Turkey - Vodafone Sultanlar Ligi 2023-2024

• Julia had the best attack % today (52%) among all the pins in the match, served well and made some very good digs. She did make a couple of silly mistakes, but they seemed to be due to miscommunication and she was definitely not the only one doing it on the THY side. Dicle basically gifted a kill for Arina on 23-24 on the third set after a huge comeback from THY (that was only possible because of Julia's service run + because she made a huge dig on Arina) and no one said anything about it. Van Ryk was blocked on many crucial points. Neri was a mess offensively. Macris set a lot of weird balls.

And I don't even mean to single out anyone on THY's side, they were being messy as a team. It just kind of bothers me how everyone is very quick to highlight Julia's mistakes (which were very few today) but no one wants to praise her when she does well. I get the frustration with Zé's favoritism, but a lot of you seem to be putting your personal dislike for Julia above the objective facts. Just look at the stats.

And again, stats don't tell the whole story. My comment was not only about today's match but my general observation of the last few matches. My impression is that, as I wrote, she's playing with a lot of passion and effort and probably she's the type of player working the hardest in training, always trying to improve, which is why she arrived on the level she's at. BUT as soon as it goes beyond the things you can learn by practising, let's call it "intuition" in the sense of finding the right solution in the right moment, she clearly has her limits.

• They should just let Vargas rest, she is in worse shape with each game and looks exhausted.. girl hasn’t trained for 4-5 months and they expect her to sustain the intensity of 10 hard matches in 1 month when she came back, cmon..

Nope, she had 5 months to rest, she just needs to catch up with playing time. It is just a matter of time before she gets back to her top shape, and a player can't get into shape without playing good games. Fenerbahçe will need her during final playoffs

• Nope, she had 5 months to rest, she just needs to catch up with playing time. It is just a matter of time before she gets back to her top shape, and a player can't get into shape without playing good games. Fenerbahçe will need her during final playoffs

are you sure ? She just doesn’t look the same at all… rest might be better for her long term career for turkey

• hande serving into the bottom of the net is getting old. It’s literally so predictable I knew she would serve into the net for the first point of the match as soon as I saw she was the first server. Her second serve was even worse…

• And again, stats don't tell the whole story. My comment was not only about today's match but my general observation of the last few matches. My impression is that, as I wrote, she's playing with a lot of passion and effort and probably she's the type of player working the hardest in training, always trying to improve, which is why she arrived on the level she's at. BUT as soon as it goes beyond the things you can learn by practising, let's call it "intuition" in the sense of finding the right solution in the right moment, she clearly has her limits.

I agree that stats don't tell the whole story, but they are an objective depiction of the game. We all have our biases and that can sometimes affect how we perceive a player's performance, so analyzing the stats in addition to our overall impressions of the match is important when we want to make a fair assessment.

If you went back to that third set meltdown from THY and counted each player's mistake, you'd find that the mistakes were actually fairly evenly distributed among the entire team. Yet, the mistakes that stick out to everyone were all Julia's. That's the bias I'm talking about.

• And they are playing with energy and confidence.
    Reception is better than I expected so I wonder how long that will hold up, but so far they are playing better than Ecz.

yea I feel like they are gonna win this match lol.

• Anyway I hope Vakif loses. I don't want Gabi playing a best of five series, I just want her back home so she can rest.

It’s 1 game difference rly.. best of 5 between Vakif and Fener would be over in 3.

If they lose they still need to play 3rd place series for CL tickets so possibly 3 games as well

• is Beyza better than Jovana?

Beyza was really really good last match but idk. Jovana was finding some form blocking lately and at her good level stevanovic is definitely better but

• is Beyza better than Jovana?

Jovana had rly great 2 last games, but she was awful for the most part of the season.. still I expected Ferhat to start with Jovana even in last game since she was showing up recently

Beyza is solid but she is not for this level generally, Ecza need to find better local and foreign MBs for next season and let go of both Beyza and Stevanovic

• It’s 1 game difference rly.. best of 5 between Vakif and Fener would be over in 3.

If they lose they still need to play 3rd place series for CL tickets so possibly 3 games as well

They'd still need to play one more match against Ecza, though. And Fener is not consistent, they can very well lose a match or two.

You also don't play a fight for third place the same way you play a final series. And Gabi is the type of player who will play through an injury if that means she can help her team win a title (which actually HAS happened in the past two seasons and it affected her performance in the NT).