Russian NT 2015

• I was really impressed by Pasynkova's performance during WGP Final Round, I hope she continues that form to WC. She would be my pick for OH2 position, if only for her serves! I think this is Russia's best lineup/rotation for WC:

Pasynkova-Orlova*Fetisova-Goncharova
    Kosianenko-Lyubushkina*Shlyakhovaya-Kosheleva

Pasynkova/Kosheleva are one of the best blockers from Position 4, and of course, Goncharova!
    The glaring problem really during GP was the lack of scoring alternatives but with Kosheleva back (is it confirmed?!), Goncharova would be less pressured and at least they would be less "predictable".
    If only Shlyakhovaya were healthy and ready to play, Russia can at least improve their defense against middle attacks which IMO was their biggest problem, opponents scoring too may points. If not, Zaryazkho would be a good alternate for Lyubushkina as scoring MB but she has not been a really good blocker as far as I can remember.. With that lineup, Orlova/Fetisova would not need to attack really and just focus on the blocking. Lastly, if Malova (and Goncha) continues their great form to WC, and if Kosheleva at least remains stable, I think they can give either US and China a run for their money.

• So the team is alreaady practicing for the WC.

The better thing I got from the GP final round is the determination to return to the 2013 tactics: decent/good passing, plus good block/defense unit.

I agree that Zaryazhko deserved to be in the A team. But I don't think that Shlyakhovaya will be in a bad shape. She didn't play in the GP mainly for precaution, and we need to remember that the few times she performed for Omichka, she played very well.

My other disagreement with Marichev is about the apparent abense of Bavykina. Unfortunately, Ilchenko didn't play well, she only showed her game against China in the 1º round. I believe that with Isaeva (who is already trainning with the team to, probably, replace Malykh) and Bavykina together in the team, Goncha and Kosha could fully rest in at least 5 of the 12 matches of the WC.

I also liked Orlova performance in the GP final round. She's still absent in attack, but she has the potential to do better and, the most important, her block improved a lot. I think her block duo with Goncharova will cause a lot of damage in the WC.

Another hope for future a better performance is the presence of Startseva. Pankova is in the worst phase of a career recently, so my main spectations about Starseva is about a better setting to the position 3, better blocking and better fixing of bad receptions.

Let's wait. I think Russia can get one of the tickets to Rio in the World Cup.

• 16 players in training now:

Setter: Ekaterina Kosianenko, Evgeniya Startseva
    Opposite Hitter: Daria Isaeva, Natalia Malykh, Natalia Obmochaeva
    Middle Blocker: Ekaterina Efimova, Ekaterina Lyubushkina, Ekaterina Orlova, Irina Fetisova, Anastasia Samoilenko (Shlyakhovaya)
    Outside Hitter: Ksenia Ilchenko, Tatiana Kosheleva, Alexandra Pasynkova, Yana Shcherban
    Libero: Victoria Kuzyakina, Anna Malova

No Zaryazhko...no Bavykina...Isaeva is the only B team player who was promoted to A team but I guess only because of Malykh's injury. What a stubborn person Marichev must be :thumbdown:

• Yes, Marichev is showing a quite stubborn attitude.

This is really my main concern: I'm not sure if a Ilchenko/Scherban duo, along with Isaeva, have enough consistency in attack to hold an entire game. My fear is that Kosha and Goncha will be overused. It would be a disaster, particularly because Russia will face USA and China in a row, and they must win at least one of these 2 matches.

• She will probably joined NT for Olympics, and that will be very bad for volleyball. We want new players and Russia has that players :teach:

• It seems unbelievable, but the director of the Russia NT just said that Shlyakhovaya will not be ready to play in the World Cup. And Zaryazhko wasn't called to join the team !!

http://www.rsport.ru/volleyball/20150811/853432156.html

And I also agree about Sokolova. She'll accept an invitation to the Olympics, even if she's in a wheelchair.

It makes wonder who the wingers will be in Rio. Supposing Marichev calls 5 outsiders, my bet is: Gamova, Kosha, Goncha, Sokolova and Pasynkova. Sokolova will be a dead weight, but I hope the other 4 can carry the team on.

• Jeez, That's the consequence of Marichev being extremely adamant, Zarayzhko played so well in team B and Samoylenko not being ready for WC was pretty much expected, I don't understand him at all :aww:

So for MB position we shall see : Orlova, Lyubushkina, Fetisova, E. Efimova

Well, what to say, E. Efimova in but Zaryazhko staying home :P Not too shabby but definitely not the best, Morozova and Samoylenko are missed.

One more thing that I can't get the coach is that Bavykina's absence, she played well in team B, perhaps not great as Zaryazhko but still could be helpful in terms of attacking, Biryuhkova in but Bavykina out, hard to understand.

• And where is Julija Morozova MB ??

• Not informed where she is but I assume she's recovering her injury, on top of that, she didn't have a good season in Moscow, I hope to see her in the upcoming ECH though.

• Liubov Sokolova not joining NT this year.
    http://www.russiavolley.com/72…o-join-the-national-team/

Good call by her, I was hoping that she wouldn't embarrass herself with that horrible shape.

Good, and I don't want her in the Olympics either. It would be unfair for those who worked hard during international season to not get a change because Sokolova's name got her in.

I do agree that the team needs Zarayzhko since Samoylenko is still injured.

• Zaryazhko should be in - she desrved for it, especially when we won't have Samoylenko (Shlyakhovaya) here :whistle:

so roster for WC can be:

S: Startseva, Kosianenko
    OP: Obmochaeva, Isaeva (Malykh out)
    OH: Kosheleva, Pasynkova, Shcherban, Ilchenko
    MB: Lyubushkina, Orlova, Fetisova, Efimova
    L: Malova, Kuzyakina

if they take only 12, then Efimova and Kuzyakina would be out

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Without Shlyakhovaya or Zaryazkho, Russia's biggest problem would be defending middle attacks. This was the only other "enhancement" besides Kosheleva and Startseva joining the team. Speaking of Startseva, I think she will only be backup setter seeing Kosianenko has such great connection with Goncharova, Lyubushkina what do you guys think

• I agree. Besides everything Kosianenko has been working with her teammates through all summer and I don't like Startseva's sets, she's only useful when she has Gamova aside her.

• Katya Efimova just has been released from the roster, things are slowly getting mysterious, some days go it was said that Samoylenko won't be able to play which means only 3 MBs would be listed, but now she is still in the roster. 8|

Now 15 players are training for WC, only one player will be cut, If Nastya doesn't make it, Russia would play with 3 MBs or either injuried Malykh or Dasha Isaeva won't make the cut otherwise...

Setter: Ekaterina Kosianenko, Evgeniya Startseva
    Opposite Hitter: Daria Isaeva, Natalia Malykh, Natalia Obmochaeva
    Middle Blocker: Ekaterina Lyubushkina, Ekaterina Orlova, Irina Fetisova, Anastasia Samoilenko
    Outside Hitter: Ksenia Ilchenko, Tatiana Kosheleva, Alexandra Pasynkova, Yana Shcherban
    Libero: Victoria Kuzyakina, Anna Malova

• Interesting news about the release of E. Efimova, makes me wonder if Marichev heard our prayers :lol: Hey, I'm not expecting Yulia Morozova to join the team anytime soon, but if Shlyakhovaya is not able to play, I hope to see Zaryazkho as her replacement. The state of current Russian MB's:

Lyubushkina - good attacker, weak blocker
    Orlova, Fetisova - weak attacker, good blocker (block duo of Orlova and Goncharova was really efficient in WGP Finals)

I have pointed out many times, defensively speaking, the rotation where Lyubushkina in the front row is Russia's weakest. Shlyakhovaya or even Zaryazkho can help remedy this. With Kosheleva back (and, depending on her current form) i don't think russia needs a scoring MB that much compared in WGP.

How may is allowed in roster for WC? 14? If so,I want to see Isaeva in place of Malykh. It's only a week away looking forward to WC :cheesy:

• Yes, 14 players are allowed. I like Natasha Malykh quite a lot but if she's not 100% healthy and not ready to play properly, Isaeva must be there. WC is a tough tournament, hence no injuried players. Besides her powerful serves can bother the opponents.

I have such a strong feeling that Marichev will take all the girls and Nastya will be staying outside of the bench, just like in WGP. I'm doubtful though, 3 MBs for 11 games is not sufficient at all.

• I have such a strong feeling that Marichev will take all the girls and Nastya will be staying outside of the bench, just like in WGP. I'm doubtful though, 3 MBs for 11 games is not sufficient at all.

You are right, it's just too big of a risk. Do we really know the extent of Nastya's injury? I mean, she has been out in NT for almost a year already, and, it's not like she hasn't played at all in club. I remember back in 2013, Russia had a very good block-defence unit, I hope they return to that.