Japan Women's NT 2021

• did you follow her on Insta? someone said she updated her Insta story that she returned to her hometown a few days ago

Future captain? :whistle:

That's not true. She's going to do a commentary (sort of) on Rivale's red and white match. She's originally from Tokyo so if she did go back ~home people would think she's with the NT

• Future captain? :whistle:

When no one is talking about you, when no one is paying you notice ... that's when you make your move

<3

• sitenoise is this about the it girl thing that Hassan posted lmao. It girls are supposed to be the newer ones, not exactly a sports term but whatever. No one is forgetting that Koga is an ace

I haven't seen anyone say anything about Sarina, nor have I gotten any mumbly good vibes from Nakada. I'm just spreading the love ... and honestly she is really the one I'm excited/anxious/nervous about.

• Really long article so I'm going to cut it down to the important parts

https://hochi.news/articles/20210420-OHT1T51051.html

The starting line-up for the China match is expected to be Nanami Seki (21) as setter, Erika Araki (36) and Haruyo Shimamura (29) as middle blockers, Sarina Koga (24) and Mayu Ishikawa (20) as outside hitters, and Ai Kurogo (22) as opposite.

From the very beginning of his tenure, the coach has been saying that the only way for Japan, with its small stature, to win in the world is to play fast volleyball. In addition to quick attacks from the centre line, they can also incorporate back attacks into their combination play, and spikers can cut in to attack.

In order not to have more than two blocks, the serve-receive has to be returned to the setter with pinpoint accuracy. We need to make as many attacks as possible so that the opponent can't focus on the target. The back-attacks by Koga and Kurogo in the league were very effective.

Miya Sato, 31, seemed to have grabbed a spot in the Tokyo Olympics squad, but she suffered an achilles injury last year and was barely able to play in the League. Seki, Kanami Tashiro (30) and Aki Momii (20) are likely to be on the bench for the match against China, but it is Momii, who has been selected for the first time, that the coach is interested in.

He hopes to use Nagaoka and Momii in a two-player rotation of setter and spiker at key moments. The tempo changes when Nagaoka comes in to replace Kurogo, and it gives the opponents a chance to shake things up. I think it will be a unique weapon for Japan.

• He hopes to use Nagaoka and Momii in a two-player rotation of setter and spiker at key moments. The tempo changes when Nagaoka comes in to replace Kurogo, and it gives the opponents a chance to shake things up. I think it will be a unique weapon for Japan.

All I need is Miyashita-Nagaoka... but this is fine :rose:I hope everyone gives their best :box:

*Tashiro always been the side character :S

• the article didn't mention miyashita? i guess its true that nakada wanted sato to be lead setter but she wasn't able to heal in time

koga+kurogo=main force

momii+nagaoka=southpaw weapon

will they be giving hayashi a chance too? since nagaoka is exempt from serve receive she needs someone to back her up on defense

• If you watch the start of the video from the presscon Nakada mentions Hayashi and Yamada along with Momii etc. so those 2 will most likely also get court time. Hayashi has the same height and build as Shinnabe, but imo she's stronger in attack but also good reception she could be their secret weapon.

• The starting line-up for the China match is expected to be Nanami Seki (21) as setter, Erika Araki (36) and Haruyo Shimamura (29) as middle blockers, Sarina Koga (24) and Mayu Ishikawa (20) as outside hitters, and Ai Kurogo (22) as opposite.

Put it this way: With that lineup and Momii instead of Seki I would feel it's possible they could beat other teams. With Seki it might happen, but I won't feel it until it does

• Put it this way: With that lineup and Momii instead of Seki I would feel it's possible they could beat other teams. With Seki it might happen, but I won't feel it until it does

seki is probably on there because of kurogo and mayu

• Hayashi has the same height and build as Shinnabe

Not directed at you, my friend. You're just the most recent one to mention this Higashi/Shinnabe thing that makes me :what:. It doesn't make sense. They're both 173cm but Hayashi is a twig compared to Risa.

• Risa was a true right-handed slicer from the right. I have never seen Hayashi do that. She played OP-ish in HS like high-schooler OPs do. More like Kurogo (or Nabeya).
    • They are both good receivers but Hayashi is not really any better than ANY of the other OHs in the wide roster. No reason to christen her as some new Risa when what we all mean by that is that she might become some super receiver. There's no reason to think she'll be better than Nabeya, Uchiseto, Koga, Kurogo, or even Mayu. She might, though.
    • Hayashi's got more jump than Risa, and seems to have a wacky good sense of how to block. Risa had some years before my time but I never thought of her as a blocker (was she?)
    • Did we ever see Risa attack from back court? Hayashi's pretty good at it.

We all miss Risa but she had her own unique qualities. Let's let Kotona forge her own path. Let her become someone in 5/10 years we'll say: "who will be the new Hayashi"?

• Phoenix YOLO is the new Risa. Ya'll just don't know it yet :rose:

• Not directed at you, my friend. You're just the most recent one to mention this Higashi/Shinnabe thing that makes me :what:. It doesn't make sense. They're both 173cm but Hayashi is a twig compared to Risa.

• Risa was a true right-handed slicer from the right. I have never seen Hayashi do that. She played OP-ish in HS like high-schooler OPs do. More like Kurogo (or Nabeya).
    • They are both good receivers but Hayashi is not really any better than ANY of the other OHs in the wide roster. No reason to christen her as some new Risa when what we all mean by that is that she might become some super receiver. There's no reason to think she'll be better than Nabeya, Uchiseto, Koga, Kurogo, or even Mayu. She might, though.
    • Hayashi's got more jump than Risa, and seems to have a wacky good sense of how to block. Risa had some years before my time but I never thought of her as a blocker (was she?)
    • Did we ever see Risa attack from back court? Hayashi's pretty good at it.

We all miss Risa but she had her own unique qualities. Let's let Kotona forge her own path. Let her become someone in 5/10 years we'll say: "who will be the new Hayashi"?

I think I was the one who started it? :whistle: The media took it that way so I just basically put it out there. While they are not similar in skills and speciality it does seem like she's the only one good enough to fill Shinnabe's role.

• right now Nagaoka is a big question mark, Ishii/Mayu are best passing options (non-Libero) if Kurogo is at opposite. Koga has height and passing is ok.. Japan does not have many lefty options.