World Grand Prix 2012

• But she will keep try play for NT as long as she can....maybe she will take a year off 2013 in NT but if she still has high level in 2014, she will for sure play in WCH that year. I dont think she will be there if she for ex. will be bench player, but if she is good enough to play she will be there.

Probably in 2014, we will be watching Goncharova as a starting OPP .Maybe Gamova would be a good back-up then.

• Probably Turkish NT is the most (or one of most) improved team in last ten years span. Won silver and bronze medals in ECH in this span. So now competing in Grand Prixes, World Cups and will compete in Olympics.
    From now on only success for Turkish NT is to win medals in every competition they participate, nothing less than that.

One important success for me that may give indication about future NT is that Turkish Girl Youth team won Gold medal in "World Youth Champs".(1st Turkey, 2nd China, 3rd Serbia) And that is an important achievement.

As I have stated before;

" The main reason of success of Turkish NT last 5-10 years or so, is that their player are playing in European Club Competitions and playing final fours, playing Finals and becoming Champs of respective tournaments. So that winner attitude and mental strength is not something taken away easily. They just just continue doing again with NT, what they have than with Club teams. "

• What's happen to USA? They let Argentina score 23 point in a set

I talked to Hugh at the press conference today and he said that at the start of the match they struggled with the lineup being different from yesterday but they settled in as the match went on.

The crowd was awesome again today, and they were cheering for Argentina esp. in the first set.

• Thailand overpower Serbia in dramatic four sets to win a Finals

Bangkok,
    Thailand, June 23, 2012 – Hosts Thailand pulled off a magnificent
    come-from-behind 3-1 (12-25 25-16 25-19 25-21) victory over European
    winners Serbia to stay unbeaten in home Pool J encounters in the FIVB
    World Grand Prix at the Keelawes 1 Gymnasium on Saturday.

Powerful
    Onuma Sittirak scored a match-high 17 points for Thailand, assisted by
    Wilavan Apinyapong’s 16 kills and four effective blocks from Malika
    Kanthong. The 193cm-tall Nadja Ninkovic led Serbia with 13 points
    consisting of seven deadly attacks and six blocks.

The crucial
    win maintains the safe-zone fourth place for Thailand in the overall
    standing with 20 points from eight matches, sufficient to win a berth
    for the Finals in Ningbo, China from June 27 to July 1.

Serbia,
    which lost to Thailand in straight sets at the last month’s World
    Olympic Qualification Tournament in Tokyo, Japan, started cool under
    pressure when they attacked aggressively right from the whistle to take
    an initial 5-0 lead in the first set.

With powerful-hitter Onuma
    overcoming the taller blockers with her mighty attacks, Thailand gained
    some points to come close at 3-5. However, from that points, Thailand’s
    poor reception and erratic spiking caused the host side scoring
    difficulties.

Serbia, whose height average is 187cm against the
    Thais’ 175cm, took the height advantage to spike devastatingly and block
    effectively to widen the gap to 17-10 and 21-12. Thailand regrouped to
    play more consistently, but their determined attempts were in vain. The
    visitors silenced the cheering home crowds with the convincing 25-12 win
    in the lop-sided battle.

After going down in the first set,
    Thailand came back stronger in the second set to lead 4-1. Wilavan was
    the backbone of the team, puncturing the Serbian defence with her sharp
    spikes at the post. As the host team launched a barrage of explosive
    attacks, the world No.6 lost their touch. Thailand grabbed the golden
    chance to come in full force with gutsy display. Onuma carried out
    powerful jump serves, while Wilavan and Pleumjit Thinkaow made an
    excellent offensive combination to help the host team widen the gap to
    16-8 and 21-13. The height remained the visitors’ weapon, while the
    hosts’ amazing speed and power at the net proved too much for Serbia.
    Leading 22-15, Thailand allowed the much taller rivals only one more
    point to wrap up the set 25-16.

Their confidence skyhigh
    following the second-set win, Thailand remained in splendid form to lead
    5-1 and advanced 12-5 in the third set. Onuma continued her brilliance
    to pound the taller blockers with lightning-fast spikes as the hosts
    entertained the home crowds with acrobatic fast spikes and never-say-die
    attitude. Thailand moved ahead 19-14 and 21-18 before Serbia fielded
    tall and towering Sanja Starovic, 195cm to foil the Thais’ attacking
    attempts. However, their fightback did not last long when the host side
    marched on their significant performance to win the hard-fought set
    25-19.

In the fourth set, both sides poured everything in the
    contest. However, Thailand fared a bit better to take a narrow 8-7 lead.
    After a few rallies, the Serbians counter-attacked well to catch
    Thailand at 9-9. The home side still had enough to hold them off which
    saw Onuma give Thailand a strong comeback as she attacked from all
    corners. The battle became more thrilling when hosts Thailand were
    leading narrowly 23-21. A Nootsara Tomkom’s well-placed serve brought
    Thailand to a matchpoint 24-21 before Serbia blocked out a sharp spike
    from Malika Kanthong in the last-ditch attempt. Thailand eventually
    captured the thrilling set 25-21 and the match.
    :kiss: :kiss:

• Probably in 2014, we will be watching Goncharova as a starting OPP .Maybe Gamova would be a good back-up then.

Just as I wrote before, its hard to imagine Gamova as a back up player, a more possible line-up then, if Gamova still is in shape, is Gamova as OPP and Goncharova-Kosheleva as OH´s with help from Scherban in the back row.

• Btw, Congrats Thailand they are 7-1 now.they're keeping playing stably.Japan is out of the final round but Thailand is there. :thumbup:
    the big disappointment of the tournament has been Dominic R. :down:

I agree.
    DR still playing with the same players and nothing has changed. :thumbdown:

• Hard to imagine DR caught the olympic spot from Cuba in their qualies around a month ago! Even if DR lacks some important players, its a huge difference between them now.

• It also happened to their men team. Because the Cubans don't play in club season they find their form later than the other teams. They start to play better and better by the time .Usually the qualifying tournaments matches are the first one they play in a season. Since their important players are usually inexperienced and young, they can't play their best in the early tournaments.

• It also happened to their men team, because Cubans don't play in club season .They find their form later than the other teams. They start to play better and better by the time .Usually the qualifying tournaments matches are the first one they play in a season. Since their important players are usually inexperienced and young, they can't play their best in the early tournaments.

I know Cuba had a own league 2010/2011 season and also many seasons before that...did they close it last year?

• I know Cuba had a own league 2010/2011 season and also many seasons before that...did they close it last year?

It's not really an answer to your question and it's also kinda off topic, but I just remembered that in one article of the best known German volleyball journalist after men OQT was written that some Cuban players joined the party of German men after qualifying for OG and they told that after failing to qualify for OG they will be able to play abroad next season. I don't know if it's true and if it is, if it's the same for Cuban women, but it would surely be good for them.

• Again, you have to look for other match results..oh Poland..I hope that luck will be with us.

• what results between what teams are needed for Poland to get to Final Round?

Poland is out, no chance imo

• serdar

I wouldnt call it disrespect honestly. I just used my words in its context. I said "no success" since I compared with the goals from your fans, to achive a medal. Obviously in general a 6th place in a WCH as the best in last 9 yrs. is still a good achivement, but its no success if u compare to the contenders Turkey has in OG. I just wanted to calm down the expectations, nothing else. I apologize if I wasnt clear enough with what I meant.

My problem with your words are whenever some users start to cheer up and say their congrats and hopes for future, you are starting to underestimate team's performance and after some times it seems there is ulterior motive in your comments. It is not objective point of view. You always give too much credits for some teams and players (such as Russia and Scherban) and underestimates some specific ones. Although I totally think that Russia's even semi-final chance is suspicious, I have never screamed it many times you said about Turkey :down: As I said before, I am letting it go this time and wait for OG starts :roll:

• Is somebody having any idea about whether Wei Quie will play in Finals?

• You always give too much credits for some teams and players (such as Russia and Scherban) and underestimates some specific ones.

Its possible that im not always objective about the turks and their chances, I try to be, but who knows.

About Scherban, she have been injured in her back and did not play in Turkey or Japan, but im curious why u think I overrate her, have u ever seen her play?

• Poland is out, no chance imo

I don't think Poland is out yet.I'm absolutely sure that Cuba will take the 5th ticket to Ningbo and the last ticket will go between Brazil Germany and Poland,that have to win to advance to the final round.Poland still have a chance cuz Brazil and Germany still have hard work to do (Brazil against China and Germany against Turkey).