2020 Men's Intercontinental Olympics Qualification Tournament

• I think it will be the same as always, beat one big team in the pool and lose in QFs.

Might be, but it still doesn't mean the team isn't strong and doesn't deserve respect. Last time Poland reached semifinals was in 1980 and we aren't calling them weak either.

• Using my ranking system the best team not in right now is France at 2nd (different from FIVB ranking). They win a lot of matches but have let downs at the worst times.

Argentina in my ranking is 10th.

• Using my ranking system the best team not in right now is France at 2nd (different from FIVB ranking). They win a lot of matches but have let downs at the worst times.

Argentina in my ranking is 10th.

Could you public this ranking and say a bit how you count points, please? it’s really interesting.

I know that FIVB plans to change ranking system and before there I would like to see your if I can.

• Could you public this ranking and say a bit how you count points, please? it’s really interesting.

I know that FIVB plans to change ranking system and before there I would like to see your if I can.

Where have you read the news that FIVB has planned to change the ranking system?

• Here:

https://siatka.org/pokaz/miros…sobie-tworzenia-rankingu/

the person who gave interview is Mirosław Przedpełski, ex President of Polish Volleyball Federation, current FIVB vice-president. He said about plan of the new ranking. No decision yet, we will know it at the end of the year.

The only changes can be replace WL/WGP points with VNL points and add continental points back in. That is all that can be done.

Could you public this ranking and say a bit how you count points, please? it’s really interesting.

My system uses a 4 year point count. Points are awarded on the following.

1. Sets won (0 sets won=0 points received, max 3 points here)

2. Points ratio (if win by 25 points or more additional point received, team can lose a little if outscored in a win)

3. International vs. in-continental federation matches (FIVB matches have multiplier as they are more important, strongest confederation 1.75x multiplier, use the average of 2 confederations for the multiplier for both teams, so an African team will lower multiplier with Europe, in-continental matches (continental Champs and qualifiers multiplier is 1.00) are more common with non-FIVB matches

4. Rank of opponent at time of match, 2.01- rank. (anything below 101=1.00)

5. Sliding scale of age of points 2019=100%, 2018=75%, 2017=50%, 2016=25%

In general winning sets is good, out scoring your opponent is good, winning in FIVB matches is good. Winners of FIVB matches usually 8-14 points. Winners of continental matches 3-8 points. Add them up and there is your ranking.

Men TOP 10

BRA, FRA, RUS, USA, POL, ITA, SRB, IRI, CAN, ARG

Women TOP 10

USA, BRA, CHN, ITA, NED, SRB, TUR, JPN, POL, RUS

• WZP - in the interview you have mentioned Przedpelski is referring to the ranging system used to determine the participants of the OQTs that finished two days ago. As you probably remember there was a discussion which tournaments should be taken into consideration. He is not talking about any permanent changes introduced in the future. In a more recent interview, however, he said that it is very likely that for the next olimpic games the continental qualifications will take place before the intercontinental tournaments, which should ensure at least 6 spots for Eurpean teams.

Your ranking system seems to be quite complicated.

• WZP - in the interview you have mentioned Przedpelski is referring to the ranging system used to determine the participants of the OQTs that finished two days ago. As you probably remember there was a discussion which tournaments should be taken into consideration. He is not talking about any permanent changes introduced in the future. In a more recent interview, however, he said that it is very likely that for the next olimpic games the continental qualifications will take place before the intercontinental tournaments, which should ensure at least 6 spots for Eurpean teams.

Will the World Cup resume its status as an OG qualifier?

• But the things is. In this 4 year count, how can France be considered the second best team in the world when they have flopped big time in every major tournament? 9th Olympics and 7th WCH.

How can Usa and Bra be ahead of China and Serbia, when they have not won any major tournaments, while China and Serbia did and finished ahead of them? Brazil did not even reach the semis in both majors.

Did you count VNL-GP matches? Problem here is that only Brazil and USA takes this tournaments seriously. And so did France in the men`s side.

I think this ranking would certainly force every team to take VNL seriously. But I don`t think it would be fair as if they want to save their best for the major tournaments they should be able to do so.

Yes, apologises. In Poland there are thousands of information about volleyball everyday and sometimes it’s hard to remember all.

But I found information and source which informed about testing new ranking rules.

In this new ranking a single matches will be pointed. Old ranking will be lead parallel and after some time FIVB will decide which is better.

Source: https://www.polsatsport.pl/wia…dla-reprezentacji-polski/

• If don’t take the matches seriously, then you lose. You will not get points for the matches played in my system if you lose 3-0. A 3-1 loss is usually 5-7 points difference in my system.

The reason why Brazil on the women’s side is so high is just due the number of international matches they win. They get to the final round often in any FIVB event. Last year’s World Championship was a huge shock with the loss to Germany in 5 in the second round. If they win that match they knock Japan out of the third round.

In the 2018 season basically USA, BRA, SRB, CHN & NED we interchangeable for the top 5 spots. Turkey made a big jump with the VNL last year, but there is still a gap for them to Italy. Italy is still slightly behind Serbia.

For the men France has won a lot of international matches without losing in the VNL, but they lose in the later stages. There is no bonus for later stage wins in my system. You already get a bonus with additional matches played. So France losing 3-1 gets points for playing in the final round.

• I will at least say that my ranking system can tell you how many times I was right based on the ranking. Doing this from lunch and I don’t have my data in front of me.

• By the way, this would be the OG pools assuming the highest ranked remaining teams qualify:

A- Japan, Italy, Poland, Argentina, Iran, Venezuela (replace with Chile if you wish).

B- Brazil, USA, Russia, Canada, France, Egypt.

Only the World Cup could change the rankings. Some teams are close to each other but I don't see any major shifts happening unless some of the big teams go there with their "B" squad. The reason I don't see much change happening is because the teams participating in the world cup are pretty much the same as in 2015, except Brazil who are number 1 anyway, so they can't really climb in the ranking.

• Is it sure ranking systems will be used and there will not be no draw?

• As they should be. How anyone is this dumb in 2019 is beyond me. How hard is it just to not make a racist gesture.

• As they should be. How anyone is this dumb in 2019 is beyond me. How hard is it just to not make a racist gesture.

It's obviously because they don't think it's a racist gesture. There aren't many asians in Argentina, they probably haven't had contact with many of them or know very little about their culture and what would be considered offensive for them. It's different in countries like Canada, the US or western Europe where racism is a very sensitive issue due to the plurality of races/cultures living together. The average citizen in those countries is much more informed about the matter.

And I know Conte played in China, but he could barely communicate with anyone while he was there, so I doubt he had the opportunity to learn anything about racism in asian culture.

• Not to make racist gestures is common sense. Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse for racism