Asian Women’s Volleyball Updates, Events and Discussions

• Transfer news & rumors: :call:

Pretty-much confirmed: Legendary MB Pleumjit Thinkaow (Supreme Chonbori 🇹🇭) will be playing for Bo Tu Lenh Thong Tin (Vietnam) in the 2023 national championship.

Rumors: It appears this is an exchange program, so one of the Thong Tin girls may be playing for Supreme Chonbori next season. Hoang Thi Kieu Trinh (OP), Doan Thi Lam Oanh (Setter), and Pham Thi Nguyet Anh (OH) are current Thong Tinh players and have a high chance of being selected for the exchange program.

• VTV Binh Dien Long An just won the 2023 Vietnam Youth Championship!

Cred: VTV Binh Dien Long An FC FB

Why matters? Within the last 5 years, the once giant of Vietnamese volleyball has weathered many obstacles and lost their dominance in the Vietnam League. After legendary player Ngoc Hoa retired and several key players transferred out, COVID-19 and serious injuries stunted their most potential stars. They also let 4T - Vietnam’s best player, play in Thailand, Taiwan, and Japan, and refused to hire imports like all of their biggest competitions in the League. The results: they ranked mid-low in the last few years and struggled to place 3rd in the league last year, and lost several domestic tournaments they once were crowned champion. But, what they did right was trusting their youngsters. Several members of the current youth squad have been starting players of the main club for the past few seasons. They had a rough start, of course, but they learned fast both in terms of skills and mentality.

What does the future hold for Long An? This squad is the future of Vietnam volleyball. Several of these youngsters have already been eyed for the national team:

• 19 yo OP Tra My (highlight here — #1 player in blue/white jersey) is perhaps the most talked about player. Her approach and spiking form reminds me of North Korea’s Jong Jin-Sim.
    • 18 yo MB Nhu Anh
    • 17 yo MB Nhu Ngoc
    • 17 yo OH Lan Vy
    • 17 yo setter Bach Hop
    • 14 yo OH-BM Bao Ngoc
  • They all look so pretty in the photo and Tra My is very impressive...

I'll come back to this tomorrow ... its bedtime for me now 😴

:wavy:

BTW let me know if they're changes in tomorrow's SEAVLeague schedule, thanks

• It was rumored before that Jia Morado - De Guzman, main setter of the Philippine National Team will play in Japan and likely going to Denso Airybees. Today, a couple of players from Denso followed her on instagram. It's likely true then and just pending announcement from the club :super:

• It was rumored before that Jia Morado - De Guzman, main setter of the Philippine National Team will play in Japan and likely going to Denso Airybees. Today, a couple of players from Denso followed her on instagram. It's likely true then and just pending announcement from the club :super:

Would be good if confirmed. It would be great experience for her !

I’m making a list of Asian players playing outside their own country, and currently I think there are only 2 Asian players from outside of Japan playing in the J league, 4T for PFU and Jaja for JT (and I’m not sure if she can be included because she has Japanese nationality)

Do you know if there are anymore in J1, J2 or J3 ?

• I can’t get over how perfectly set up this photo is: Viet players showing their medals, while coach Danai in the back looking at them from above like a proud father :lol:

Cred: Ket Noi Bong Chuyen FB

• I believe this means Wilda of Indonesia is retiring from the National Team?

It seems to be a kind of her farewell to the National Team of Indonesia after joining for 13 years. Btw, tomorrow August 17th is Indonesia's 78th Independence Day Anniversary, so the timing of her outgoing post is really by deliberation.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Hmm ... we didn't make a separate thread for the PVL Invitational. It's my favorite tournament of the summer :heart:

I'm, like, triple posting this news because it's sad:

If you watched the PVL you probably remember Kurashiki Ablaze #15 Asaka Tamaru. She was the bomb. Word just dropped she is leaving Kurashiki :(

I wonder why she wasn't MVP of that tournament :/ Does PHI have a thing that only PHI players can be MVP?

• This is the second Invitational for PVL and the first for the Invited team to actually win, so its difficult to interpolate the results. But in reference usually the Reinforced Conferences ( teams have +1 Foreign Import) puts the foreign players as Final MVP with the local one being the MVP. To add, Tamaru did not play full minutes in some games and sometimes did not have receiving duties. I believe the league counts MVP by points. 40pts each for top ranked players per category (ie Setting, Serving, Total Points) and minus one every subsequent rank (40-n-1). So zero points for anyone outside the top 40. MVP Molina played full minutes and has key points in almost all categories sans Setting so it was more than likely that she led MVP Race by being present in more ranked categories tbh.

• This is the second Invitational for PVL and the first for the Invited team to actually win, so its difficult to interpolate the results. But in reference usually the Reinforced Conferences ( teams have +1 Foreign Import) puts the foreign players as Final MVP with the local one being the MVP. To add, Tamaru did not play full minutes in some games and sometimes did not have receiving duties. I believe the league counts MVP by points. 40pts each for top ranked players per category (ie Setting, Serving, Total Points) and minus one every subsequent rank (40-n-1). So zero points for anyone outside the top 40. MVP Molina played full minutes and has key points in almost all categories sans Setting so it was more than likely that she led MVP Race by being present in more ranked categories tbh.

Ha! Too hardcore data driven for me. I guess I also assumed MVP would come from the winning team

• I guess I also assumed MVP would come from the winning team

That is the case for tournaments with only one MVP. PVL have two. (1) Conference MVP which is for the whole tournament and very stats base considering all skills applicable (attacking%, blocks per set, reception%, digging per set, etc) not just points, and (2) Finals MVP which comes from the winning team, and the one who performed well in the Finals. They can be awarded to the same person if that person ruled the scoring and skills stats for the whole tournament and lead the team to Championship.

For the PVL Invitational this year, Ces Molina ruled the stats as a whole so even if she is not from the winning team she is the Conference MVP. Kurashiki’s setter is the Finals MVP (people expected to be going to Tamaru).

• For the PVL Invitational this year, Ces Molina ruled the stats as a whole so even if she is not from the winning team she is the Conference MVP. Kurashiki’s setter is the Finals MVP (people expected to be going to Tamaru).

I think I remember that now. Do you have a source for those awards. I like to add a news item to the tournaments that have this kind of configuration so the non-listed get some love too

• The Thai team for the Olympic Qualifier include a player who is already a legend...

setter Nootsara Tomkom :heart:

EMMA X Volleyball

There are 15 names in that Thai list, one name too many -- whose name will be dropped?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Former Saitama Ageo Medics Assistant Coach and Japan NT Team B at AVC Cup Assistant Coach Takayuki Minowa will be coaching the newest PVL team in the Philippines. He is the Japanese husband of Jaja Santiago. It's funny though that he (as a Japanese) will be in the PHI while Jaja is in Japan :rolll: On the plus side, he'll understand the Filipino culture more :lol:

NXLED Chameleons, the newest team is the sister team of Akari Power Chargers (brands Akari and NXLED are sister companies). Akari has been getting good recruits and transferred their other players at NXLED. They won't say it directly but looking at players, it's like Akari's team B :lol: