Olympic Games 2008 - Qualification Phase

• Beijing 2008 Olympic Qualification procedure
    There are a total of twelve (12) vacancies for the women’s Olympic volleyball tournament.

The host nation - 1 vacancy
      China is directly granted one (1) vacancy.

2007 Continental Championships/2007 World Cups - 3 vacancies
      The top three (3) teams from the 2007 World Cup will qualify to the Olympic Games. Only teams which participate in the 2007 Continental Championships will be able to qualify for the 2007 World Cup.

Continental Olympic Qualification tournaments - 5 vacancies
      After the World Cup, each of the five (5) confederations will organise one (1) continental Olympic Qualification tournament.
      Only nations not previously qualified for the Olympic Games may enter the Continental Olympic Qualification tournaments.
      The winner of each tournament will qualify for Olympic Games.

World Olympic Qualification tournaments - 3 vacancies
      The FIVB will organise one World Olympic Qualification tournament in which three (3) vacancies will be decided, plus any continental vacancies (non-disputed continental vacancies) which remain undecided as a result of one or more continents not hosting a Continental Olympic Qualification tournament.

Qualification Timeline
    1. - 30. September 2007 Continental Championships
    1. – 15. November 2007 World Cup (JPN)
    1. December 2007 – 15. January 2008 Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments
    Week ending 12 May 2008 World Olympic Qualifying Tournament (JPN)

• Quote from "Humbert"

Qualification Timeline
    1. - 30. September 2007 Continental Championships
    1. – 15. November 2007 World Cup (JPN)
    1. December 2007 – 15. January 2008 Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments
    Week ending 12 May 2008 World Olympic Qualifying Tournament (JPN)

Germany emerged as the organiser of the Women’s European Qualification Tournament for the Olympic Games 2008, which will be held from 14-20 January 2008 in Halle.

• Quote from "Justyna"

Germany emerged as the organiser of the Women’s European Qualification Tournament for the Olympic Games 2008, which will be held from 14-20 January 2008 in Halle.

niceeeeee, yo Humbert! u coming with me i hope :lol: well, if you'll still like me after our honeymoon :twisted:

• Hey, guys! Can anybody tell me the schedule date for volleyball in Olympics? Thanks!:)

• Quote from "alc01"

Hey, guys! Can anybody tell me the schedule date for volleyball in Olympics? Thanks!:)

hmm, all i can tell that the matches will be held from August 9-24, 2008...

• Quote from "Nastja"

hmm, all i can tell that the matches will be held from August 9-24, 2008...

The last day will be on my birthday... I hope this time Russian girls don't let me down on my BF...

• Quote from "Russkii"

The last day will be on my birthday... I hope this time Russian girls don't let me down on my BF...

On your boyfriend?! :lol:

LOL... you meant birthday (BD) right?!

• my tips who will qualify to OG :
    - China
    - Italy
    - Brazil
    - USA
    - Cuba (Norceca)
    - Kenya (Africa)
    - Russia (Europe)
    - Deminican Rep. / Peru / Argentina (South America)
    - Japan (Asia)
    - Serbia
    - Poland
    - Korea

Netherlands is a big question mark but they have to win hardest European :?: tournament.

• I think I will place the European one on Germany..is not that Russia is not strong, but everytime the European qualifications being held in Germany, Germany has qualified to the olympics

• Dominican Rep will play the Norceca qualification tournament.....

• Quote from "Brian"

This is assuming if dominican cannot qualify through the NORCECA

in that case why is not happening the other way around?....... If Russia or Poland -for instance- can not qualilfy through Europe tournament, can they go to play in Norceca?... do you know what I mean?

The thing is: Dominican Rep. is the only country in the world that has been awarded 2 World Cup wild cards in a row (2003 and 2007), got the southamerican olympic spot in 2004 after being eliminated a month earlier in the norceca tournament, and on top of that, dominican players not being punished for dopping problems.........

I think these are too many considerations from FIVB for a country that has not done any international accomplishment, nothing, ZERO.

• I thought they actually got punished...one of their players was not allow to play for a few years, forgot who was it.
    I am not helping the dominican here or what, but just saying that situation may happen, althought I don't think is right either...since I don't get why they can get another chance anyway

• If Russia get the European Qualification, for example, witch european teams would be able to participate of the World qualificatons???

Ho whtey choose that...for the world ranking...or from what place each country stays in the European qualification.....

and how many countries can play the world qualification???

• Quote from "joanamss"

If Russia get the European Qualification, for example, witch european teams would be able to participate of the World qualificatons???

Ho whtey choose that...for the world ranking...or from what place each country stays in the European qualification.....

and how many countries can play the world qualification???

Yes, world ranking, so if Russia get qual. in European Qualification in Intercontinental Qualification will be play Serbia and Poland.
    In International Qualification play 8 teams.

• Quote from "Brian"

I thought they actually got punished...one of their players was not allow to play for a few years, forgot who was it.
    I am not helping the dominican here or what, but just saying that situation may happen, althought I don't think is right either...since I don't get why they can get another chance anyway

Well, there were 2 cases of dopping for dominican rep. players:

"......was not surprising that recently Professor Hanspeter Graf, President of the Ethics Commission of the FMVB denounced before the international public opinion the internal violations of Dominican Volleyball, and who expressed that under the influence of Mr. Cristóbal Marte, Second Vice-President of the FIVB, President of the NORCECA Confederation, and Vice-President of the Dominican Volleyball Federation, between the years 2001 and 2006 had established a complex web of corruption in order to adulterate the age of nearly thirty adult athletes, who participated with an obvious advantage in the World Youth Championships and Continental Youth Championships. :shock: :shock:
    He also explained that the Dominican teams have the regrettable tribute of displaying the only two cases of positive doping in the World Women’s Championships, highlighting the last of these; the case of Evelyn Carrera, who continues to remain unpunished after the team doctor was sanctioned, while this athlete, who maintains a sentimental relationship with Mr. Marte, continues to participate in the Professional League of Puerto Rico
    . :?

see more: http://wvbf.org/presse19.htm

• Quote from "joanamss"

If Russia get the European Qualification, for example, witch european teams would be able to participate of the World qualificatons???

It's decided according to the world rankings.

#5 Russia
    #7 Serbia
    #9 Poland
    #10 Netherlands
    #15 Germany
    etc.

Europe gets two spots at the World qualifications, so:
    if Russia wins, Serbia and Poland go to the third qualifying tournament, if Serbia wins it's Russia and Poland, you get the point.

Russia and Serbia will definitely have a chance to play at the last qualifying tournament if they fail in Halle. On the other hand, Netherlands and Germany have to win the European qualifications in order to play at the Olympics because they wouldn't be able to play at the World qualifications.
    If Poland doesn't win, they have a chance to play at the World qualifications IF Serbia or Russia win the European tournament.

• Quote from "Justyna"

In International Qualification play 8 teams.

2 European teams, Japan, 3 Asian teams, 1 American team, 1 African team.

In 2004 the teams were:

Asia = Japan, South Korea, Chinese Taipei, Thailand
    Europe = Russia, Italy
    America = Puerto Rico
    Africa = Nigeria