you guys compare their receives and attacks? And if you had to choose between one of them haha

Well they're both defensive OH so their attacks are... meh I guess. Quite rare for them to score over 10 points in a match. Their low attack shares at the club is also a contributing factor to the low number of points. Neither has the height advantage, especially on international stage.

On average, Yerim is a bit better at receiving but Minky is better at digging.

Between the two, I would pick Minky cause she has better serves. Also agree with theloneracer that Yerim is more likely to crumble under pressure. I remember most of the time when Jiyun was subbed in last season, it was to replace Yerim when she became unstable.

• According to this #11 PARK Hye-Min [OH] and #18 CHOI Jeong-Min [MB] have been left out of the team for their first match against Japan.

Who do you think will be the starting lineup?

For me, if KIM Heejin is ready to go, then the other six players I would start the match would be PARK Jeong-Ah and KANG So-Hwi on the left-hand side, LEE Da-Hyeon and LEE Ju-Ah in the middle, YEUM Hye-Seon as the setter, and the libero NOH Ran (it was a toss-up between the two liberos). If Hee-Jin isn't starting then shift PARK Jeong-Ah to OP and pick one of the other OHs to partner up with So-Hwi or alternatively put JUNG Ho-Young on the right-hand side.