S.Korea - 2023-2024 V-League (Women)

• So for two consecutive years, GS Caltex wins the KOVO Cup!

To be honest, this year is not as exciting as last year. There were not a lot of younger, up and coming players here to watch out for, like Moon Jiyoon and Kim Sein last year. And IBK and GS Caltex mainly used their starting players anyway so it wasn't anything unpredictable. I was hoping for Supreme to win here lol to give Korean volleyball a further shake up but they were also pretty inconsistent.

Thus ends the KOVO Cup, congratulations to the winners:super:

• Actually what reason did KYK sit out of KOVO Cup?

Even NT players joined KOVO Cup and competed

I think they're allowing the youngsters to play? This might be KYK's last season so its best to invest on the remaining players to secure post-KYK era; it would also give the coach more options for players to rotate in the event of unforseen circumstances.

• Lee Jaeyeong provides new information regarding the school bullying allegations here:

As for the bullying part, anyone who follows Korean volleyball news at least knows the fact that the accusations are primarily aimed at Lee Dayeong (since they didn't go to the same school). So it's pretty much clear that Jaeyeong is not part of the bullying controversy. However, she got dragged into the drama because of their accusation of Kim Yeongkoung, which in the last slides of this post, seems to be their stand. Despite the vagueness of her answer, everyone knows it's really about KYK, so it wouldn't surprise me if she won't be endeared to the public once again. But if they continue to say these things, we must recognize that there must be a sliver of truth to this.

Sportsmen, athletes, or celebrities aren't always the nicest people out there. I believe there's some ego fighting that happened in Pink Spiders when 3 superstar athletes started playing with each other. KYK, an internationally acclaimed superstar of the volleyball scene (and honestly speaking and no offense meant, at the twilight of her career), and Lee Jaeyong and Lee Dayeong, Korea's rising stars and pretty much the face of the local volleyball scene in Korea. I wouldn't be surprised if KYK did push her weight around with the team, and how the twins might have felt regarding this. It was just bad team management all around. Their coach could have talked to the team better, and honestly, Lee Dayeong's cryptic posts (which started this whole mess) added fuel to this considerably small fire. Lee Dayoung never had this problem with Hyundai.

My hopes of seeing Jaeyong play in the league this year (or any year probably) is definitely no longer viable. KYK is a golden child of Korea, and any slight against her is probably like an attack on the nation. Bad timing as well given that KYK is vying for an OIC position.

• last two pics reads as KYK won't hit LDY's sets?

• As for the bullying part, anyone who follows Korean volleyball news at least knows the fact that the accusations are primarily aimed at Lee Dayeong (since they didn't go to the same school). So it's pretty much clear that Jaeyeong is not part of the bullying controversy.

LDY & LJY were in the same school, the incident happened in 2nd year of middle school and they transferred schools (not sure if because of the incident or just family relocation)

There's more information (if you'd take their word for it) on the incident. Basically Dayeong had a group of friends she was close to, and they got into a conflict and she fought with one of them, and they both apologized to one another and settled it back during school days. But 10 years later 4 of their friends accused them and are trying to claim 100 million won each from the twins.

She had an interview too but I think it's not translated yet (link) where she said KYK did not spike her sets at all for 7 months (during training I suppose)

Problem is, their incident became international-level news when it broke and the public which doesn't follow news assumes that both of them were school bullies according to the claims made at the time, and the term 학폭 holds a very strong meaning of consistent bullying & tormenting (like in The Glory if you will)

So something which only involved DY & was a once-off conflict became so large because their club made them apologize & keep quiet for so long.

My hopes of seeing Jaeyong play in the league this year (or any year probably) is definitely no longer viable. KYK is a golden child of Korea, and any slight against her is probably like an attack on the nation. Bad timing as well given that KYK is vying for an OIC position.

KYK will not be IOC nominee, Park Inbee (golf) was selected instead (link)

Surprisingly comments were not as favourable for KYK as expected considering her popularity

• Wow, thanks for the clarification. I heard that LDY and LJY were not together during that time so LJY was never directly involved in the bullying controversy. Honestly, it's just weird how big this issue got. Of course, bullying is wrong, but it's not so easy to decipher as if it's between black and white only.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the "bullies" caught during this controversy's heyday are found later to not be guilty.

• Wow, thanks for the clarification. I heard that LDY and LJY were not together during that time so LJY was never directly involved in the bullying controversy. Honestly, it's just weird how big this issue got. Of course, bullying is wrong, but it's not so easy to decipher as if it's between black and white only.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the "bullies" caught during this controversy's heyday are found later to not be guilty.

Yup LDY said it herself that LJY was not there when the conflict happened

Same school but completely unrelated to her

Bullying 학폭 is wrong, but this case seems more like a single isolated incident of conflict between friends that got too heated

Based on how they were once friends and even watched movies together a few years after the incident, this is definitely not bullying as one would define it

• KYK will not be IOC nominee, Park Inbee (golf) was selected instead (link)

Surprisingly comments were not as favourable for KYK as expected considering her popularity

I was hoping KYK would be nominated...and then elected as IOC member. I think the Gold Medal that Park won in Rio2016 helped her a lot. Anyway, I still hope Park can become IOC member, one more voice for Asian sports doesn’t hurt :)

• Most likely. They alluded to a senior who grabs the net out of frustration, something KYK has done in a national broadcast. Cursing as well is a pattern that can be alluded to KYK, since she's known to curse a lot.

not called breadunnie for no reason

I feel for LDY and LJY, the latter especially.

• TW: Depression and Suicide

So, an apparent The Spike (a Korean volleyball magazine) article was pulled down minutes after publication for unknown reasons a few days ago. Some K-netizens were able to screenshot them and here's a translation; its an interview with Lee Jaeyong:

At this point I would prefer to choose no sides until further evidence is presented, but these are some pretty hard accusations. Especially since some people in Pink Spiders have seen what happened to Lee Dayeong as a result of her treatment in the club (hospitals may have record of her stay there if these are true). The media silence regarding this is also very suspicious given that it was pulled out so fast and the author was apparently no longer given access to post. Maybe KOVO did this as precaution since in a few months, club season is about to start (and may affect viewership given that at least half of the volleyball fans in Korea are KYK stans).

This is gonna be another 2020 - 2021 scandalous season once again. :sos:

• I recall that news regarding a Pink Spiders player who attempted to take their own life in the dorm... and the incident was alluded to be Lee Dayeong

Now this confirms it without any doubt

Of course within just 1-2 days of that report, the news of the school bullying accusations broke out and no one bothered about that report anymore😟

Or rather... they accused her of "putting on a show for attention" 😔

I recall Pink Spiders tried to cover and hide the name of the player and tried to dispel the news as abdominal pain instead too....😔

(more detail in tweet thread)

Whatever happened between the two, and who is right or wrong, for it to have reached that extent is never a simple matter, and I'm sure they would have hospital records to prove it.

I doubt it, but I wonder if any of her previous teammates on PS will dare speak up for them if ever needed.

• I'd rather not side with anyone really. Its just complicated news all around. But it is hard to stomach the fact that something like this happened to LDY.

Anyway, it seems this news have not yet reached mainstream news in Korea. Just weird.

EDIT: Just saw the Naver article. Hmmm. :what: