European Qualification for the Olympic Games 2008

• Spain is the greatest example of what TEAM Sports is about... individually the players are not world class, but as a team, they ARE WORLD CLASS, no question about it. They fight every game, and about the comment on Russians at the BEST MOMENT... Russia was at its BEST in Moscow, and still lost to Spain, because of its russian mentality and lack of team spirit, and all the high expectations..

Spain cant play super all the matches, because it simply lack the manpower, and the one it has is old...

• Russkii, Italy is SO FAR... to Italy from 90´s

In my opinion a team that have CISOLLA like CAPTAIN... :(

The team of Italy... are 8 better teams of Europe.

Consider that this isn't the real Italy, haven't a real opposite (Fei & Perazzolo KO), only one setter (Meoni KO at home and Travica there but KO), Cernic's knee KO during the 2nd set, this squad is far away from the real Italy

• please dont forget that this topic is about the European Qualification Tournament and not about the weaknesses of the russian nationalteam or how often a team been beaten, especially if this team is not even taking part in this tournament.
    Use other topics and stay ontopic here please

• individually the players are not world class, but as a team, they ARE WORLD CLASS

Not completely exact. Miguel Angel Falasca is a world class setter. Perhaps not as good as Ricardo or Grbic, but still one of the best in the world.
    And Jose Luis Molto is a very good middle blocker too (best blocker of the World Cup and European Championship).
    Spain could not play the way they are playing without some very good players in the team (especially a good setter). But it's true that their roster may appear less shiny than the Italian, the German or the French roster. Nevertheless they are a better team than all these nations with so good players.

The Finnish NT is more my idea of a team without really world class players (but many of them are young and may become world class players in the future).

• to my liking MA Falasca is just brilliant, Molto is good also, but for example Bontje or Kooistra today (both had 17 !!! points, highest in the team) are better attackers.. maybe in blocking Molto is supperior, still, the point is, Spanish stars are good players, but players that wont get insane contracts in Russia or Italy, some play even in second italian league... and their scoring ACE, G Falasca, chose to play in Korea now... even the finish players now, most of them got good contracts in Europe...

Spain may not qualify now to Olympics, but they showed that they can still play even without Anastasi

• As for the topic... well, well. Poland is missing their best spikers and the ones that are used to playing at a high level. It is only natural that those young stars are feeling the pressure. But today's match just proved a point I have been trying to make for quite some time. WHY WHY WHY is Swiderski in the starting six, even when Michal Winiarski is playing?? :mad:

If only Poland had Szymanski.... let alone Wlazly and Winiarski...

Young stars? Who? (:
    Świderski was the best scorer: 18 points (11 - attack and 7 - block)
    Unfortunately Gruszka didn't play good as a spiker :S and wee need some new players on this position, because I don't think that Szymański will back to NT. And Wlazły... he is always big '?'

• Young stars? Who? (:
    Unfortunately Gruszka didn't play good as a spiker :S and wee need some new players on this position, because I don't think that Szymański will back to NT. And Wlazły... he is always big '?'

I thought Kurek was young...... is he not?

As for Swiderski, he was a true disappointment in the TIE BREAK. At the end he had two chances but could not score. Then on the next play he was blocked. :wacko:

He was the one who should have led Poland. He has always been in the starting six and he should be more used to decisive matches......

• You wrote 'those young stars' so thats why I asked (;

As for Swiderski, he was a true disappointment in the TIE BREAK. At the end he had two chances but could not score. Then on the next play he was blocked. :wacko:

I don't know if I good remember, but before it Zagumny sets twice to Gruszka and he didn't scored point and next he sets to Swidersk on "3 block".
    In my opinion Gruszka the most disappoint in this match.

• Young stars? Who? (:

Why thinking that Szymanski won't be back to NT? Injury too serious or age? He's a good opposite.

Too many bad news from Polish NT this year :( :(

• Speaking of the match today the two Dutch MBs played like the fearful Russian towers. They could make full use of their height advantage in their spikes.

Gortzen's performance was not bad. Once a world-class top spiker at his peak, he managed to maintain a high level considering his age.

• Spain is the greatest example of what TEAM Sports is about... individually the players are not world class, but as a team, they ARE WORLD CLASS, no question about it. They fight every game, and about the comment on Russians at the BEST MOMENT... Russia was at its BEST in Moscow, and still lost to Spain, because of its russian mentality and lack of team spirit, and all the high expectations..

Spain cant play super all the matches, because it simply lack the manpower, and the one it has is old...

The funny thing is: Spain isn't my favorite either, but as quoted above even 'Brazilian Guy' should show a lot of respect for this team. Cause being a team is what made the Brazilians, the women and afterwards the men, so good! (so that is why Brasil is my favourite team)

Não importa o tamanho de seu talento se você é incapaz de fazer parte de um grupo, de uma comunidade, e se dá mais importância ao "eu" do que ao "nós".
    But anyway, like Nastja said, that's not the topic. Let's just see who will qualify for the Olympics. It's getting really exciting their in Iszmir!

:drink:

• Speaking of the match today the two Dutch MBs played like the fearful Russian towers. They could make full use of their height advantage in their spikes.

Gortzen's performance was not bad. Once a world-class top spiker at his peak, he managed to maintain a high level considering his age.

MBs were super, they were the FIRST option in attack.. thats Hollands strength, but sometimes it becomes a weakness, as the other attackers cant score...

but yesterday old fox Guido, did his job very nicely

• I did not see this game, but when middle blockers can attack a lot, that's because the team is receiving very good (otherwise the setter can't play with his MB). Was it because Polish serves were bad, or was the Dutch reception especially efficient yesterday ?

• I did not see this game, but when middle blockers can attack a lot, that's because the team is receiving very good (otherwise the setter can't play with his MB). Was it because Polish serves were bad, or was the Dutch reception especially efficient yesterday ?

the reception was good, the serves not very good (0 aces), BUT this Dutch team, not the first game i see of them, when the MB is the first choice in attack, because the wings are not too relieable.. especially when they started with v.Dijk and Horstink (who had very bad game, 1 set actually). They even had some bad receptions, but still went with MB in attack..

• Yesterday, I wasn't in the best mood :( Now, I'll try to write something.

POL-HOL cost me many nerves. I have nothing against if something like thet ends with happy end. It didn't. I suppose the game could have been really interesting for neutral fans and the tie-break was just incredible. I can't believe we didn't win it. 12-9... :mad: We were also leading in tie-break against Spain and result was the same. Somebody wrote before that Russia is the weakest mentally. If you asked me, I would say that Poland is the weakest in this aspect :down: Not the first time they lose the game, which they shouldn't have lost.

Yesterday we had very good block, quite good serves. Świderski, Pliński, Murek and Możdżonek showed some good volleyball. But one of the main reasons of this defeat is, that we didn't have a real killer in our team. Zagumny wasn't sure where is the best player to pass him. Gruszka was dissapointing. He is not an opossite and didn't finish the most important balls.

Polish and Italian examples show, that it is very difficult to succeed, if you don't have your best players in the team. Today we have to count on Spain. I hope they will win. However, they don't have to, when Holland do and that's the biggest problem :huh: In my opinion Spain is capable of winning the whole tournament and Holland... If they qualifay, they will lose in semis. No matter, against Germany or Serbia. But maybe Finland is going to make a surprise?

By the way: Turkish TV realisation of this tournament is just awful :down:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• is there any chance of turkey still???

I don't think so...

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

Actually there is still chance but if Germany beat Finland and Turkey beat Serbia 3-0 or maybe 3-1.And actually what a games would happen in the semis. Spain-Turkey and Germany-Netherlands. I'm surprised with Germans. I didn't knew they are so good. There is one chance still for France to qualify if you don't know. If Germany win this tournament they won't organize Intercontinental Round and FIVB will appoint France. And the final will be Spain-Holland/Germany. And I think Spain will pass Holland today, but not with 3-0 or 3-1 result otherwise they will play with the best team (Germany/Serbia) from Pool B.