2015 World Cup - Japan - 9/8

• Well, as I wrote, I think that Egypt, Puerto Rico and Australia at Rio instead of Germany, Bulgaria, Russia (or Italy, Serbia, France, who knows?) is not meritocratic. For FIVB geography is more important of worth? Ok, in my humble opinion that's unfair. I hope I can say that without be accused of too much complaints

Sir, do you know, by chance, the meaning of the five olympic rings? ;) The olympics aren't supposed to be meritocratic (at least not in the primary sense), it's about being democratic, to have participation from all the regions of the world. To have 14 european teams we already have the World Championship.

For me 7 euro teams out of 12 like in London was obsene. I welcome this changes in qualification format, but the only thing they did bad was the last qualifier tournament, if they had just added that quota to the asian/world qualifier, it would have been perfect and I wouldn't be complaining.

• Sir, do you know, by chance, the meaning of the five olympic rings? ;) The olympics aren't supposed to be meritocratic (at least not in the primary sense), it's about being democratic, to have participation from all the regions of the world. To have 14 european teams we already have the World Championship.

For me 7 euro teams out of 12 like in London was obsene. I welcome this changes in qualification format, but the only thing they did bad was the last qualifier tournament, if they had just added that quota to the asian/world qualifier, it would have been perfect and I wouldn't be complaining.

I totally agree, indeed I said in the post above (I suggest you to control) that the right formula should be 16 teams (with 2 or 4 pools, it doesn't matter).

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• I totally agree, indeed I said in the post above (I suggest you to control) that the right formula should be 16 teams (with 2 or 4 pools, it doesn't matter).

You mean the olympic tournament? That will never happen because IOC stablishes a max quota of athletes for each sport. Football (Men) is the only team sport which is allowed 16 teams, all other team sports have 12 max.

• You mean the olympic tournament? That will never happen because IOC stablishes a max quota of athletes for each sport. Football (Men) is the only team sport which is allowed 16 teams, all other team sports have 12 max.

Of course I know, in basketball we have the same problem for example. We have to change, you said that this will never happen. Well, time flows... We will see

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• You mean the olympic tournament? That will never happen because IOC stablishes a max quota of athletes for each sport. Football (Men) is the only team sport which is allowed 16 teams, all other team sports have 12 max.

Of course I know, in basketball we have the same problem for example. We have to change, you said that this will never happen. Well, time flows... We will see

I don't think IOC want to add maximum places for any sports. There are many sports wait for join the Olympics. Women's water polo still have only 8 teams and no QF for hockey. Is it unfair for other sports?

• I don't think IOC want to add maximum places for any sports. There are many sports wait for join the Olympics. Women's water polo still have only 8 teams and no QF for hockey. Is it unfair for other sports?

It depends, there are some sports which are popular only in about 10 countries all around the world. For example, waterpolo? It's quite popular only here in Italy, Spain, Greece, Balkan countries and some other countries, so maybe it's ok 10 teams for it. We have to analyze every single situations for every single sports. There isn't a general rule about imho

• Sir, do you know, by chance, the meaning of the five olympic rings? The olympics aren't supposed to be meritocratic (at least not in the primary sense), it's about being democratic, to have participation from all the regions of the world. To have 14 european teams we already have the World Championship.

Sport by definition is competition, the best teams should get there and best of the best should win. All else makes no sense. It is not sport per se.

• It depends, there are some sports which are popular only in about 10 countries all around the world. For example, waterpolo? It's quite popular only here in Italy, Spain, Greece, Balkan countries and some other countries, so maybe it's ok 10 teams for it. We have to analyze every single situations for every single sports. There isn't a general rule about imho

The Olympics is multi-sport event, isn't it? We have to analyze only single sports in multi-sport event?

And, Yes, you can see popularity is a reason. Olympics in South America will be more popular by more south american teams, maybe Americas, won't it?

• Sport by definition is competition, the best teams should get there and best of the best should win. All else makes no sense. It is not sport per se.

Those are your personal views, not those of de Coubertin or the olympic movement.

That is what essentially differs between olympics and any other sport world championship. I insist, the place to have the very best of the best and be elitist is the world championship, olympics is another thing and pursues different ideals.

• I mean, I get that 4 european teams is too few, but 6, 7 like you want is obsene for a sport that is relatively well spread around the world like Volleyball (this ain't no Handball after all). And I think you euro guys are thinking too selfishly here.

Let's be reasonable, if you can't even be top 5 of your continent, then bad luck mate.

• selfishly

Why? I'm talking about extensions rankings for us Europeans because most of the best volleyball players and teams in the world are here, I'm not talking about exclusions. For you there aren't changes.

Noncommittal. I only said that if a sport is not so much practiced worldwide (just like waterpolol), 8 or 10 teams may be ok, but this is not the case about Volleyball or Basketball, so at least 16 teams should be fairer.

• So it will be;
    4 teams from Europe ( 4 of world ranked 2,3,4,6,8,9,12)
    3 teams from Asia :white: (3 of world ranked 11,13,15,19,20) Biggest injustice!!!!!

i don't know where you get this idea. only one will qualify as asia representative.

if any others do, it'll be on their own merit, by beating other teams from europe, north and s. america in the world qual. tournament. for example, KOR women finished 2nd in the world qual. tournament 4 years ago and they qualified that way, not by representing asia.

i agree that only 4 teams from europe is a bit low but you can take it up with fivb, not anyone else.

to me the biggest farce is the last qualifying tournament, between 3rd NORCECA, 3rd CSV and 2 african teams. this the same for men and women. truly stupid.

• So it will be;
    4 teams from Europe ( 4 of world ranked 2,3,4,6,8,9,12)
    3 teams from Asia :white: (3 of world ranked 11,13,15,19,20) Biggest injustice!!!!!
    2 teams from South America (Brazil plus one of world ranked 7,22,23)
    3 teams from Norceca :white: :down: (3 of world ranked 5,10 (Cuba) ,14,22) It is a pseudo ranking for Cuba.
    It should be 6-2-2-2

as i pointed out above, your estimation is erroneous, but i guess an olympic tournament without an african team is ok for you.

• basing on teams' level and thinking about whole world, fair spots' breakdown would be:
    - 5 for CEV: Poland/Russia/France/Italy/Germany/Serbia/Bulgaria (top 5 from these)
    - 2 for CSV: Brazil, Argentina
    - 2 for NORCECA: USA, Canada (Cuba disappeared)
    - 2 for AVC: Iran, Australia/Japan
    - 1 for CAVB: Egypt/Tunisia/Cameroon (best of them)

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• basing on teams' level and thinking about whole world, fair spots' breakdown would be:
    - 5 for CEV: Poland/Russia/France/Italy/Germany/Serbia/Bulgaria (top 5 from these)
    - 2 for CSV: Brazil, Argentina
    - 2 for NORCECA: USA, Canada (Cuba disappeared)
    - 2 for AVC: Iran, Australia/Japan
    - 1 for CAVB: Egypt/Tunisia/Cameroon (best of them)

i was gonna say something similar to what you said above. the only thing that is truly a farce is that we'll probably have VEN win the last qual. tournament and will be at the olympics, instead of RUS, ITA, BUL or SER.

i truly hope FRA wins the euro qual.

• lol, the Olympic Games has been trying reducing its size for years, so don't expect to have 16 or more teams, and don't expect to have 14 players per team. It's called Olympic Games not European Games, if teams can't partecipate the OG just because they're weak or should I say, not as strong as European teams, that would be against the Olympic spirits. Moreover, there is a competiton called World Championships, where more than 7 European teams will play. So yes, you can have your own opinion, just unfortunately, an embrassing one.

• There should be best team from each of the 5 continents, and then the next 7 best should be playing. So what if 6 or 7 of those next best are European teams.. they would DESERVE it.