Netherlands NT 2023

• I am still a bit sceptical about this. It could be that she's just there for some practice and also nothing has been announced. But true it's weird she's there.. maybe it is a comeback indeed, idk..

H. Jasper and Stuut are with the team in Hong Kong but will be in the audience because only 14 players can be on the match form. Plak is listed as OH/OPP. Maybe 2 years in Japan did her reception well ;)

• I was a bit surprised to see Daalderop as captain, but I like the idea! I think it's a bit out of comfort zone, but it could help her to grow as a player! She is the best volleyball player, but now she also has to take real responsibility and lead the team:)

• Knollema is injured?

Migraine apparantly. Very unfortunate because she was playing better than both Daalderop and Marring earlier this week.

Just some random thoughts after VNL:

- Baijens really proved herself on big stage after not getting much chance under Selinger. The most reliable scorer in the team.

- I liked watching Van Aalen a lot getting a lot of responsibility her first real summer with NT.

-I was thrilled that Knip was back, but she looks stressed on court and needs to work really hard to do the bare minimum in reception and defense. If Schoot comes back in decent shape she should take her spot easily again, I'm afraid.

- I don't see this team making Olympics with the OPP problem. Scholten is not at the level and Plak doesn't fit the quick system the team is playing. She has to tip every quick set, only once Russian moonballs were coming her way she could get the footwork and approach right. But it's ugly to watch and not fitting the system.

Again, I would like to see Marring given a try at OPP. Should fit the quick sets very well with lefty swing. And her attack is much better than reception.

Haven't seen enough of Mulder.

-Daalderop was okay. Not clutch in attack and reception, unlike Alexa Gray in the last match vs Canada during final moments.

• Dutch has a very easy path to semis in ECH they might collect enough points to reach Olympics via world ranking if they also keep a good level during Olympic qualifications

• Little VNL recap :)

Just like last year we miss out on the final by 2 wins. If only the 3-2's against DR, Italy or Canada would have fallen to our side... Otoh it also shows that we need to gain more experience in playing with pressure. Choking has been an issue with the NT for many many years and it would be nice to see this group getting rid of that part

But the good thing is there are way more reasons to be positive than negative. Nova Marring was this years revelation, kinda like what Dambrink was two years ago. I am VERY impressed by her and based on just this VNL I dare to say there's a bright NT future for her. Her attack is extremely powerful and reception was holding on well considering she was an OPP this past season.

Dambrink has a little problem. Although she is better than Scholten, I don't think anyone missed her in the last week while she wasn't there. I would be good for her if she plays as starter in Schwerin next season. We finally saw some of the "old" Plak again. The crazy powerful pipe attacks are back, but she for sure needs improvement on her attacks from zone 1 and 2. Also I saw her horrendous SLiDe AtTacK at least once this VNL and I would like to start a petition to prohibit that by law lmao. I would like to see Mulder getting some more chances, but it's hard to give everyone lots of playing time. Lastly I want to say already that Anne Buijs should be a serious option as opposite for the NT. I think that it's still the position we have the biggest issue with and she showed her potential in Praia.

I don't have much worries about the OH position. Knollema was above my expectations after her years in Italy and I am sure she will shine in Stuttgart. Daalderop did well this VNL and her defense (all of the OH's actually) was good as well. As said, with Nova Marring we got a huge asset in this department. For the fourth OH I would go with Marrit Jasper I think. She can pass very well and could stay in the front row of needed. The opposite goes for her sister. I don't think she adds much to the national team, apart from her exceptional defensive skills. Iris Vos got some chances but didn't impress me (yet?).

Indy Baijens left once again a good impression behind. Her connection with both setters is fine, only thing is that her serve is too much miss or hit in my opinion. Timmerman and Lohuis were great as always. Fourth MB would be Polder, I am curious to see if she will be in ECh because she deserves it with her performance in Italy.

I love Van Aalen's setting techniques. Sometimes her creativity can be a bit much, but it also brings her game a lot. On top of that it goes well along Bongaerts who is a bit more conservative as setter.

Credits due where credits due, Reesink did not disappoint me this year. I have never been a big fan of her but she played good and deserved all the chances she got. She might lack leadership skills needed as libero though. Knip was okay-ish, but definitely needs improvement in reception. I don't consider Schoot an option at this point anymore, so I think these two are locked for the next tournaments.

And finally shoutout to Koslowski for changing the playing style to one that fits this team so much better. That old fashioned Sovjet Union volleyball style under Selinger let my eyes bleed. The girls seem to enjoy working with Felix and the whole vibe around the team is just so much better

That was my TED talk - curious to hear your opinions :)

• knip=flop, Hester Jasper needs to train to become libero. On key points when they target Marring on serve they loose. Dambrink fits better than Plak (she needs those moonballs). Van Aalen lacks experience so Bongaerts should start in important matches. Daalderop could grow in her role as captain so good choice. 10th place in the world is a good result but they will have to fight to keep it.

• Nice summary! I agree that knip was a flop. Don't know what shape schoot is in, but I think she should be considered.

Marring was a great revelation as you mentioned. I hope she won't disappear next year like what happened to dambrink

• Vakifbanks sports director contacted Sarah van Aalen the day after Potsdam won 2-3 against Vakifbank in CL last season. From there on they slowly went into the process and eventually signed the contract. She said she's very excited but also looking forward to it

• I don't think she will play, but Grothues is listed on the longlist for ECH...:/

https://www-old.cev.eu/Competi…aspx?TeamID=12611&ID=1377

• As far as I can see on social media, at least the following players are with the team fighting for a EuroVolley spot. It's 16 players now, so I think 1 setter and 1 OH will be cut, but it might be 1 MB as well. Setter position is the most interesting for sure

S: Dijkema, Bongaerts, Van Aalen

O: Plak, Dambrink

OH: Daalderop, Marring, Knollema, M. Jasper, H. Jasper

MB: Lohuis, Timmerman, Baijens, Polder

L: Knip, Reesink

• For me it could also be an option to cut Dambrink and take 5 outside hitters to ECH.