2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• Please forgive my ignorance, but why does this look like a home match for Finland?? :what:

Apparently Helsinki is relatively close to Katowice. Brazilian broadcasters have also said that plently of Finns came to watch the volley WCH after Finland was eliminated from the basketball WCH.

• Apparently Helsinki is relatively close to Katowice. Brazilian broadcasters have also said that plently of Finns came to watch the volley WCH after Finland was eliminated from the basketball WCH.

What a joke :rolll: There are around 3000 Finnish fans in Katowice since the first match. Finland always have good support on ECH so this isnt nothing new. There were around 50-80 Finnish fans in Gdynia, 2 years ago on junior ECH. And I'm not talking about family and friends of players

Btw. Mexico :whistle:

• Apparently Helsinki is relatively close to Katowice. Brazilian broadcasters have also said that plently of Finns came to watch the volley WCH after Finland was eliminated from the basketball WCH.

What do you mean by "close"? Katowice is in the south of Poland, so geographically it's nowhere near Helsinki.

I had no idea that volleyball is so popular in Finland that so many people follow the team to WCH :white:

• What do you mean by "close"? Katowice is in the south of Poland, so geographically it's nowhere near Helsinki.

I had no idea that volleyball is so popular in Finland that so many people follow the team to WCH :white:

Cheap alcohol in Poland might have persuaded one or another Fin to fly over as well :whistle:

Anyway, thumps up for both, team and fans, who make this an enjoyable game so far. Unfortunaterly i have to leave now.......

• I am not watching the game in Gdansk. Is Russia playing with the medicals and the assistant coaches? Or perhaps they are experimenting because the score is not going to count for the second round anyway? I am asking because I can't see the rosters. Great game between Brazil and Finland.

• Lucarelli :obey:
    By the way, I was just repeating what the Brazilian narrators said, but I feel they're full of crap. My Europe geography knowledge is not that good too. lol

• After 2 service reception errors, Lucarelli fired 2 aces! Love this match. Now he just got another one. Crazy game

• 3 aces and 1 more point in 4 serves interrupted by 2 time-outs! Lucarelli is just bossing around...

By the way, why isn't Bruno playing? Is it an injury or a tactical decision?

• Respect to Finnish fans!!!!! So far the only supporters I have seen where no-one boos the other team when they are serving. They seem to really enjoy the event itself. Good game by Lucarelli - Sidao showing a bit of rustiness - I guess he didnt play last match so a bit expected..

• 3 aces and 1 more point in 4 serves interrupted by 2 time-outs! Lucarelli is just bossing around...

By the way, why isn't Bruno playing? Is it an injury or a tactical decision?

He's been feeling some pain in his right hand since the game against Tunisia.

• LUCARELLI :obey: :obey: :obey:

amazing play from him!! He looks even stronger now - The only part of his game needing more work now is his blocking.. The improvements in his attacking and passing are phenomenal!!

• Inspiring stuff from Finland. They could've easily won but they lacked something just a little bit extra. Maybe some players are not experienced enough (e.g. Tervaportti shouldn't have set to his opposite when Vissotto came in the place of Raphael and covered zone 4 in block at 22:21 for Finland), or maybe the coaching is not good enough.

Brazilians on the other hand were not impressive but they possess exactly that thing tha FInland doesn't. Their experience and their serves (especially Lucarelli's) dragged them out of potential complications.

Let me comment the Finnish fans. I've noticed them at previous competitions, I've even seen them live. I'm a huge fan of their respectful supporting, but I think their behaviour is one tad bit too reserved and... 'boring'. Judging by their behaviour (funny clapping and everything), their wigs and their age, one might come to the conclusion that a large care home has organised a group excursion to Poland for its elderly inhabitants. Not that it's a bad thing, but where are the young people?

• Once again it's clear that Lucarelli plays better with Raphael, while Sidão and Lucão are better with Bruno, which may explain why Brazil didn't perform as usual today. The blocking was the main thing that didn't really work from the Brazilian side today, the MBs in particular were kinda sleepy (from the service line too).

From the Finnish side, I really liked Ojansivu's performance. Tervaportti played relatively well too, although he had a few mistakes in crucial points. I was expecting a though match given Finnish audience and Finland's overall improvement since the WL and I was very glad with how exciting the match ended up being. Much better than the one against Germany.