South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• The draw of the 2020/2021 rookie draft just started.

GS Caltex got really lucky as they get the 1st pick in the draft with only a 4% odd.

KGC get 2nd, IBK Altos is 3rd, Expressway Hi-pass is 4th.

It took a long time to decide the order of the final two pick still with Heungkuk getting 5th and Hyundai E&C getting the last pick.

• Surprisingly GS Caltex doesn't pick either of the two players that was predicted to be the top 2 picks and select a setter instead.

Round 1

GS Caltex - KIM Ji-Won [S], Jecheon Girls' H.S.

KGC - LEE Seon-Woo, [OH], Namsung Girls' H.S.

IBK Altos - CHOI Jeong-Min [OH], Hanbom H.S.

Expressway - KIM Jeong-A [OH], Jecheon Girls' H.S.

Heungkuk - PARK Hae-Jin [S], Sunmyung Girls' H.S.

Hyundai E&C - HAN Mi-Reu [Li], Sunmyung Girls' H.S.

• Round 2

Hyundai - PASS

Heungkuk - PASS

Expressway - PASS

IBK Altos - KIM Su-Bin [Li], Gangneung Girls' H.S.

KGC - SEO You-Kyeong [OH], Daejeon Yongsan H.S

GS Caltex - OH Se-Yeon [MB], Jungang Girls' H.S.

Round 3

GS Caltex - PASS

KGC - PASS

IBK Altos - PASS

Expressway - CHONG Hyo-Jin [OP, OH], Ilshin Girls' Comm. H.S.

Heungkuk - PASS

Hyundai E&C - YANG Si-Yeon [MB], Namsung Girls' H.S.

Round 4

Hyundai E&C- PASS

Heungkuk - PASS

Expressway - PASS

IBK Altos - PASS

KGC - PASS

GS Caltex - PASS

Sadly no players was chosen in Round 4.

Trainee Players

Heungkuk - HYEON Mu-Rin [OP, OH, S], Sehwa Girls' H.S.

Hyundai E&C - PARK Ji-Woo [OH], Hanbom H.S.

• I watched that Sunmyung and Hanbom match. #18 for the team with the blue libero hits well. I think I've put it together that she is Jeong-Min Choi and she was taken by IBK.

I thought the level of play was pretty good offensively, a few good blocks were executed, but the overall defense is weak. Good athletic skills but they probably haven't been coached on where to stand and how to read the floor. I'd like to see more but it's so hard for me to learn who is who. Nothing is romanized and even if it were I suffer from Korean Name Block

KIXX picked a setter for their first pick? Hmm. Must be a long game choice. Might work out.

Will any of these draftees play much this season?

• Hi-pass fans are livid lol. The team got screwed out of a top pick. They also missed out on the Lazareva's sweepstake at the foreign draft.

The coach Kim "Team Kill" Jong Min (netizens' nickname not mine lol) was already criticized a lot by passing on Rousseaux for Payne, especially after their performances at the KOVO cup. With Rousseaux, they could have pushed Park Jeong-ah to the right and get a more balanced team. Now they have to overrely on Moon Jung-won in a two-person receiving system with the libero. During the KOVO cup, Kelsie was not in sync with Lee Go-eun (S) and lacked power (I would be much more patient than the fans...).

Then, at the draft, with the 4th pick, they chose Kim Jeong-a, a 171 cm OH... The fans are pissed since Park Hae-jin was still available if you wanted a 177 cm setter. For a defensive option, Han Mi-reu was available, and according to them, even Park Ji-woo would be better if you wanted to convert a left-side into a libero.

• Yeah, his selections has left me scratching my head too. He needs another setter or libero backup more than he needed an OH. And an OH that is 171cm is not going to make the Hi-pass fans feel very confident at all.

About the foreign player draft, I was surprised that both IBK and Hi-pass didn't pick Rousseaux either as she would have ease the burden of reception for both team. econmtl even if Rousseaux had joined Hi-pass, Park Jeong-Ah could still play on the left too alongside her because Moon Jung-Won would be the one playing on the right.

I was quite puzzled that no team pick Park ji-Woo in the 4 rounds. I though she seem like a decent player despite her lack of height too.

• Not sure if you mean the translations of the players or the school name, but man oh man it's tough on both fronts. I only noticed High Schools being added to League players, didn't notice high school players still in school being added (but that may be true too).

Just the romanisation in general. I didn't want to be the source of incorrect information for other.

He is a tip, learn how some of the prominent surnames like Lee 이, Kim 김, Park 박, Jeong/Jung 정 and Han 한 look like in Hangul first.

• He is a tip, learn how some of the prominent surnames like Lee 이, Kim 김, Park 박, Jeong/Jung 정 and Han 한 look like in Hangul first.

I've been looking at Japanese for three years and the only thing I've learned is 山 = 'yama' and it means "mountain" :S I'm really really bad at this. I still use my cheat sheets while watching Japanese matches.

• Hmm... A look at free agency after this season.

Not many big fishes, but practically the entire core of KIXX become FA. Might be difficult to keep everyone as both Kang So-whi and Lee So-young will be looking for their big payday.

If KYK stays, Kim Mi-yeon could want to move elsewhere instead of warming up the bench.

With the COVID situation, it will be interesting to see the effects on the salary cap for next year.

viewimage.php?id=3ab2dd27ebc437aa62bacfb717dd28&no=24b0d769e1d32ca73dec86fa11d02831e11ed4e1ce518c3fae84bbe8619d8e5c10d1ed74a891c28ec2321ad8d6ba347d26881bb9b75c7396ef843bd3ac6eb1148b52be47141b

• KOVO posted interesting all-time regular season stats on their instagram and I decided to translate it to make it easier to look at.

Data from 2005 to the past 2019/2020 season. Regular Season only, no playoffs or KOVO Cup.

Defense in this particular stat = Digs + Receives

e.g. Kim Haeran has over 9,000 digs and around 5,000 receives, total 14,428

KOVO Instagram Source