2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• and THA (not only took RUS and US to 5 sets) but beat AZE 3-1 at the 2018 WCh... so where do these people get this idea that euro 2nd tier teams can beat easily THA and KOR ? or that europe would get 7 spots at the OGs easily if the process wasn't rigged against them?

Im sorry Ossubtus I like you but I'm getting annoyed. What you are referring to was when someone said THA and KOR can easily beat 2nd tier European teams, NOT the other way around. I can speak for myself; I responded saying that, that is not so easy all the time looking at stats.

That's all, I feel like this whole thing is getting outta hand. At the end of the day, I think the vast majority agrees, there is a lot of great teams today in Europe (asia too imo!) and that all continents need to be represented at the OG. It's clear the other differences we should just put to rest, agree to disagree.

• I think this could make things more fair

you do the continental qualifications first (5 spots)

You split the countries that haven't qualified into 2 groups of 8 and take top 3 from each group, or 3 groups of 6 and take top 2. (6 spots)

• Really? I'm all for asian teams but also for fact checking, because last time I checked teams like South Korea and Thailand were struggling and losing vs teams like Bulgaria, Belgium, Germany, Azerbaijan. Which are definitely 2nd tier, even Russia's C team won some matches.

This looking at both recent VNL's and also World Championship 2018. The only team consistent in beating 2nd (and 1st) tier Euros is China and Japan is on the positive side vs 2nd tier also even though it's still not rare for them to lose matches against 2nd tier at all either.

So if they lose so many matches, it doesn't seem like they are beating Euros easily at all, all I'm saying.

Im not sure when South Korea and Thailand face Bulgaria and Azerbaijan in the last 2 years but based on VNL results in 2018 SK was Beaten by Belgium but they were able to take down Russia and Germany. I rest my case with Thailand since they are not performing well in the past 2 years but they can make surprise outings.

My point is SK and Thailand were able to challenge or even shock top Euro teams much more with non top tier teams from that region.

If you can show all the records of the meetings for the past 2 or 3 years disapproving my claim then I will digress.

• lol vnl is like playtime.

edit: LUCRATIVE and SHINY playtime. I wont ever mind my team getting a million dollars by playing shitty squads while getting to travel and play.

Not exactly. VLN can be used by countries that have huge pool to give their next gen a taste of high level volleyball or experiment with different line ups.

• Im not sure when South Korea and Thailand face Bulgaria and Azerbaijan in the last 2 years but based on VNL results in 2018 SK was Beaten by Belgium but they were able to take down Russia and Germany. I rest my case with Thailand since they are not performing well in the past 2 years but they can make surprise outings.

I don’t want to get involved in this ridiculous discussion. Just want to add some stats here.

THA won over Azerbaijan in WCH2018 and won over Bulgaria, Germany, Russia (not team A, I guess), Serbia (also not team A) in VNL2019. They lost to other European countries though.

For the OQ, (and this is just my opinion) there’re regulations in place. Life is unfair. Just follow the damn regulations and move on.

• Depends on what you call as second tier European teams. If you call Japan and China as first tier and Korea-thailand as second tier. Does that mean Italy -serbia as first tier and Russia, Netherlands, Turkey as second tier? That's the ranking of European teams:

https://www.cev.eu/Rankings/Women.aspx

There's no point to compare Finland to Argentina or Korea because Finland is definitely not the second tier team. The discussion is about if Korea-thailand-argentina can beat Turkey-netherlands-poland in the case of a qualification tournament for an Olympic spots and all the RECENT results indicates that Asian and south American second tier teams can't beat European ones. This is not a rocket science, you all know this is true and by bringing up a few games from ancient times doesn't change this comparison

• oh please, can you guarantee that any given day TUR would definitely beat THA? no, honey, you couldn't guarantee that. because in any given day, THA could beat TUR, and vice-versa.

it's not rocket science, but there's lots of BS coming out of some people's mouths. mostly cro's (more like a ton a minute), but others too...

• THA could beat TUR, and vice-versa.

that sounds BS as well:roll:

• Korea, thailand vs netherlands,turkey,poland 's result would be just different by every matches. Asian teams could win and european teams could win. I think european teams are in a slight advantage. But some people here say like the result is definite: european team will win. And the discussion goes to another level: europeans would take all 8 spots if intercontinental qualification has no limitations+SK wouldn't reach top 8 in european championship. This is very biased opinion that can't be proved and some people here thinks it is not right so this discussion keeps being said. Let's just wait how this olympic's result will show us. Also it's only 2 days left before the WADA's decision. Let's have some time.

• Lmao. You got it really wrong. People on here might say that Turkey with A team could challange China but beating? Hell no, even girls/Gio said that.

Okay. I'll accept that. But you guys claimed that turkey's 'possibilities' of challenging to china. But it seems that you guys couldn't accept the possibilities non-european teams challenge to top european teams, or fight a intense battle with second tier european teams. So european-centered.

• Nobody said Turkey was gonna beat China. In fact almost every already assumed they were gonna lose. But some of us said Turkey could certainly challenge everyone else... And they proved that when they took Serbia to a 5th in the ECH final.

• Yes, but before, but this countries are now stronger or on the same level and we can't say the same thing about Korea or Tha... Their level droped.

That is fact, not my wish or that I'm happy because of it. That is fact.

• you should know about BS... :*

you mean like it never happened? THA has beaten RUS, US, CHN, BRA, ITA in the last few years. it's not outlandish or impossible.

Why are you so obsessed with the once in a life matches they have won? Many team once in a while can make surprises against top teams. That's why it is called surprise. But this doesn't mean they are on the same level with these teams. RECENT and OVERALL results show that neither Korea nor Thailand are better than Ned, Tur, Pol

• True and Idk what you guys call slight advantage but f.e.

Turkey won the last 4 matches of THA.

Netherlands won the last 6 matches vs THA.

Poland is 4-1 up vs THA on H2H lately

Russia is 6-1 up vs THA on H2H lately

And KOR is not really doing that much better. Even Japan is rather a draw vs these teams, no dominance from them either. China has clear dominance yes and is on another level compared to anyone else. (+in the world too probably aside from a very few that can challenge them)

And vs GER and BUL which arguably could even be called 3rd tier, their on draw

No one is denying that surprises can and will happen and Asian teams are fully capable of that on our side, but y'all clearly denying the other dominance that's happening.

• korea won the game agaisnt Brasil in the World Cup