2012 Olympic Games

• What? Opening ceremony at 10 pm? What a silly idea. Who Sportman will go to the ceremony if He has match in the next day?

Well, fireworks at 4 pm could look very queer :D

• Former usa head coach Lang Ping predicts predicts the 4 medal contenders in London. according to her, it will be usa, Italy, Brazil, and China. Possible dark horses are Turkey, Russia, and Korea.

source: http://www.fivb.org/en/olympics/london2012/blog.asp

Without distance to Her NT.

• she's counting out japan since she didnt mention about the japanese.. :drink:

• So she predicted seven teams? Wow, what a great prediction... :whistle:

Pffff ....
    although Italy's victory is obvious for all who know some little things in volleyball :dance6:

• Team's age average:

1)Algeria: 23.16
    2)China: 23.83
    3)Serbia: 24.83
    4)Dominic Republic: 25
    5)Turkey: 25.33
    6)Korea: 26.83
    - Great Britain:26.83
    8 )Japan: 27
    9)Brazil: 27.25
    10)Russia: 28
    11)USA: 28.16
    12)Italy: 28.58

As it is seen, the youngest team is Algeria and the oldest is Italy. The oldest player among the all teams is Daniella Scott-Arruda, 39 years old.

The oldest team that is created from the teams that will play in London Olympics: :lol:
    S:Yoshie Takeshita (34 years old)
    OPP: Tayyiba Haneef-Park(33 years old)
    OHs: Evgenia Estes(37 years old), Liubov Sokolova (34 years old)
    MBs: Danielle Scott-Arruda (39 years old), Simona Gioli (34 years old)
    L: Paola Croce (34 years old)

• For me ITA still is one of the strongest contenders to win. I don't care their play in Yeltsin cup or Edison Cup. I was writing many times how I trust in Barbolini and I'm still pretty sure that he will prepare his team very well. I've followed women's volleyball for many years and I know that very often you play horrible 2 weeks before main competition and then you win. For me a bad shape some weeks before OG could be a good sign for a team. Only the best teams like USA or Brazil (some years ago) can affrod to be on theirs best level for all year. Limited teams like ITA (with so many old and short players) have to build a highest shape for a main event.

• For me ITA still is one of the strongest contenders to win. I don't care their play in Yeltsin cup or Edison Cup. I was writing many times how I trust in Barbolini and I'm still pretty sure that he will prepare his team very well. I've followed women's volleyball for many years and I know that very often you play horrible 2 weaks before main competition and then you win. For me a bad shape some weaks before OG could be a good sign for a team. Only the best teams like USA or Brazil (some years ago) can affrod to be on theirs best level for all year. Limited teams like ITA (with so many old and short players) have to build a highest shape for a main event.

But this is exactly the problem, even the most perfect preparation can't change the fact that Italy is the oldest team and not a tall one. They only have a chance to achieve something big if several other teams come less prepared, but I don't think they will. USA made that mistake in 2010, they peaked in WGP and were not so good anymore in WCH, and I'm sure McCutcheon learned from that. Russia was badly prepared in OG 2008 and Ovchinnikov knows that his head will roll if it happens again so I'm sure he will have taken very good care of the preparation.
    Given that all teams come well prepared, I really don't think Italy can win a medal, and if they do Bronze would already be a really great surprise for me.

About average ages, if you leave out C.Bosetti for Italy and Scott for USA, there will be much bigger difference between the teams. USA's strength is that they have a perfect mix of experienced players (Berg, Tom, Haneef, Scott) and younger players who are in their best years now (Hooker, Larson, Harmotto, Akinradewo) while Italy for my taste has too many old players, the only exceptions are Bosetti sisters and Arrighetti...

• i wonder what will italy have the same reception problems that plagued them in the quarterfinals of 2008 og against usa :whistle:

• Obviously Italy will have no problems reaching the quarters. They could either be 1st or 2nd in their Pool but I'm leaning more on putting them at 2nd...Russia is just too talented as of the moment with all those big hitters. If Italy will place 2nd, a possibility of a match-up between either USA or Brazil or China or Turkey will happen... And any of those 4 teams can match-up Italy pretty well.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

i wonder what will italy have the same reception problems that plagued them in the quarterfinals of 2008 og against usa :whistle:

The Italy's problem in Beijing was lack of Del Core. The team was completely disorganized because Aguero hadn't played as a OH before. Moreover Aguero had personal problems that time. It was really unfortunate OG for Italian players. Beijing 2008 was the best time for Gioli, Piccinini, Lo Bianco and etc. to win an olympic medal. They were at the top then.
    Now it's true that they are 4 years older:whistle: I don't think that it doesn't matter but I still trust them. I believe that power of dream,determination and expierance can be more important than physical shape :lol: That's why I predict a bronze or silver medal for ITA.

• I must say for me the finalist are USA and Russia, than Brasilia and China, for me Italy doesnt have the place in 4. now, we will see in two weeks :lol:

• I'd even be not surprised if Italy lost against Japan and finishes only 3rd in their pool, but as there will be a drawing of lots for QFs of 2nd and 3rd ranked teams it doesn't really matter. Apart from that, I agree that whoever they meet in QF has a good chance of beating them, but in general, the only really predictable QF is winner of Pool B against DOM who will most likely finish 4th in Pool A. In the other matches, everything is possible. 4 years ago, three QFs finished 3:0 (but CHN-RUS was very equal at least for two sets) and only ITA-USA was a big battle. 8 years ago, China and Russia won easily against Japan and Korea, but the other two matches USA-BRA and CUB-ITA were big battles too. This year could be the most balanced OG since I follow Volleyball :thumbsup: I really hope all teams will be in best shape...

• The Italy's problem in Beijing was lack of Del Core. The team was completely disorganized because Aguero hadn't played as a OH before. Moreover Aguero had personal problems that time. It was really unfortunate OG for Italian players. Beijing 2008 was the best time for Gioli, Piccinini, Lo Bianco and etc. to win an olympic medal. They were at the top then.
    Now it's true that they are 4 years older:whistle: I don't think that it doesn't matter but I still trust them. I believe that power of dream,determination and expierance can be more important than physical shape :lol: That's why I predict a bronze or silver medal for ITA.

i would also add that cardullo was in bad shape that game, the us servers might have targeted aguerro but cardullo's reception was worse :aww:

• Wow, I can't wait watch the Olympic Games. Even predicting results is so absorbing :lol:
    Unfortunately during the OG I don't have so much time for volleyball although it's my favourite sport ;( The main problem is I'm interested in athletics as much as in volleyball. Moreover I want to watch swimming and all sports in which Poles are competing. The results is that I wil not watch so much volleyball as always :mad: Fortunately after the OG there is a possibility to download all the matches :drink:

• Confirmed Serbian roster for London
    L: Suzana Cebic
    S: Maja Ognjenovic, Bojana Zivkovic
    MB: Milena Rasic, Stefana Veljkovic, Natasha Krsmanovic
    OH: Jovana Vesovic, Ivana Djerisilo, Jelena Blagojevic, Brankica Mihajlovic
    OP: Jovana Brakocevic, Sanja Starovic

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Volleyball.it claims that the drawing of lots for QF of 2nd and 3rd ranked teams is new but it's not true, it was done already 4 years ago and there the 2nd ranked teams ITA and USA and the 3rd ranked teams RUS and CHN met each other eventually...