Korean Women's NT 2022

• After the 2022 international competitions - which Korea will likely take a beating from

Will Korea try to convince their retired players to come out of retirement? Or will they consider bringing LJY and LDY back?

There were already strong rumours of Korean clubs offering JY, though I don't think she will be returning next season due to her injury

Still, this isn't the best Korean NT lineup, hopefully there's a better one for WCH

Kim Da-in would be a better setter (though she hasn't started on international stage before), Im Myung-ok would be a much better libero

Soyoung for defensive receiving (not so much front row attacks)

• Who would be added to WCh roster as an upgrade assuming that KYK and twins won't be back? Is MB Hyojin also retired for sure?

• Who would be added to WCh roster as an upgrade assuming that KYK and twins won't be back? Is MB Hyojin also retired for sure?

Hyojin and Suji retired along with KYK, they planned on it after the last Olympic cycle so its for sure

Hyojin also just got married in 2021, no idea if she's planning on starting a family or anything

She's still great though, won MVP in the Korean league just last season - so I hope she reconsiders NT (very unlikely)

WCH roster hasn't been decided, but some key players like Lee Soyoung, Kim Dain, Ahn Hyejin, Im Myungok, Oh Jiyoung were left out of this roster

Not for any injuries either, so people wondered if younger players were chosen for VNL instead to give them experience while the rest were being kept for WCH

• I don't know what others think but I think we need more strictness with the team. Having a foreign coach does apply less pressure versus let's say a national Korean coach who is typically more aggro with high expectations. I wonder if the team really understands what the coaches are saying tbh.

How does everyone feel about Cesar as the head coach?

• I just can'ttttttttt. Congrats to Canada but 0-4 shutout with no winning sets. This better be eye opening to the Korean organization.

At the end of the day, this is Korea's own doing. Their overreliance on KYK over the last decade with no foundation built to nurture younger players in the international stage is the cause of this.

All we can do is cry about it but CHANGE is needed.

• I just can'ttttttttt. Congrats to Canada but 0-4 shutout with no winning sets. This better be eye opening to the Korean organization.

At the end of the day, this is Korea's own doing. Their overreliance on KYK over the last decade with no foundation built to nurture younger players in the international stage is the cause of this.

To be fair, there was talent, in the form of the twins, but they were taken out for non-volleyball reasons.

• To be fair, there was talent, in the form of the twins, but they were taken out for non-volleyball reasons.

They definitely are a big missing piece to this puzzle for sure. I just don't know how likely it is to bring them back.

What Korea needs is retraining, restrategizing, and rebuilding confidence.

KYK literally left a 99% gap that is hard to fill right now.

• I don't know what others think but I think we need more strictness with the team. Having a foreign coach does apply less pressure versus let's say a national Korean coach who is typically more aggro with high expectations. I wonder if the team really understands what the coaches are saying tbh.

I did notice that the interpreter doesn't seem to be the best and isn't as clear on things, so not sure how much the players understand him

I read some Korean fans blaming coach Cesar - and he certainly isn't a Lee Jung Chul if that's what you're looking for, but I think it's too early to judge whether its the team incompetency or him.

Players and coach are all posting "it's all about the process" so I can't tell

The players also started training way before Cesar joined them and had a coaching staff & team with them so I don't fault his short time with the team

Korea tends to over rely on aces and look to them as their leader/confidence, when it's not KYK it was LJY, even in v-league with their foreign players.

But there was change, in 2019 Korea showed they no longer needed to over-rely on KYK with a spread out offence by KYK/Heejin/LJY through stable digs (Kim Haeran) and stable/fast setting (LDY)

They even got through the Asian Olympic Qualifiers without KYK, though she joined for the finals against Thailand on painkillers

I'm sure the team would've still won the finals without her playing, but I guess she wanted to take things into her own hands and leave out any doubt considering its her final Olympic run

I think the biggest loss in KYK rather than her skills was her leadership on the team, since every player looked to her in terms of ability, experience, seniority. Just having her on court probably gave the others confidence in their team & themselves.

Even if LJY is allowed to return (more likely than LDY), I wonder if the other players would necessarily 'respect' her as the ace. Setting is a huge problem too.

• they should forget paris 2024, and focus on 2028.

I dont know what kind of volleyball they wanna play, bad passing, slow and weak spiking power, mediocre defense the only good point is their serve. (Is it because the ball is Mikasa?)

This is the result of their Vleague is over reliance on foreigner attack, overpay their local player, ridicilous contract term make it hard for young player to move abroad or locally often times they just choose to retire instead.

I mean, if you in 12th grade and not applying for the draft, you cannot enter draft for 5 years, whats the point of this?

A very long league season is not helping either (player fatigue and injury).

KOVO and the federation doesnt have a great synergy they all just think about covering their own asses.

Anyone want to add more? Lol

• ridicilous contract term make it hard for young player to move abroad

KOVO and the federation doesnt have a great synergy they all just think about covering their own asses

Ridiculous high pay and great environment that no player would want to venture overseas? They can leave once they're FA, just locked in for first few years

I mean, a player like Soyoung is getting paid 650million krw (~$480K euros) annually lol

She wouldn't get anywhere close to $100K if she had played overseas

But strongly agree about KOVO & federation just wanting to cover their own asses

• I think it makes sense for rookie to have to stay locked to club, otherwise having a high draft pick would be meaningless for a club

(imagine if all #1 draft picks left overseas, better to have 2nd draft pick)

It's normal that clubs operates for private interest, its why the league is well funded after all

But, I think they can consider shortening it to 4 years instead of 5

Can clubs really drop you anytime? Even mid-way a 3 year contract?

• That whole "it's all about the process" is some vague crap. 0-4 isn't clearly helping believe that.

Anyways, sure there was "change" - when other spikers pulled their weight more like LJY, PJA, and KHJ. And yes, aces need to be relied on generally to get points. And you're right that KYK's godly presence played a positive influence on the team overall.

The team needs an overhaul. I hope that they FOCUS and RETRAIN leading up to the second VNL week.

We can only hope..

• i think they should make it 3 or 4 years.

Of course with mutual agreement.

pretty sure we'll see a few of them goes to amateur league next season

• The team needs an overhaul. I hope that they FOCUS and RETRAIN leading up to the second VNL week.

We can only hope..

I don't think they can improve within VNL itself, but they could be more prepared for WCH (though if the lineup changes again... which it should, then idk)

There's no overhaul, these are Korea's remaining best players (except setter & libero positions we have Kim Dain & Im Myungok who are much better)

Only ace attacking option is LJY, Jung Jiyoon has potential but not ace potential - but I'm hoping she can become better than Sowhi/Soyoung

i think they should make it 3 or 4 years.

Of course with mutual agreement.

3-4 would be much better

yeah mutual agreement, though Go Yoomin's case showed how clubs can pressure a player into doing so...

I honestly question if Ha Hyorim really retired by her own choice, she was doing so well too

Also heard its possible for the contract to be re-negotiated in between? (lowering the salary, etc)

• Overhaul can always still be done, just to varying degrees. Swapping out a setter and libero makes a big difference.

We don't need the next KYK right now. What we need is better teamwork, communication, synergy, etc. Clearly, the team doesn't have that. The team has potential but something about them just doesn't seem right. It's such a shame they had to start out this way but it maybe needed to happen as a wake up call.

I don't think having a foreign coach is the problem (don't forget that you guys get the best Olympic result with a foreigner coach) also more strictness is not necessarily a good thing. It is not like the team is losing because players behave frivolous.

A coach can do only so much when the talent he has is so limited. For example, trainer can be blamed for Dominic republic which has many talented players individually but they can't play a good volleyball due to bad coaching.

As mentioned above, Korea should change their over reliance on one single foreigner player. They should allow 3 foreigners on court, which will change their 'all balls to one player' game style and their overall league quality would increase. Right now Korean players only attack against very short block throughout the league, having multiple foreigners will force them to learn how to attack against high blocks as well. Allowing and encouraging Korean players to play abroad could be another solution. Look at Thai players, their league is not strong but almost all starting players are playing abroad, taking more responsibilities and learning from different volleyball styles