Russia - Superliga 2011/2012

• There is being competitive and tense, and then just being awful! This is not the first game in the Russian league, especially between these two teams, where the Refs allow such bad unsportsmanlike behaviour throughout the whole match where players shout at each other DIRECTLY across the net. I was even surprised that Larson was also involved in this - I wonder what Hugh Mclutcheon would make of it!
    This kind of match is an embarrassment to volleyball and a bad advert for the sport. Even the Cuba/Brazil rivalries were not characterised by an entire match of shouting across the net. Ramirez in Brazilian superliga has actually had to miss a match for such kind of behaviour, and everywhere else this would never be allowed to carry on. I don't get why Russian league thinks this is acceptable. Personally, this is one of the reasons why I don't like Gamova, (she likes to do this a lot)and in my opinion, prevents her from being of the calibre of past world class champions. Hopefully playing with a real champion in Sokolova will allow her to have better attitude. There wasn't even enough high quality volleyball to justify that kind of behaviour, they were shouting over any points, even opponent errors!

• Can somebody give some info about Marina Maryuhnich, I never watch her but her stats seems really imressive and consistent :whistle:

• Well, when I watched the start of set 2 when Goncharova started to play very powerfull, I thinked "Kazan are finished". Ombochaeva rullz!

Радо Стойчев каза: Мизия, Тракия, Македония! Западните покрайнини - завинаги български!

• Can somebody give some info about Marina Maryuhnich, I never watch her but her stats seems really imressive and consistent :whistle:

She's born Ukrainian and played as OH in Ukraine NT in 2003, maybe also in other years but 2003 ECH was the only time I watched her there. I'm not sure if she already was MB when she came to Uralochka or if Karpol made her play that position. She is very tall (around 1.96 I think) but also rather slow, she often has to attack against double or even triple block in the middle because the sets to her are slower than to other MBs. But overall she is a good player I think...

• I don't remember her as OH, but as OPP. Karpol put her on MB 2 years ago, first season she was OPP in Uralochka.

In 2003 Ukraine was playing with Tsokur (now Makarova) as receiving Opp, Fomina as libero and the MBs received too, the OHs went out for libero in backrow. OHs were Tetyana Voronina and Olena Yena, Maryukhnich (back then her name was Manyuk) was substitute but she entered quite often for Yena.

• Saw the match between kazan and Moscow. Goncharova was just unstoppable! Read from the earlier posts from this thread about this feud between Gamova and Goncharova on court. Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed with this behavior from them. Ok, the games are highly competitive but I wish that they don’t have to be hostile to each other. It could affect their teamplay when they play in NT. But that’s just my opinion. On the other hand, Grün was ineffective with her attacks but I think she make up for it with defense. I admire her presence and leadership on court. She seems good at motivating her team mates and she never forget to compliment the player who scored or who helped her make the score. :thumbsup:

• I finally got to watch the full match too now...until the middle of 2nd set I thought what is everyone talking about?? But then all of a sudden Goncharova started shouting towards Kazan players after every point she scored, I didn't see anything happen but there must have been a reason for her to do it all of a sudden. Actually I admired how Kazan players managed not to be provoked by her behavior for a long time but then Gamova and Larson started doing the same. I can't understand that the referee never even warned any player during the whole match :what: I have to say I like matches with some fire, but in this match it was just stupid...

• I finally got to watch the full match too now...until the middle of 2nd set I thought what is everyone talking about?? But then all of a sudden Goncharova started shouting towards Kazan players after every point she scored, I didn't see anything happen but there must have been a reason for her to do it all of a sudden. Actually I admired how Kazan players managed not to be provoked by her behavior for a long time but then Gamova and Larson started doing the same. I can't understand that the referee never even warned any player during the whole match :what: I have to say I like matches with some fire, but in this match it was just stupid...

I agree. Was a bit shocked with Larson's participation in this petty game of provoking. Especially that she's playing on foreign soil on a foreign league. But she's doing a great job for Kazan.

• In 2003 Ukraine was playing with Tsokur (now Makarova) as receiving Opp, Fomina as libero and the MBs received too, the OHs went out for libero in backrow. OHs were Tetyana Voronina and Olena Yena, Maryukhnich (back then her name was Manyuk) was substitute but she entered quite often for Yena.

I didn't say that you are wrong, just that i don't remember her as OH.

• There is being competitive and tense, and then just being awful! This is not the first game in the Russian league, especially between these two teams, where the Refs allow such bad unsportsmanlike behaviour throughout the whole match where players shout at each other DIRECTLY across the net. I was even surprised that Larson was also involved in this - I wonder what Hugh Mclutcheon would make of it!

I think seeing this side of Larson is largely fueled by the environment. It's out of character for her to engage in this.

I haven't seen her behaving this way with the USA national team and I think I won't see it in a USA jersey. The USA coaches will not stand for it. And veteran USA players will not tolerate it.