2013 European Championship - Germany and Switzerland

• Radecka should be added to the worst team's setter list :lol:

Totally agree :lol:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

She is not worse than Signorile and Stoltenberg :teach: I was more doubtful about adding Kaszprak or Sieczka as worst OHs but finally i chose Rozycka and Cate Bosetti :S

• She is not worse than Signorile and Stoltenberg :teach: I was more doubtful about adding Kaszprak or Sieczka as worst OHs but finally i chose Rozycka and Cate Bosetti :S

I think Sieczka played ok, but definitely agree about Rozycka. She's just horrible. No NT on earth would need that kind of a player.

I'd probably add Vincourova among Femke and Noemi. Overall she wasnt that bad however she relyed on Havlickova way too much and it was actually one of the reasons why C.R lost to France.

Lets make a funny list.

Best setter - Radecka
    Best server - Rasic
    Best blocker - Busra Cansu
    Beat attacker - Tumas
    Best receivet - Seda Tokatlioglu ot Rozyckä
    Best libero - Knip
    Best cöach - The croatian coach :lol:

• About setter, blocker and libero I agree, about others basing more on stats :D :
    Best server - Darnel
    Best receiver - Knip
    Best spiker - Tumas :lol:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I used to think that they consider all results of the teams and make the ranking according to that, but in this case Italy should be ahead of Croatia. Italy got 6 points from preliminary, 3 from playoffs, so 9 points and 10:7 sets. Croatia also got 6 points from preliminary but only 2 from playoffs and 10:8 sets. No idea why Croatia is 5th and Italy 6th, but all other ranks make sense according to this system...

They count pool result for 13th to 16th places.
    They count pool result + play off for 9th to 12th place.
    They count pool result + quarter finals for 5th to 8th place (Croatia is 6 points as Italy but better set ratio, Turkey 5 points, France 3 points) (It's obvious to not consider play off match in this case otherways 1st in the pool would have 1 match less).

It should be some errors in my english, but now I don't want to think too much.

• Looking at the Top 4 teams shows how important stable conditions are for being successful. Serbia and Germany have had the same coach and basically the same roster with minor changes for many years, and even though there have been times when things did not go too great, the coaches always kept their jobs and success proves them right.

At the same time, these "stable conditions" is actually a curse of international volleyball as a game. A team of average players that get a chance to practice together can beat a team of talents that simply have no time for such a joint practice.

Russia is the only team where the coach change has had very good effects. Marichev has done good work overall, he managed to make the team play the way he wants and I have the impression that the team as a whole works very well.

Marichev is good indeed, although he had made mistakes this summer. The Serbia game is going to be his/their real test as they will face an equal team for the third time this year. So far, they have lost both matches, although they were arguably close to beating Brazil.

About Turkey...of all teams, they were the most hurt by missing players. I don't want to talk about the reasons why several players weren't there because there are too many rumors, let's just take it as fact that Esra, Neriman, Eda and Gülden weren't there. As a consequence, Gözde was the only real OH of the team. Seda as a player who is more suited for OPP did a fairly good job overall, but Güldeniz as backup was a nightmare. With Esra and Neriman as alternatives, Turkey could have done MUCH better in this tournament. Their MBs were strongly criticised but I agree only in part. I think Bahar did a decent job overall, Büsra had some good scenes too but overall is not a player good enough for a Top 4 team. A healthy Eda might have helped...but overall, I think also here it is not fair blaming Barbolini for the way the team performed (ignoring everything that might have been going on in background), with this roster they wouldn't have played better with another coach either...

I disagree on Turkey and apologize to the Turkish fans as I sense that volleyball became seriously popular in that country. My vision is that Turkish NT had never belonged to the semifinals of any official international tournament. They have been there twice, both by a virtue of circumstances. Notably, two years ago they beat a very motley Russia that featured a receiving MB (Morozova), two questionable liberos (Kabeshova and Kuzyakina), an OH without a spike (Makhno) and pretty innocuous "Mrs No-Nose" Perepelkina and "Mrs Boobs" Borodakova. Although the Turkish team had a great success in serving on that day, for the reasons above, the real decider of that game was Goncharova, who failed her scoring mission. That is, had she scored at least 35% of the balls given to her on that day, the historical victory of the Turkish NT may have not happened.

What we had in the 2013 game was an overall more balanced Russian team, with a better reception/defense and far better mobile block. Russia was equally inefficient through the middle as two years ago, thanks to Pankova, but in 2013 Turkey could not organize a decent middle attack too, thanks to Russian block/defense. As an overall result, the game became a competition in hitting against an organized block from 2nd and 4th zones, a discipline at which the Turkish team can't match their more athletic opponent. Russia has always had better (taller) blockers and stronger hitters. Kosheleva and Goncharova scored plenty of points by hitting over the block into the back of the court. For Turkey, the left-handed opposite has always been an asset but she is less efficient from the back court. The OHs... one can rotate and replace them endlessly but the result would be the same - they all, including Neriman, struggle against an organized block. E.g. a short non-jumper Gozde (#10) should score around 25% against the organized block, which she actually did. I think the only Turkish chance was to rely more on the tempo but I don't know how to speed things up without a reliable side-out from the middle.

Regarding the coach (Barbolini vs Motta), I think they both did the job well. Barbolini was solid and was saying things that were technically correct in the time-outs. On the other hand, I don't know how much his team understands him. Sometimes, a native-speaker can address the players in a better way during a short break by using e.g. some hardcore obscene expressions instead of needless technical particulars. I think that Turkish Federation may have some hard time thinking out some unpopular decisions regarding the numbers of foreigners playing the local league. It looks like Turkish NT has only one player who plays a critical role in her club, which is a bit too little.

• oh turkey even at their supposed "best" (with neriman or erdem) they are not probably higher than 4th or 5th and it proved against an improved russia

• powsoff
    left-handed opp=Neslihan and Gözde is short but a good jumper.. ;)

on circumstances....this is valid for every team.every team has different periods in which they sometimes are better or worse.

on Russia...Russia's only asset is Koseleva.Goncharova is a more controllable(?) player who was blocked 7 times ,she's not a Gamova.Russia's power is that they have a good block which they have always had so far.Russia's reception looked good againt Turkey but i dont think we served good enough against russia.we'll see their reception against Serbia or a good serving team like Germany.if they manage to receive well then we can say Russia does better at reception.Russian defense looked good.If Russia manages to receive and defend well they have good wing spikers who are tall and strong.however, im not sure Goncharova and Pashink are satisfying enough against good teams and we'll see if Koseleva is a leading player or not againbs Serbia.

on Turkey, this year we have been really bad...against every good team.(only DR).i think we can be better than this. then we will struglle better against Russia ;)

• Well I agree that in ECH 2011 they were not 'real Russia team', but I don't agree about the comments for this year.. Although Russian team is somehow renewed only new faces I can say are really new is Malova, who's doing great and MB Nastya S. (very hard last name, don't know if I'm right) The others are pretty much known to the audience.. Pasynkova was even at Baijing Olympics.. Of course there is Malykh, but I'm talking about starting players..
    On the other hand Tyrkey is missing 3 if not 4 very important players, Eda, Gulden, Neriman and Esra.. (please don't say Russia misses Sokolova, Gamova, Estes.. because only Gamova could be useful.. others time in NT has passed) Turkey also has a new coach as well as Russia, but seems like Turkey doesn't make that improvement as they should.. I am not saying Russia was or is not the better team right now.. I just don't agree that full roster Turkey wouldn't be able to beat them.. Russia has been a powerhouse for a long time now, so we are used to speaking about them like a world's top team.. but I can't see that in recent years.. this year I like their game a lot.. I mean new style and I like it, let's see how much longer they can be successful with it. But I don't see them beating Brazil, USA even Serbia, but well see in some hours

• oh yeah full force russia might not beat full force usa but they can beat full force turkey :wavy:

• At the same time, these "stable conditions" is actually a curse of international volleyball as a game. A team of average players that get a chance to practice together can beat a team of talents that simply have no time for such a joint practice.

well, just stumbled upon this.
    For me, this the essence of any team sport. Practicing hard, giving it all as a team and fighting down this bunch of supertalented, high nosed §$%% :P :D . That really feels great (if you are on the right side) and happens too rarely in volleyball, for my taste.

• i mean even with those missing key plyers turkey wont be able to bet russia today..... oh they can if they play on their homecourt with turkish referees helping their cause 8o

• are you returning to the a, b teams´ issue? :lol: what this ´´complete´´ US team has won so far?? last time they played against complete russia, if im not mistaken, was in 2010 WCH, and we all know who won, and if turkey was not complete now, russia wasnt back in ECH 2011 (withou sokolova, kosheleva), and in this year playing with just one setter... IMO, oszoy is the only player that could have changed the result now..

russia needs to find the 2nd OH (pasynkova did not convince me yet in NT, and chaplina is too unstable in attacking.