2013 FIVB World Grand Prix

• wow. ishida is really a fireball. and she's kinda short!!!!

wow. nagaoka comes in and immediately she has 3 kills!!!! why isn't she a starter? and why is it so hard to block her? i know she's a lefty but the US has a lefty, why don't they practice blocking against her?

Reception issues. If they use Nagaoka then Ebata is out; same way vice versa. And right now Ebata is more useful because she is left-wing, so it's easier to set her when situation becomes sticky.

• Receptions issues for Japan, from my advanced stats.

75% of Ebata's touches are spikes, 65% of Nagaoka's touches are spikes. Neither of these players are doing serve receive when they are on the court. (Ebata has 1 serve reception and Nagaoka with 7 in the 3 weeks of Pool Play)

Put them both out there, Japan is then running a 2 person serve receive (with the libero included in the 2) and Saori Kimura is going to be tired if she is asked to do everything.

Sadly, Japan has to have them on the court because for some reason Sakoda did not play. She was always a high value player for them in the time that she played on the court.

I like Manabe as a coach, but sometimes it frustrates me when the stats show something.

• i don't get it. how does the 2-person reception work? and who are the passers, kimura and the libero???? that's crazy.

just now watching bits of JPN x TUR. is there some bad blood between tehse two teams? watch here at 38:50 and the replay, why is darnel saying something to the japanese defenders??? is she being nasty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFX_kBeKM8

(if it were jaqueline and not the japanese libero, she'd gotten the finger and a few choice words... :-0 )

after DR and cuba, i think turkey is the team that frustrates me the most. they should be in the top 5 but they are not, so many dumb mistakes. sonsirma is having trouble putting the ball down, at one point, she even runs into the net and knocks 2 japanese blockers down, like a bowling strike...

where is erda??????

• Is there a reason that Ebata doesn't receive? It seems so atypical for a Japanese outside hitter to not have to do so. Granted Shinabe can pass from the opposite position which allows Ebata to concentrate on spiking but Ebata is not some tall, strong spiker like Yimei and the likes that probably couldn't be an effective passer. Nagaoka is a strong option for Japan's future and is still young. If Ebata could receive and have them both on the floor it would be of great benefit. However, Shinabe has had an excellent tournament thus far from the OPP position so at the moment it's not needed.

• I don't she says anything bad, most probably she is just sick of how Japanese team dig every ball she has spiked :roll:

• Just looking at the Japanese lineup from the Turkey match on the video. Shinnabe is technically playing as the opposite from Miyashita (setter), but the actual opposite player is Ebata. This is because she is opposite of Saori Kimura.
    Shinnabe, Kimura and libero are Japan's serve receive team.

For the women's game 2 person serve receive is crazy, but if the ball isn't served to the libero, it essentially becomes 2 person serve receive.

Brazil's Fernanda Rodriguez and Gabriela Guimaraes combined had 415 of Brazil's 572 serve receive attempts (72%), the liberos took 132 (23%)

• If rosters are true:
    - in Serbia Nikolic is back and Malagurski is out
    - in USA Thompson and Faucette in, Hagglund and Fawcett out (is it possible ?)

Italy, China, Brazil and Japan rosters were listed earlier

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• If rosters are true:
    - in Serbia Nikolic is back and Malagurski is out
    - in USA Thompson and Faucette in, Hagglund and Fawcett out (is it possible ?)

Italy, China, Brazil and Japan rosters were listed earlier

I don't know about Serbia, but I think USA will go with Hagglund and Fawcett.. they are in all the pics the players posted on twitter and instagram so.. I don't think they would've been there practicing if they were not to play

• I don't know about Serbia, but I think USA will go with Hagglund and Fawcett.. they are in all the pics the players posted on twitter and instagram so.. I don't think they would've been there practicing if they were not to play

FIVB had the same mistake in USA's roster for 3rd week already...

About Serbia, someone wrote some time ago here that Nikolic did not need surgery on her knee after all and might be back for final round, so that could be true as well...

• Just watched a video interview with Hagglund about the trainings with Japan that USA made in Sendai. So she's definitely still with the team. Also I've read some quotes from Malagurski about the upcoming final and and the tough opponents they have (and she 'sounded' like she was going to play), so she is also with the team. Serbia has spent the last week in Kagoshima and arrived to Sapporo today.

• FIVB had the same mistake in USA's roster for 3rd week already...

About Serbia, someone wrote some time ago here that Nikolic did not need surgery on her knee after all and might be back for final round, so that could be true as well...

I know Nikolic is in Japan...but I think so was Malagurski in the beggining. Jelena posted some photos in Japan in her facebook this week...but also did Malagurski last week..so dont know.

• I don't she says anything bad, most probably she is just sick of how Japanese team dig every ball she has spiked :roll:[/quote]Yes yes.. that's the reason I agree.. She was frustrated of all the defensive plays Japan made and then the player came across the net and still got the ball up so she got but nervous.. :)

i hope so, i always liked darnel but i think it's weird to say something to opponent during match, it makes it look like a provocation or confrontational, and if it's some of the more hot-tempered teams like cuba x brazil, it can turn into a fight quickly...

you know, there's a YT vid of a fight between jaqueline and another player (in the brazilian league?) because jaque was trying to get to a ball on the other side and she couldn't, and the opposing player goes and hits the ball and screams at her, and they go at each other (verbally)...

• you know, there's a YT vid of a fight between jaqueline and another player (in the brazilian league?) because jaque was trying to get to a ball on the other side and she couldn't, and the opposing player goes and hits the ball and screams at her, and they go at each other (verbally)...

It was with Marisa Fernandez in a CL game when Jaqueline played in Jesi...and it was real funny :lol: