World Cup 2011

• Meanwhile, I am sure Dominican Republic, Cuba and even Puerto Rico must be cheering for the USA to finish in the Top 3. :lol:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Meanwhile, I am sure Dominican Republic, Cuba and even Puerto Rico must be cheering for the USA to finish in the Top 3. :lol:

its interesting, additionally, Korea and Thailand will be cheering for China and Japan to obtain their tickets to London...
    although it hardly happens from my point of view...China has better chance i think this time...

for today, korea didnt give too much resistance against Japan and China...Serbia didnt show their best when facing Germany and Italy either....DR defeated Germany to help USA and tonite they didnt pay 100% on the game against USA....

lets think about the question like this....

as we all know, WC is not an independent tournament but corresponding to the OG tickets, as well as the continental road to london....therefore, it might be possible for some teams from the same continent to make their decision when they carefully analyse the WC situation ...which will definately be subject to their own tickets...

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Iwas thinking about numbers....and well Brazil still have one impossible chance...hehe

If China looses their three games (USA, KEN and GER) they stay with 19 points, then if Germany loses to ITA and JPN (winning CHN) reaches 21 points, and JPN lossing to KEN and USA (winning GER) reaches 19 points.....that is the only possible meet of results that can make Brazil reach Germany also with 21 points, but of course it is impossible for CHN and JPN both loose to KEN...so...it was jsut a curiosity fact..hehehehehe

The result was actually really good for CHN and GER cause now they only depend on themselves, and their own result.

If EUA wins CHN next match for 3x0 ou 3x1, they quali ITA (considering ITA will win KEN in last match and reach 26 points), cause even if JPN win 3 matches they dont reach 26 points, and lossing 3 points, China would only be able to win 6 points top, and would only top reach 25 points.

So maybe ITA will play against GER already qualified...I dont think they will give up match, also cause it counts for the title, but maybe they can enter relaxed, what can help Germany...

anyway, this next round will be really interesting.

• do you think Italy will help Germany to get the ticket? i dont think so....

Italy will fight for the title of course and the blue squad has very close distance from it...they have no reason to give up the game

to deduct the possible opponents in OG probably will be focused on in their heads, for the team that has already qualified to London...

the story may become bloody complicated hitchcokc series movie show if it happens like this of course, just kidding...
    ----------------------------------------------

i like your analysis anyway

what a pity to see Brasil has little chance to reach Top 3, but its exciting to see Italy and USA to fight for the first place, and Germany vs China to decide the final spot to London, it is possible to happen.....

to be me...

• no no, I agree with you I dont think Italy will help Germany, not intensionally. I was meaning more in psicological matter....if Italy enter the match against Germany knowing USA beated China, maybe they can loose a bit of focous (though of course they would still have to beat Kenya), that is what I meant, but I think will keep trying to win all matches they have ahead them...also cause if they do beat Germany, they already garantee they spot no matter other results too. ^^

• no no, I agree with you I dont think Italy will help Germany, not intensionally. I was meaning more in psicological matter....if Italy enter the match against Germany knowing USA beated China, maybe they can loose a bit of focous (though of course they would still have to beat Kenya), that is what I meant, but I think will keep trying to win all matches they have ahead them...also cause if they do beat Germany, they already garantee they spot no matter other results too. ^^

completely got your point, joanna...thanks for the details.. :drink:
    take a breath, wait for the final resutls 2 days later :D

to be me...

• It is two more chances to Brazil also to get London spot
    1- USA, Italy, China, Germany, Japan won't play Their matches because They won't want to play so will have 3 times 0 points and Brazil will be higher.
    2- Blood pieces from the Teams' Players who are higher than Brazil will go to Ankara Laboratory and like Anti-Doping rule says 3 matches results will be delete so Brazil will be higher too.

We have full Moon.. everything may happen..

• Tournament is turning out quite interesting indeed. As a fan, there is nothing better than having the final standings come down to the 4th and final round.

BRA: Still shocked at how poorly they've played. A match or two is understandable but they really haven't played to their capability in any of the matches, even in their win against Germany. There is visible tension on the team and whether that stems from the whole breakup of Mari and Sheilla thing I don't know but emotionally and mentally the team is not where they have been or need to be to win matches. It looks like a team divided. As others already mentioned, it's a huge opportunity for the Asian and European teams to earn their qualification spot. Even playing like they did here, Brazil shouldn't have any problems taking the South American Continental Championship. Peru, Argentina, and Colombia just aren't on their level. It will be best for the Olympic quality, as Brazil is really the only team from the region that can be considered a contender.

CHINA: China has slowly but surely kept themselves in contention for qualification without receiving too much focus from everyone else. If they were to qualify here it would be a major boost to their confidence after how much they've struggled recently and failed to meet the very high expectations set for the program. One factor going into the final round that will be important is their physical form. They've played the most sets out of GER, USA, JPN, and ITA and their coach made comments regarding their fatigue both mentally and physically. They play the USA the first match of the 4th round, will they be recovered enough to take the win? Fortunately for them and maybe unfortunately for Germany, they play Kenya in the second match and I would hope that they give the starters some rest for their final match against the Germans.

ITA: What I've been most impressed with with Italy is the quality of their service reception and back court defense. Lo Bianco is amazing of course, but she has had the luxury of some great passing that has really allowed her to be even more deceptive and run a great offense. Both Italian MB's have been very effective on attack because the passing allows them to be involved on a consistent basis. Germany and the USA are better serving teams than Serbia and Brazil, so it will be interesting to see if the Italians' passing can hold up. They rely on precision and movement for their offense to be effective, if Germany or the USA gets their passing out of rhythm and gives their block a chance to be well-formed the Italian offense will lose efficiency. Two great matches ahead and I can't wait.

GER: I don't think they've been able to reach the level they attained against the USA and they'll need to find that same form if they want to beat Italy the way they've been playing. The good thing for the Germans is that they are in total control of their own destiny and don't have to rely on other teams' outcomes. I think this team feeds heavily off of the adrenaline of big matches to get their team fired up, and in this final round there will be plenty of it. I think they'll come out firing and highly motivated to take care of business. They may lose to Italy, but I think they have very strong match ups against China and Japan. I'm hoping they'll qualify in the third position.

USA: It's been a pretty boring round for the Americans as they played the weaker teams in the tournament, but they did what was required of them and obtained all 9 points, and swept a Dominican team that can be unpredictably good at times. Larson hasn't been having the best of tournaments thus far, particularly on attack, and they've been giving her a lot of attempts. Her efficiency is going to need to increase to defeat Italy and China. Their best feature is their block defense and they have the serving capability to get China out of rhythm, as China isn't a great receiving team to begin with. If they serve well and take the Chinese quick attack away, their block should be able to be well-formed against their pin hitters. Same tactic will be for their match against Italy. I'm confident they'll get the points needed to qualify and I'd prefer that they came in second or third and avoid the unnecessary pressure of being the World Cup Champion going into the Olympics.

JPN: It will be very tough for them to beat USA and Germany. They deserve all the credit for their win over Brazil, but what we've seen from Brazil in this tournament is that they're not playing well which diminishes the quality of their win. Serbia swept Japan and really dominated at the net, which I expect the Americans and Germans to do as well. Their chances are the least favorable, but in front of their home crowd and with the confidence of beating Brazil we can't completely count the Japanese out.

• Congratulations Italy !! :super:
    Gioli was incredible and of course Carolina is playing great in this tournament :) I'm sad for Serbia but the roster is quite different than on ECH and they're not playing the same volleyball, unfortunetely ;( but anyway, good to see Jovana back on court :) and Veljkovic has a good tournament no doubt !

• I'm sorry to say that, but Brazil without qualifcation to OG from World Cup is great news. I think that 2 very weak teams on OG (Great Britain and african team) are enough. Two teams form South America is in my opinion too much so it is good that it will be only Brazil.

Totally agree!!!

I wish Germany would be in top three...

Me too, I love this team! And that would also mean more chance for the others European teams (for example I hope Turkey will grab a shot for the OG!).

ITA would get at least 26 pts. in the worst case (2 losses), it should be enough for a trip to London

It is: 26 point would be enough for us to be sure of the podium, and of being in London :cheesy:

I love the fact that Brazil will have to earn their Olympic ticket through the continental rounds. I agree with a poster above that it gives more opportunities for teams from Europe to grab a ticket for London and eventually a better volleyball. However, we must not forget that there is still a big possibility China may also qualify than Germany.

Even playing like they did here, Brazil shouldn't have any problems taking the South American Continental Championship. Peru, Argentina, and Colombia just aren't on their level. It will be best for the Olympic quality, as Brazil is really the only team from the region that can be considered a contender

Indeed, I've nothing vs Brazil, but since I'm sure they'll won the SA Olympic Qualification tournament, I consider the fact they are out of the WC podium as a great news for a more exiting OG. Even if Italy will play at it would be comfortable having "weaker" teams, I prefer to have more stronger teams!!

• I don't want to wish Brazil all bad things, 'cause I like this team very much, but I think, that because of their, sometimes, weak mentally they can be easy opponent to beat in future. All these injury, which made this team weaker, than it is, this pressure... Of course, it doesn't mean, that Brazil's force and being the best team in the world is coming to the end, but it looks like...
    Japan did amazing thing today. They should regret all this '3:0' lose, because they could have easier way to be in TOP 3. Now they have to fight more, and more(the opponents, with which Japan will play are strong, really strong). My heart was always with them, so I hope, that the end will be happy.
    Italy is so strong, I am really suprised of what they showing at this tournament. Honestly, I never thought, that at this moment of this tournament, they will have 8 matches, 8 wins and 0 lose. It's really impressive.

• ITA: What I've been most impressed with with Italy is the quality of their service reception and back court defense. Lo Bianco is amazing of course, but she has had the luxury of some great passing that has really allowed her to be even more deceptive and run a great offense. Both Italian MB's have been very effective on attack because the passing allows them to be involved on a consistent basis. Germany and the USA are better serving teams than Serbia and Brazil, so it will be interesting to see if the Italians' passing can hold up. They rely on precision and movement for their offense to be effective, if Germany or the USA gets their passing out of rhythm and gives their block a chance to be well-formed the Italian offense will lose efficiency. Two great matches ahead and I can't wait.

:teach: I fully agree to this statement - Now ITA is a more balanced team, with better defense and receiving as compared to the 6tet who failed at ECH 2 months ago. Now Lo Bianco can grant golden passes to Gioli and Arrighetti; Costagrande in her natural role (no more as OPP) is making quite often the difference... Lucia Bosetti until now has made up for Ortolani's injury, beyond adding her defence skills to her team. Paola Croce is the winning bet of Barbolini, he was widely criticized for leaving home young Leonardi...

Yet I wonder if this balance would stand up against the 2 best-serving teams; I wonder whether Lucia Bosetti may perform against MBs called Furst or Akinradewo; I wonder whether Gioli-Arrighetti may be effective in blocking US spikers (I feel more confident as their blocking the German ones).

This last round is for me the real final examination, in order to graduate ITA as an effective competitor to 2012 London podium. Should ITA fail to pass it, I would say thanks anyway to the girls for a beautiful tournament, and for the best performance in an international competition since 2009 Grand Champions Cup. :wavy:

• I am interested to see what happens if Italy does end up winning the tournament with L. Bosetti playing opposite. It seems like they put her there as a last resort but now that we've seen what she can do I wonder how good could she be if she trained further to play that position for Italy full-time. When Ortolani comes back her position may not be guaranteed.

• I didn't get to watch any match of Germany this weekend, only a short summary of DOM match in news. But even in this short summary it became obvious that it's wrong to play with Tzscherlich as libero. She couldn't defend an easy ball at 28-29 in 1st set and the same again at 11-13 in 5th set. I REALLY hope Guidetti has the guts to use Lenka as libero for the next matches. With her, our team hasn't lost a set yet, with Tzscherlich we lost twice and won the other only 3:2. Of course she only played against rather tough opponents and also she isn't the only "guilty" for losing, but right now it certainly makes a difference which libero plays. Please, Guidetti, trust Lenka!!!

Of course I hope we can still finish Top 3, but losing to DOM makes it rather hard. On the other hand, if we hadn't won so surprisingly against USA we'd probably have no chance at all, that makes losing 2 pts to DOM a little less bad. And, as someone else said earlier, we have our destiny in our own hands. I expect Italy will want revenge for ECH semifinal and play with full force against us, and their confidence right now is very high after being still unbeaten, so I expect them to win. In the past we always had problems against Japan, but now it would be very important to win, and if possible with 3 points, because I think if we can beat China it would be in 5 sets. They have the advantage that they can rest some players against Kenya and we will need everyone against Italy and Japan. It seems that Kozuch is getting the most tired of our players, she was not so good recently. Looks like today Regina Burchardt replaced her quite well even though Opp is not her usual position. Another option would be moving Grün to Opp and let another OH play, but I really hope Kozuch can get all her remaining energy together for the last 3 matches (sorry to Atom fans ;) ).

• I've never seen Brazil's team in such a bad phase. Last time Brazil's team was playing this bad was in the final round of the 2007 WGP when they lost to Russia, Netherlands, Italy and China and before that Zé Roberto was not Brazil's team coach.

Brazil's team is not confident on court. Service reception just doesn't exist, the setters are predictable and their sets are imprecise and slow.
    Blocking and defense are not working at all either. It just gets on my nerves to see Brazil's team on court.

The team is surely suffering with the absence of Jaqueline and Garay but this is not an excuse for such a lousy performance.

On the other hand it is nice to see Paula playing well again. Camila Brait should be given a chance as the team's libero. She's way more effective than Fabi. Tandara is also playing well.

Mari's performance is very disappointing. She's by far the worst Brazilian player in the WC.

I hope Brazil's team could recover just like Italy did after the ECH.

• I am interested to see what happens if Italy does end up winning the tournament with L. Bosetti playing opposite. It seems like they put her there as a last resort but now that we've seen what she can do I wonder how good could she be if she trained further to play that position for Italy full-time. When Ortolani comes back her position may not be guaranteed.

No question, Bosetti can crush that ball. But how is her blocking? She's 5'9, I wonder how will the US or Germany's OHs can use her height come game time.

Pretty much Italy and USA play the same system... Precise receiving and fast attacking. What I think will spell the difference is serving. If the US can put some pressure on the Italian receivers, then they will have a chance. However if Italy stabilizes its passing, Lo Bianco can run a very fast offense and if that happens, they're pretty much unstoppable. Same with USA, they can be unstoppable if they run that fast sets to Hooker, Akinradewo and Bown.

USA's match vs China and Japan will be exciting. Both teams have been improving as the tournament progresses.

This is exciting, the last round will ultimately decide who's going to take the crown and the 2 other places. :box:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Brazil will be back and I am sure they will find a way to compete for the finals in London. If their OHs are healthy, they are still the Top team in the world. No question about that. Thaisa and Fabiana make up one of the, if not the, best MB duos in the world right now. But my only real concern right now is Dani Lins and Fabiola's inconsistency...its getting irritating really. They've been with the program for many years now, especially Dani Lins, and they can't seem to perform at a high level on a consistent basis. Fabi's performance as well has been a disappointment. She wasn't the usual Top 5 libero in the world. Maybe its time for Camila Brait to start and prove her worth.

• as my favourite team Brasil
    i am so disappointed to see the players suddenly fading like the falling leafs...

Sheilla and Mari could not play as what they did in Pan Games...
    Paula is no longer the MVP in Beijing OG.
    Fabiana, whose arm injury annoys sometimes...she used to be the middle monster like what Rasic does now
    i think the title of captain gives her too much pressure, i seldom see smiles in her face and she didnt encourage the whole team...Fabiana is just not competent for this. Ze Roberto should decide another team spirit leader, not the setters , not the middle blockers, please...
    Thaisa needs someone to support her, mostly a consistent setter at the moment..
    Fabi, defense was her best skill, but now, she is too far from her best form..

history repeats itself always...2007 Brasil reached down in the damps and won nothing, but they were the queen in OG...this year, they did not perform that bad, and i am sure the girls will recover and devote into another contention road very soon..

to be me...