2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• I like the english commentator for DOM v MEX. Has a nice sardonic sense of humor.

• Who tells the server who to serve to? I always see them looking over at the bench but the coach (standing on the court) isn't even looking at them usually. Is there an assistant coach on the bench for all the teams assigned this duty?

I've seen NED coach doing it but that's the only one

• Speaking of Germany, is Lippmann unique in her big roundabout court lap she does to get from position 5 over to where she can attack from 2 (or 1, I guess, from backcourt)? Other OPs must do this, albeit more discreetly, and maybe I'm only noticing Lippmann do it because I'm fond of her.

Murphy and Drews does this too. I remember there's a viral video of Drews sprinting across the court and killing a fast set. Real good display of volleyball!

• Well ... Turkey drops a set to AZE. I don't care if they win or lose I like this squad a lot: Legs, Shorty, The Vampire, The Teenager, The Tight Bun Twins. And Hande. I might even come around to Ebrar some day.

Gui, when he doesn't look like he's in serious need of passing gas, reminds me of Robert Duval in Apocalypse Now during the beach surf scene, bombs, bodies and balls flying all around him and he's oblivious.

• Who tells the server who to serve to? I always see them looking over at the bench but the coach (standing on the court) isn't even looking at them usually. Is there an assistant coach on the bench for all the teams assigned this duty?

I've seen NED coach doing it but that's the only one

It is usually the coach who signals where to serve, normally by either speaking directly to the player or making hand gestures signaling the position.

• The story was posted at #1,620 :whistle:

2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

I saw your post but it doesn't say why what or how he came back ... oh wait, you edited the post! Haha okay I'll go read up. When I first saw it there was only the Facebook Photo.

• It is usually the coach who signals where to serve, normally by either speaking directly to the player or making hand gestures signaling the position.

Hmm ... like I say, Ive seen the NED coach holding up fingers, but whenever they show a shot of the server looking for a sign and the coach is in the shot, it never looks like they are communicating in any way. But I believe all of you that that is who is most likely doing it.

• Kinda miss the other British guy (don't know who) who used to do a lot of commentary for FIVB (like last year's WGCC). Better voice, better pronunciation of players' names.

Clayton Lucas. Yes, he's good. My favorite