Russian Federation NT 2013

• Quite shocking (at least for me) news came from CEO of Dinamo Krasnodar, Ruslan Olichver (via google translator):

- The contract with Rosir is for 3 years. Given a strict limit on the foreign players in the Russian Championship and the lack of high-class strikers, I can say that in the near future Rosir Calderon will receive Russian citizenship and no longer go to the site in the status of Legionnaire. It is possible that the newly formed Russian woman interested in the future of the national team coaching staff of Russia.

Rosir playing for Russia? Do you think it is possible?

:what: Yeah, definitely a shocking news. I don't know if the rule still exists. If it does, Russia can't have Calderon and Goncharova at the same time...

• If I'm not mistaken, Calderon's husband is from Russia

• It exists still, and as Obmochaeva is 5 years younger than Calderon, I expect Russia NT to keep her.

True, but on the other hand - you never know what to expect from players. Let's imagine that Katya won't return to the NT and Natya decides to start a family. Wouldn't that open the doors for Rosir? It's all speculations of course, but that possibility will probably exist as long as Calderon will continue her career.

Quote from Nati

If I'm not mistaken, Calderon's husband is from Russia

Yeah, that would explain a lot.

• Marichev announced the roster for Montreux Cup

Setters : Ekaterina Pankova(Odintsovo Zarechie), Anastasia Salina(Uralochka), Anna Matienko(Dinamo Krasnodar)
    MB : Natalia Dianska(Severstal), Valerija Goncharova(Dynamo Moscow), Anastasia Shlyahova(Omichka) Irina Zaryazhko(Uralochka)
    OH : Alexandra Pasynkova, Victoria Chaplina(Uralochka), Tatiana Kosheleva(Dynamo Moscow), Ksenija Bondar, Nelly Alisheva (Proton), Daria Stolyarova, Natalia Malikh(Zarechie Odintsovo)
    Libero : Anna Malova(Ufimochka), Alexandra Vinogradova(Odintsovo Zarechie)

These players are training in Novogorske. Marichev will cut 2 players from this roster.

Natalia Obmochaeva, Maria Borodakova, Julia Morozova, Regina Moroz will take a rest after the final play-off series. And Svetlana Kryuchkov and Julia Merkulova will join in June. Another world champion in 2010 Evgenija Startseva occupied rehabilitation after injury, with which it has completed the club season. A similar situation with another binder, and Irina Uraleva, Jana Scherban. Ekaterina Gamova won't be playing this year.But Liubov Sokolova can help the team during ECH 2013 if the team has a problem on OH position.

On the other hand, Ludmila Malofeeva, Ekaterina Bogachyova, Daria Pisarenko had left because they had health problems.

• Good that Salina will play. We will see if Matthias' theory 'Salina can't play without Karpol's tips' is true.

• Good that Salina will play. We will see if Matthias' theory 'Salina can't play without Karpol's tips' is true.

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant that all she does in Uralochka is following exactly Karpol's plan. Maybe she can play better with a different coach, but in Uralochka, she did terrible in my opinion. What's the use of setting the MBs after EVERY good reception when they constantly face a double or even triple block while the OH would have only one blocker but never gets the ball in that situation?

• Daria Pisarenko has been rated a promising player but never got a chance to play in senior NT, too bad... It looks like she's got some serious injuries and won't appear in NT this year either.

• Pisarenko holds great promise, but their injuries have been so constant impeding your progress. But after 2009 nobody thought Pasynkova recover his best form after ta well from various injuries, Daria keep hope.

• Strange how FIVB is living in the past regarding Citizenship rules and eligiblity to play. FIFA long go dropped restrictions on player movements between countries.
    Exactly how many citizenships can a vollyball player rack up during their professional lifetime? Are they giving them away at the airport? It always appeared to me that players trying to gain Russian Citizenship, even from ex-soviet republics, had to endure quite a process to achieve that. It was never something that only took a few months.

• After watching the Montreaux Volley Masters, I think Irina Zaryazhko is definitely the perfect choice for the Russian NT. She's very tall, yet fast and her spikes are very powerful. Her blocking is great too. She will be a great asset for the NT and I think she will do a better job than Borodakova and Merkulova. After seeing the OG between Russia and Brazil, Russia obviously need more effective MB who can attack more quickly and more aggressively. I also like Natalia Malykh, but she's still so young. Pankova, the setter, did a pretty good job too.

In my opinion, Russia needs a better setter and a new liboro Svetlana Kryuchkov was one of russia' weaknesses in the OG.The team should play faster and has more attack variety. Their attacks have been too predictable lately.

• Juri Marichev has announced 17 players for Jeltsin Cup.

Setters : Anastasia Salina, Ekaterina Pankova, Anna Matienko
    Opps : Nataliya Obmochaeva, Daria Isaeva, Nataliya Malikh
    MBs : Irina Zaryazhko, Maria Borodakova, Anastasia Shlyakhovaya, Valerija Goncharova, Nataliya Dianskaya
    OHs : Alexandra Pasynkova, Victoria Chaplina, Ksenija Bondar
    Liberos : Svetlana Krychkova, Anna Malova, Alexandra Vinogradova

Source : http://www.yeltsincup.ru/

• According to this article Calderon could get russian citizienship in November - http://volleyball.sport-express.ru/news/2013-06-05/591401/

If i were Rosir Calderon, i would not play for the National Team of Russia. She should adopt the same mentality as Mirka Francia when she declined to play for Italy. Another reason was that her father was a former coach of the Cuban NT. I would not mind if Russia gets players from countries like Ukraine, Belarus, etc. beacuse those countries were former parts of the USSR. It would be a sore in the eyes for me to see a traditional powerhouse country like Russia having naturalized players outside the Soviets on their team. I mean its not their tradition. Karpol for so many years was able to develop players like Estes, Godina, Sokolova, Tischenko, Gamova, Batutina, Menchova, Belikova, Potachova, etc. without having the need for this naturalization B*. This would also mean that one of the younger Russian OHs of this generation would have to give up their starting positions for her. But then again, this would still be up to Rosir Calderon if she wants to play for the Russian NT or just continue playing volleyball on a club level.

• If i were Rosir Calderon, i would not play for the National Team of Russia. She should adopt the same mentality as Mirka Francia when she declined to play for Italy. Another reason was that her father was a former coach of the Cuban NT. I would not mind if Russia gets players from countries like Ukraine, Belarus, etc. beacuse those countries were former parts of the USSR. It would be a sore in the eyes for me to see a traditional powerhouse country like Russia having naturalized players outside the Soviets on their team. I mean its not their tradition. Karpol for so many years was able to develop players like Estes, Godina, Sokolova, Tischenko, Gamova, Batutina, Menchova, Belikova, Potachova, etc. without having the need for this naturalization B*. This would also mean that one of the younger Russian OHs of this generation would have to give up their starting positions for her. But then again, this would still be up to Rosir Calderon if she wants to play for the Russian NT or just continue playing volleyball on a club level.

You know the topic about Rosir playing for the Russian NT is still a speculation, I think. My guess is that citizienship has more to do with her playing as a russian player (and not be blocking the place for another foreigner) in Dinamo than getting a call to the NT.