Netherlands NT 2023

• I agree, Marring could go to opposite if needed

Edit: however, H. Jasper doesn't add much value, so maybe bringing Dambrink would be better then

I don't think we should be so harsh on Hester Jasper. She got injured in the first match of VNL and after that, she never really got a chance... She had a great club season and with Daalderop - Knollema - Marring as outside hitters, it's not wrong to have both Marrit and Hester Jasper on the bench to strengthen the reception line-up!

• Based on the friendly matches I expect the following roster for ECH:

S: Britt Bongaerts & Sarah van Aalen

OPP: Celeste Plak & Elles Dambrink

OH: Nika Daalderop, Jolien Knollema, Nova Marring & Marrit Jasper

MB: Indy Baijens, Juliët Lohuis, Eline Timmerman & Tessa Polder

L: Florien Reesink & Kirtsen Knip

Team works better with Bongaerts and van Aalen, than with Dijkema. I have a lot of respect for Dijkema, because she is a dedicated athlete. Her experience is a big value to the team, but now it's just time for another generation. Maybe Koslowski will do a Karch and take 3 setters to ECH:D Dambrink really disappoints me and I would pick Hester Jasper above her, but I don't think Koslowski will do that. Marring did a good job today as opposite and I think she will be a good solution on that position if Plak doesn't deliver. Also Polder didn't make a good impression on me, but she wasn't at VNL so maybe missing connection with the setters.

• Glad to see Koslowski play Marring at OPP.

I just hope Van Aalen does not get cut.

Dambrink skipped some steps in making the NT. Let her play a pro season outside of NL first (not sitting on bench) and earn that spot.

If she isn't good enough to play in Schwerin over Tutku, she certainly ain't good enough for Dutch NT (yet).

• Having watched yesterday's full match and today's first two sets, I find Bongaerts the least best setter of the three in all honesty. She was pretty bad yesterday and it was not because of the reception. When Dijkema came in at the end of the set, Baijens immediately had some perfect slide attacks. I prefer Dijkema's creativity over Britts, although the creativity has a price sometimes. I am still a big Bongaerts fan but she did not shine like she can this weekend. What is for sure is that the standard Dijkema/Bongaerts time is over. Van Aalen should definitely get a spot.

I hope to see this line-up in Eurovolley:

S: Van Aalen, Dijkema/Bongaerts (really can't pick)

OPP: Plak, Dambrink

OH: Daalderop, Knollema, M. Jasper, Marring

MB: Lohuis, Timmerman, Baijens, Polder

L: Knip, Reesink

Marring playing as opposite has a reason obviously, so a three setter roster is a real option. In that case Dambrink should be cut.

• I also would have cut Bongaerts, she is going down hill last couple of years after very mediocre club seasons. I think dijkema's experience would be more useful for this young team than Bongaerts who's just not as creative as Van Aalen and not as consistent as Dijkema.

Opp position is alarming. Dambrink had one good summer and since then she is just not delivering. And Plak is Plak! Very inconsistent and limited player as Opp since her attack from zone 2 is not great. I would have put Marring as Opp instead of Dambrink and bring Hester as 4th OH. This team can use a good backrow sub for both Knollema and Daalderop

MB is the best position for Netherlands although ironically this position had the biggest lost after both Beliën and De Kruijf retired.

Knip is not in a good shape so I hope Reesink will get more chances to play as a starter

• A logical choice in my opinion. Although I feel bad for Polder who made great development in the last years and is doing well in Italy. A pity that she is sacrificed for a 3rd setter, but the other 3 middles are better

I'm fine with the decision to take 3 setters. Chemistry in the group seems really good and I believe Dijkema has a big share in that! Her experience is a big value to the younger players. I only hope that van Aalen and Bongaerts will be the main setters:) About Polder, I'm not so sorry for her to be honest... I agree her development has been good last few years, but she doesn't seem fully committed to NT. Not playing VNL for example.

• Only a few hours left until ECH starts for this team! :woohoo: Imo it's a good mix of young talent and experienced players this year. I wonder if Felix will use the same starting 7 each match or keep on roulating just like VNL? If he chooses the latter I hope one match we can see Sarah-Elles-Indy-Eline-Jolien-Nova-Florien together on court so the average age is below 23 :lol:

And maybe most importantly: the atmosphere within the team seems to be fun according to social media! Hopefully this will translate to the court and we get to see some exciting matches from them :love:

• do you think netherlands losing to france as a failure?

Imo this game gonna determine who will win this group and going to semis

France has made huge steps and playing good

• Netherland has been "miracled" by the draw and, unless they decide to commit suicide, they have the road paved towards the semi-final where they will meet the group winners of Serbia and Poland.

For them, not winning the group and, consequently, any result lower than a final for bronze (almost certainly with the loser of Italy-Turkey) would be a total failure…

• do you think netherlands losing to france as a failure?

Imo this game gonna determine who will win this group and going to semis

France has made huge steps and playing good

Personally, it would depend on the way they play. If they give everything (low error rate + diverse attacking) but France turns out to be better, I'd be completely fine with it. However, if they go their old ways and suck at passing again, or it looks like they are not trying hard enough, then it would "hurt" more. I think that game will be about whether we can stop Cazaute because I feel like that is our weak side in blocking :/ but if NL can bring their A-level, they should be able to win but I'm not tooooo confident tho. Let's see first how they handle the 'big points' this tournament lol.

I've watched some interviews this morning with Sarah, Nova and Laura's podcast, and from that I got the feeling that they are aiming for semi finals but also to improve game by game. And I believe it was Myrthe or Laura who acknowledged in the podcast that France has won the Challenger Cup and should not be underestimated! So all in all it will be a nice battle between the two teams for top spot (and hopefully the one in 2nd place can surprise and kick Italy out of course :box:)

• Important match against France today.

After first three matches Van Aalen won the setter battle for me. But I believe she is assigned a support function this tournament, and she only played the 2nd match because Dijkema and Bongaerts were sick.

But they should be able to beat France with any setter if the reception and defense improve.

• I'm really rooting for Sarah to be the starter as well, as she is the most fun to watch. I just hope that the team recovered enough from the virus and they can reach their VNL level. Otherwise I'm afraid it won't be enough to beat France

• For me Netherlands will not struggle with France at all. I didn't say it but I consider NL a dark horse contender for the title. Not the most likely, but a dark horse.

• Great surprise that Van Aalen started and Plak performance.

But they should be able to beat France with any setter if the reception and defense improve.

Yikes, the reception and defense was even worse. Reesink was subpar.

Today I start my #Grothuesforlibero campaign. I truly believe she could be the same as Debby Stam in Rio. Really need someone like her to stabilize this reception line and cover the OH when necessary.

Only I don't know if her 'ego' allow that role.

• Knip must have still been sick for not even subbing a few points, or do a double libero system. It was worth a shot when 4 points behind.

Currently at the U21 WCH there is a 17-y/o girl playing as backrow sub after already playing EYOF this summer. I really hope that she can grow into being a potential first libero in NT in a few years, as she is one of the more talented youngsters (and also experience with setting).

• Knip must have still been sick for not even subbing a few points, or do a double libero system. It was worth a shot when 4 points behind.

She still suffered from migraines and has not fully trained either.

Today I start my #Grothuesforlibero campaign. I truly believe she could be the same as Debby Stam in Rio. Really need someone like her to stabilize this reception line and cover the OH when necessary.

Only I don't know if her 'ego' allow that role.

I said it a lot times before, even when Schoot was still there. I don't think it will ever happen and we have to do it with Reesink and Knip.

• Marring will not play anymore this ECH :( Hester Jasper now part of the selection.

https://www.facebook.com/10004…7uhbvJEmjcQHKCt48FZx4Zul/