2015 World Cup - Japan - 9/8

• Iran is out of the top 2 for sure.

Now, would it make sense for them to give up their fight against Italy in order to get rid of as many European teams as possible for the world qualification tournament?

There will be two european teams at the world qualifier anyway. And if I understand it right, they would only have to care about the other asian teams there. Furthermore, "helping" Italy could possibly mean seeing Russia/Poland at the world qualifier. So, no, i don't think that this would make sense......

• There will be two european teams at the world qualifier anyway. And if I understand it right, they would only have to care about the other asian teams there. Furthermore, "helping" Italy could possibly mean seeing Russia/Poland at the world qualifier. So, no, i don't think that this would make sense......

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, let me expand it:

In the current situation, US and Poland qualify. One between Russia, France and Italy wins the European qualification, this leaves two of the previous teams in the world tournament, together with home Japan and Australia. I really wouldn't want to play this tournament with this competition.

Getting rid of Poland and Russia here, Italy and the European, then face France and maybe Bulgaria or Germany at the world tournament would be an enormous difference.

Iran has only this tournament to qualify, I can see them losing an emotional match against Japan or Australia.

• Iran is out of the top 2 for sure.

Now, would it make sense for them to give up their fight against Italy in order to get rid of as many European teams as possible for the world qualification tournament?

intentionally ? no way but they will give up at some point :D let Zaitsev or Juantorena serves once or twice. then they will fall apart.

the current team is even weaker than 2009-2010 teams. no fighting spirit, very predictable, players don't even listen to Kovac. Mahmoudi's injury also made things worse. I doubt they even can beat Japan or Egypt.

I used to support Kovac but he is not the just the man to handle this team anymore. they need a big name, someone charismatic like Velasco. poor Kovac never had any kind of support here, nobody even gave him credit for that 6th place finish in Poland last year.

I know it's hard to predict things in volleyball (they could even beat Poland here) but I think if they don't replace the coach after this World Cup, Iran won't even qualify for the Olympics. even with this easy format. remember they sacrificed the Asian Championship for this. they are here in full force, but still suck big time.

• the current team is even weaker than 2009-2010 teams. no fighting spirit, very predictable, players don't even listen to Kovac. Mahmoudi's injury also made things worse. I doubt they even can beat Japan or Egypt.

This is what annoys me the most about this team. Nobody is paying attention to Kovac, some players have this smug face like they are too cool to care, generally speaking a horrible attitude of arrogance and superiority, and as soon as they start losing everybody starts yelling at each other and making frustration gestures left and right.

They need a coach that beats some discipline and humility back into them, but I really don't know how many great coaches are unemployed right now. Just a few months before olympics as well?

Ok, you can have Berruto, his current job is football match commentator :call:

He will also bring Travica with him! :lol:

• One between Russia, France and Italy wins the European qualification......

What about Serbia? Germany with home advantage? There will be knock-out matches from semi-final and a lot of things can happen there. I don't know if it is theoratically possible, but what happens if the three teams you mentioned end up in one group? I wouldn't be sure about anything what might happen on european qualifier :teach:

• What about Serbia? Germany with home advantage? There will be knock-out matches from semi-final and a lot of things can happen there. I don't know if it is theoratically possible, but what happens if the three teams you mentioned end up in one group? I wouldn't be sure about anything what might happen on european qualifier :teach:

That tournament will shed A LOT of tears, especially if some BIG team doesn't make it to Rio... and this time not even the FIVB will be able to change the rules to save them.

• That's exactly what I'm talking about, he just lost control on the team. and you are right about the players, I used to like this team but not anymore because of their attitude :thumbdown:

Kovac is a nice guy (even though very slow in making decisions as a coach) but they need a more disciplined coach who doesn't tolerate shit.

Berruto ? lol no I don't think so, but maybe another Italian coach, the problem is I don't know who ! Alekno is my own pick :D they will be afraid of him to do any wrong.

• Oh dear I finally watched Iran's match against Russia and my opinion got even worse than before.

Kovac is babbling something in intelligible English and the "big" players act like he's not even there. Some walk around minding their own business, some are sitting and looking away. Maybe three or four players on the bench care.

What was it with Alekno?

What the hell is wrong with Marouf? His ego has grown faster than his beard.

• Remaining matches against Top 6 (Match number)
    USA: Poland (9), Russia (10), Argentina (11)
    Poland: USA (9), Japan (10), Italy (11)
    Russia: Italy (9), USA (10), Japan (11)
    Italy: Russia (9), Argentina (10), Poland (11)
    Argentina: Japan (9), Italy (10), USA (11)
    Japan: Argentina (9), Poland (10), Russia (11)

USA should get to 8-0 (Iran match will be difficult)
    Poland should get to 8-0 as well
    Russia should get to 7-1
    Italy should get to 7-1 (Iran will be a tough match)
    Argentina will probably be 6-2
    Japan will probably be 5-3 (lose to Iran)

USA will only having lost 1 set, they've got match points and set point ratio advantages over the teams below them. If they win their next 3 matches (in 4 sets or less), they'll have 24 match points, which would all but eliminate Japan and Argentina.
    Poland's set ratio may kill them if they are tied with Russia or Italy on wins. Not to mention match points
    Russia probably has to beat the USA and Italy to get one of the tickets.
    Italy will have to beat Russia and Poland to get one of the tickets.
    Argentina and Japan have to win out and hope the teams above them trip up and go five sets. Both teams are 7 match points behind the USA, so even if the USA lost twice, they will still behind them on match points.

• Great overview, thank you, Brahmin :thumbup:

USA: Poland (9), Russia (10), Argentina (11)

History repeating? Somehow i would like to see USA in a "do or die" match vs. Argentina..... 8)

• It's a bit unfortunate for the Iranian team vs Russia yesterday. They had countless chances to win sets 1 & 2. In set 1, Iran played very well both in reception and attack. However, it's just one serve rotation from Muserskiy (from 15:18 to 22:18) that turned the match around. In set 2, Iran stayed head to head with Russia till the 2nd TTO. However, Iran spoiled so many chances to take the lead instead. I think they spoiled at least 4 good chances in counter-attack. Marouf didn't have a good game. He made so many imprecise sets, leading to direct attack faults that demolished the team morale a lot. Iran doesn't have a very well-balanced team. In order to get a chance to beat the strongest teams, Marouf as the star player needs to function well. Unfortunately, he looks to be very emotional and in lack of confidence against the tall opponent.

Albeit an impressive performance at WCH 2014, their 6th place finish is a very appropriate indicator of the Iranian team's relative strength to the top teams in the world. They're a good team, but they clearly don't have enough quality players to march further. Mental strength of the team is another issue, and it may take several years to build, with the introduction of more youthful talents.

• On a set-ball in the first set, Iranian OH hits a block-out from four and lands himself into the net. The Ref gives a point to Iran, which is challenged by Alekno. The replay shows that the OH (young player, main receiver, shirt number 2) was indeed in the net but the Canadian assistant referee Taras Ilkiw (ethnic Ukrainian, укр Тарас Iлькiв) decides that there was no touch. After a short debate the match resumes and three minutes afterwards Muserskiy hits a winner off the Iranian defender and steps into the net in a similar fashion. Luckily for Russia, the main Ref was fairly balanced in that episode. I guess that was the point of Alekno's discussion with the Iranian team and Marouf in particular. I have however read a different version of the events: some people say, Alekno has doubled the cash offer to Marouf for f*cking up a couple of sets in the decisive moments of sets 2 and 3 :).

FWIW, Ilkiw made two "mistakes" like that in the first set. Just wondering whether the mighty KGB Russia will bother filing a report. It all ended well but in a tougher game the cost would be higher. Ilkiw's little secret holy war against the Empire of Evil is certainly very impressive.

• I have to say that Kubiak is even bigger clown than I've ever expected from him but it's helping

Good to hear that I am not alone with this kind of opinion about Kubiak. He is good player but sometimes really harmful for the team.

By the way I have very weird quesion - last year a lot of players was wearing some king of 'underwear' - a bit longer pants and kind of sleeves. Now I do not remember to see in this season player with this kind of outfit. Also during match match Poland-Venezuela, the 2nd referee ordered to some Venezuelan player take off this sleeve. So my question is - is it forbidden now? 8|

• That tournament will shed A LOT of tears, especially if some BIG team doesn't make it to Rio... and this time not even the FIVB will be able to change the rules to save them.

Let me remind you that it is actually FIVB which is responsible for this European massacre. Graca's plans to expand volleyball's geography included reducing the European quotas in general and now we will have more exotic tournaments with fewer Europeans which, in my opinion, will reduce the overall quality to some extent. So, FIVB doesn't act as a saviour, but rather as a slaughterer.

I totally agree with you that USA is the strongest team out there right now. One can usually measure how strong they are by the way they start a tournament. They are always well-prepared and when they have a good generation like this one, which hasn't always been the case, USA can win any tournament, which they haven't always achieved. However, USA started the WCH last year very impressively, too, and we all know what happened afterwards. You had right to mention the story from Poland. Being the only team to defeat the future world champions, USA were in full control to make it to the medal games and lost to a motivated Argentinian side that had no chances to reach the semis. Brahmin's review shows their programme in the last stage, they can surely drop points when it would matter the most. Although I have to say that Argentina hasn't really been impressive in Japan now, but you never know how they can play on a given day.

Also, you guys mentioned Japan and Argentina's chances to reach the top 2. I think even their management and players hardly believe this is credible at the World Cup. Argentina should have no trouble in the South American qualifiers, whereas Japan need to do better against the other Asian teams at the additional world tournament. The Japanese have the skills, but we would see in what condition the Iranians and the Australians will arrive then, because both of these teams are disappointing now.

Talking about the world qualifiers, a US team finishing in one of the 2 top places means that Canada will most probably get a ticket to Rio as well. And they will have to be far more impressive next year.

• Absolutely, and this is something the FIVB should be ashamed about forever. Brazil is getting a cakewalk to the gold medal AND some big team will not be going to Rio because of it. All of my best wishes to European teams, but I think it's inevitable that some big ones will not qualify. Imagine the Olympic games without Russia, or without Italy, it's not such a remote possibility at all. You fail the European qualification tournament (where fail means losing the semifinal and the 3rd place final) and everything is over. But there will be two African teams and maybe two or three South Americans. Great job!

Someone here on the forums has posted that the FIVB receives the majority of its money from tv rights paid by Poland, Italy, Japan and Russia. What's going to happen if one or more of these teams are not at the games?