World Cup 2007

• I hope the Brazilian girls could do well in this World Cup, our toughest opponents will be Italy, Cuba, the US, Poland and Serbia. I guess Brazil can win... if the team shows it has improved psychologically.

• the first results are coming in with no surprises

Korea vs Serbia 0:3 (21:25, 23:25, 15:25)
    Cuba vs Kenya 3:0 (25:11, 25:18, 25:20)
    Italy vs Thailand 3:0 (25:14, 25:14, 25:16)
    Peru vs USA 0:3 (23:25, 14:25, 19:25)

waiting now for Brazil vs Poland. But to be honest i cant imagine Poland to (though i really hope...)
    So i think there wont be any surprises in the other 2 games as well :roll:

• Where are you planning to watch the match - it has already started. Good luck for Poland. :)

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Quote from "AFROMAN"

Where are you planning to watch the match - it has already started. Good luck for Poland. :)

I cant watch it.... so im checking the live score and it looks so scary for poland...
    12:25 and second set wont be all to different i guess :roll:

wow a little bit closer as i thought...
    20:25.
    If somebody watches the game can he/she tell me please if its brazil playing so well or poland just so shitty?

Japan is leading 2:0 btw...
    25:23, 25:18

• Quote from "Nastja"

I cant watch it.... so im checking the live score and it looks so scary for poland...
    12:25 and second set wont be all to different i guess :roll:

Second gone too... 25-20
    Anyway, I'm glad that USA and Italy won today :D:D:D

*btw, I don't have the channel that airs the game, but probably someone from Brazil that has Sportv is watching the game right now...

• damn, poland must at least score 21 points or else ill loose 50 cents :twisted:

EDIT: woohooo i won 1€ and 50cents eheh
    but damn poland, playing shitty from what i can guess... but at least the match was closer at the end not as the embaressing first set :wink2:

• Quote from "Nastja"

damn, poland must at least score 21 points or else ill loose 50 cents :twisted:

They scored more...
    Poor game by Poland. I know, Brasil is a good team but it is really very difficult to win if you don't have faith and... reception. Only the third set looked little better.
    Of course, there is many more gamest to play, but I suppose today's defeat isn't good for Poland from psychological point of view. Peru is much worse, so I hope Poland will win tomorrow, bur they have to play much better.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Maybe Brazil is too strong, as far as I see it was a rather good match for Glinka, but not for Poland.

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Quote from "AFROMAN"

Maybe Brazil is too strong, as far as I see it was a rather good match for Glinka, but not for Poland.

It's always a good match for Glinka but a crappy one for poland. Am i the only one who thinks that poland plays better without Glinka? :?

anyway as konrad said, this defeat might be bad from the psychological side so a win over peru is a must or else this team will fall down very badly...

• I watched the match, in the first set Brazil served very well and its reception worked prefectly.

In the second set Brazil was leading 14-6 and then Bonitta made some changes in the team, he replaced Sliwa by the other setter and Anna Podolek replaced Milena Rosner, then the Polish team started to cause some trouble to Brazil,

Brazil started to have some problems in reception and the team only played with high-balls, besides, Brazil's team serves were being well received and Poland was able to play with more variations. As a consequence, the Polish Team started to come closer and Brazil's team started to feel pressed. Anyway, whenever Poland was two points away from Brazil, they missed their serves and Brazil's Team could play more relieved with a 3-point difference. In the end of the second set, Brazil's serves started to cause trouble to Poland again and then Brazil had a comfortable difference of 5 points.

The third set was pretty much like the second one.

• I personally think that Poland still has chances in this tournament, it's just one match and it was against the favourite. But there also another strong teams. I expect Serbia and Italy to cause problems to the polish team.

• Quote from "Nayus"

well Peru is weaker than Brasil but please do not underestimate the team :o some times mi "paisanas" can be a very dificult rival even for tallest teams

I've already seen Peru playing (live) and honestly, I guess people underestimate them... They did good matches against Brazil and Cuba, and also beat Dominican Republic in a very decisive match, it was thrilling.
    I don't think that they'll win, but I agree that they can cause a lot of trouble to some teams.
    As I said before, I think that the 3 spots for OG will be decided among Brazil, USA, Cuba and Italy... if there are no surprises :wink2:

And also, could someone tell me if Aguero is going to play against Cuba? :roll:

• :( so...congratulations for Brazil. Today BRA was a better team than Poland..

but...I'm still optimistic :P . Today match was very difficult, Brazil played very well and Polish team had a problem with receiving. Today Kasia Skowrońska didn't have a good day and, in my opinion, this is a reason of this lost as well.

• Statements from Italian Players
    Captain Eleonora Lo Bianco: This was the first game of the tournament so we were a bit nervous, but our focus was to organize our own volleyball and play our own game. Like other Asian teams, Thailand has different characteristics from our usual opponents because they are quite fast, and sometimes we have difficulties against this style. We did quite well in terms of defence and serve reception and that led to victory.

Taismary Aguero: Like all the other teams with the first match we had a hungry spirit to get a qualification place for the Beijing Olympics. Thailand has quick movement, so we practiced to overcome that. We were mentally prepared, so we were able to play a good game for our first match. It is a great honour for players to play for their nation, and I felt this with Cuba. I am always happy to play for the national team, and now I have a different goal and that is to win the World Cup.

Statements from Serbian Players
    Captain Vesna Citakovic: This was the first match of the tournament so both teams played very tough. After the first set we started to play better and better and we beat them, but the Korea team played very good, especially in defence and reception. It is important this match finished the best way for us.

Jelena Nikolic: It was the first match and we did not play so good from the start. I knew the Korea team would be very aggressive and we needed to be more aggressive and patient than them. We won this game because we were more concentrated at the critical moments. We did not play so good today, but it was enough to win.

Statements from American Players:
    Lindsey Berg: It was our first game and we struggled, which sometimes is normal. We have to get the excitement into our game and we need to play better and better as the tournament goes on. I am looking forward to getting better in each match.

Logan Tom: We were very energetic and the first game is usually difficult, but we played well today. I'm happy to return to the national team after three years and to play well.
    (Re. beach volleyball experience) Last season was my first full season in beach volleyball and I enjoyed it and learning new techniques. I learned many things, such as ball control and patience. I'm getting back into the indoor game. Things happen faster indoors and now my focus is on the indoor game and, hopefully, qualifying for the Olympics.

Statements from the Cuban Players:
    Yumilka Ruiz: Kenya did a good job but we also played well and are satisfied with what we did.
    The first match is always tough. We focussed on resting our bodies physically.
    Even though we had unfortunate problems getting here, we are trying our best and trying not to let it affect our game.

Statements from Brazilian Players:
    Brazil Coach Ze Roberto: It wasn't an ideal game against Poland and we knew they were better than the way they played in the first set. It was a close game, as expected. Poland have made great progress in recent years and they have a strong attack. We hit good serves to break them and we defended well. Our second and third games should be better.
    (Re. inclusion of Jaqueline Carvalho) -- She's been practicing with the team all the time and she is a very important player who is good in passing and defense. She's very important for us in every fundamental way.

Brazil Captain Fofao: It was most important for us to win the first match. We played well with good defense and serves. Our defense helped us neutralize the Polish attack.

Statements from the Polish Players
    Poland Captain Milena Rosner: I want to congratulate the Brazil team. I think we lost the game because we were particularly bad in receiving, and we were bad within ourselves. We weren't as good as they were and they play a fast game. Also, their blocking was good today and they made less errors, so that's why it was 3-0.

Poland Coach Marco Bonitta: Brazil were strong from the start and we could see they were better than us. We were not at our best, so we will try to change our mood in our second match.
    (Re. condition of Glinka-Mogentale) -- She is important for Poland. She was not in good condition after the European Championship, but during this tournament we hope her condition will get better and better.

• I think there were no surprises this first round....I mean....

Italy, Serbia and Cuba had the easiest matches and won with no problems....and should!!!!! :shock:

USA did a great game too...is good to see Logan back!!!!!And strange to see Sykora out!!!! :? .....but Davis is also a good libero....and she was playing the last touranments for USA...and I don't know how is Sykora's condition right now! Only miss Metcalf....why she is out the team????Anyone knows?....I had heard that already....but I still can't understand why......

Poland can play much better than what the girls did today!!!And I'm sure they will!!!!I expect maily over Cuba!!!!hehehehe.....but they were bad at reception....and on the other hand Brazil made a wonderful game!!!!!There was time since I saw this team playing like this!!!!I guess Jaque does make a lot of difference!!!!!And of course Fofão and Wal!!!!
    I liked to see Rosner as capitan!!!!! :)
    And Glinka did a good game...but I still think she can play better....
    Brasil played really well in all fundaments!!!!And I hope they continium like this!!!!! :wink2:

On Italy no surprise....but I hope to see Picci on the starting six!!!!Nothing against Secolo, but I just prefer Picci!!!!!

A little deception over Dominican Republic game!!!!!A lot actually!!!!!What they are doing there???
    Hope they can show a little bit of the game they showed two years ago....

• Too bad for Poland that Brazil was their first team to play against.

Brazil is clearly a heavy favorite for win this Cup, to get again respect, specially after a very dissapointed results at the Pan Games07 and WGP07.

And as for Poland next game against Peru, I expect Poland to win the game. Peru is in this tournament playing with a 17 year old setter :shock:

This is what peruvian captain had to say today in the press conference about setter:

"Our regular setters are out, so instead we have a 17-year-old, who had an important role in this game. But she is very young to assume such a role, so it was difficult to play as well as we wanted to"

• Quote from "Celso"

The third set was pretty much like the first one.

What do you mean? I watched the game too, and the first set was a diseaster for Poland, when in the third - game was rather close...
    As many people before said, there weren't any surpises in the first day. Favourites won. But I"m sure that there will be some surprises later. I hope not in the Peru-Poland game :)

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D