Japan Women's NT 2021

• There's always pressure playing for club or national team. I think for her, playing club has much less pressure than playing for national team. Not much scrutiny when you are performing poorly. You get the hate from club fans vs entire volleyball fans for poor performance. Mutekada needs to bring her confidence back.

lol . I believe Mutekada did try to help her in her Japanese way, but I don't think Japan has the culture of holistically nurturing young players that , say , China does. They teach the fundamentals of volleyball and probably not much more.

Miyashita ... oops, I'm weighing in .... may be like Koga in certain respects. The transition from wunderkid, where you aren't expected to know anything yet beyond playing volleyball, to public adult is a big one, fraught with unknowns and unknown expectations. Neither one of them seem packed with social skills

• lol . I believe Mutekada did try to help her in her Japanese way, but I don't think Japan has the culture of holistically nurturing young players that , say , China does. They teach the fundamentals of volleyball and probably not much more.

Miyashita ... oops, I'm weighing in .... may be like Koga in certain respects. The transition from wunderkid, where you aren't expected to know anything yet beyond playing volleyball, to public adult is a big one, fraught with unknowns and unknown expectations. Neither one of them seem packed with social skills

I just hope Koga gets her confidence back because it is a waste to see a talented player not playing to her level. Another thing I want to see change is media stop hyping up players before they even get a chance to play on the big stage. Too much exposure leads to pressure, which is not a good thing for young prospects. Just let them grow without the distraction. Japanese media does a lot of showcasing from what I have seen.

• just hope Koga gets her confidence back

She's got it back. It's a matter of maintaining it at this point. Japanese players can be fragile, though, and we have to wait and see how it holds up in international competition. I'm glad she wasn't one of the competing "face" players this go round, and the a-word was rarely used that I ever encountered. Thank god for that. I hate that word. She's not going to be a Boskovic. She just needs to do her job and it will benefit the team.

• She's got it back. It's a matter of maintaining it at this point. Japanese players can be fragile, though, and we have to wait and see how it holds up in international competition. I'm glad she wasn't one of the competing "face" players this go round, and the a-word was rarely used that I ever encountered. Thank god for that. I hate that word. She's not going to be a Boskovic. She just needs to do her job and it will benefit the team.

She's the next Saorin.

• There's always pressure playing for club or national team. I think for her, playing club has much less pressure than playing for national team. Not much scrutiny when you are performing poorly. You get the hate from club fans vs entire volleyball fans for poor performance. Mutekada needs to bring her confidence back.

You clearly don't know just how much pressure Kawamoto puts on Haruka which she has been talking about for ages now. He's insufferable and wants perfection out of all their players especially when they have no foreign players playing for the team. Oikawa also talks about it when she first got into the NT wide roster.

• they should stop with the next kimura because that's going to be a rut. if koga proves to be great then she's koga. nobody called kimura the next oriental witch ace

• Having low-self esteem is innate to all athletes but it didn't gobble them up.

Anyway nobody is talking about who's gonna be the ace when the whole team isn't looking too strong. The fact they couldn't score even 1 set to China both in the practice match and the actual match is the larger issue now.

I honestly don't think Miyashita will be called unfortunately. If Sato is rehabilitating well she would be the priority.

• Kurogo not performing as well as expected should be a cause for concern right? it's a bit worrying that she might fall into a slump now starting with the back to back JT travesty. i.e. Hande Baladin performed terribly during the regular season and she got a lot of criticism from fans since she was considered as one of the most promising ones in the NT, but it happens.

If they switch Kurogo back to OH and Shinnabe Jr. gets to take on the OP position will it be effective? Ishii could also work as an OP

• Kurogo not performing as well as expected should be a cause for concern right? it's a bit worrying that she might fall into a slump now starting with the back to back JT travesty. i.e. Hande Baladin performed terribly during the regular season and she got a lot of criticism from fans since she was considered as one of the most promising ones in the NT, but it happens.

If they switch Kurogo back to OH and Shinnabe Jr. gets to take on the OP position will it be effective? Ishii could also work as an OP

ishii has never played as opp, i doubt it will start now. i think mayu played as an op in the 2019 season but again her main issue is height and she's easy to block because her aim isn't as sharp. hayashi seems to be a lot stronger ironically

• Nakada and Araki's postmatch interview. The video in the tweet needs VPN to be viewed lol Japan

The caption translates:

Nakada: "Playing China at a time like this will motivate the players."

Araki: "We will connect the challenges from today's match to future games"

• ishii has never played as opp, i doubt it will start now. i think mayu played as an op in the 2019 season but again her main issue is height and she's easy to block because her aim isn't as sharp. hayashi seems to be a lot stronger ironically

There's all this odd mythology being built up about Shinnabe Hayashi :)

Mayu is taller than Hayashi. Mayu jumps higher and hits the ball harder than Hayashi, especially OOS balls.

• "We will connect the challenges from today's match to future games"

I love that golden standby response to a loss :teach:

• There's all this odd mythology being built up about Shinnabe Hayashi :)

Mayu is taller than Hayashi. Mayu jumps higher and hits the ball harder than Hayashi, especially OOS balls.

but will nakada make mayu play as op? she seems decided on kurogo or hayashinnabe. im surprised hayashi was able to overtake nabeya just like that. nabeya must be too:roll:

• but will nakada make mayu play as op? she seems decided on kurogo or hayashinnabe. im surprised hayashi was able to overtake nabeya just like that. nabeya must be too:roll:

Yoshino could have overtaken Nabeya. She's one of those players that are just there.

• they should stop with the next kimura because that's going to be a rut. if koga proves to be great then she's koga. nobody called kimura the next oriental witch ace

Reminds me of Yuan Xinyue, when she was compared to Zhao Ruirui (for literally no reason other than they're both 1.99m middle blockers) and her response on if she will be the next Zhao Ruirui:

"I want to be the first Yuan Xinyue"

• but will nakada make mayu play as op? she seems decided on kurogo or hayashinnabe. im surprised hayashi was able to overtake nabeya just like that. nabeya must be too:roll:

:rolll: OMG that's one of those things that's so obvious/good I can't believe it didn't enter out conversation earlier :thumbup:

By process of elimination, if there is a secret weapon, it has to be Hayashinnabe at OP. It's the only thing we haven't seen.

I just hope Nagaoka is up to it. I haven't seen Hayashinnabe hit a ball from the right side of the court in years. I think it bums out Kurogo to be stationed there, although she does play that position with Toray. I think she's much better from the left

• Reminds me of Yuan Xinyue, when she was compared to Zhao Ruirui (for literally no reason other than they're both 1.99m middle blockers) and her response on if she will be the next Zhao Ruirui:

"I want to be the first Yuan Xinyue"

it's ridiculous and cancels out their own strengths. i understand that its mostly a term people throw around for the next big thing but it's cringe. imagine if you were kimura and you don't agree with the comparisons. not a dig at koga btw koga is awesome.

lebron didn't have to be called the next mj he's lebron. if the player is strong they're gonna be known for themselves not just as a successor (which doesn't pull through most of the time)

• it's ridiculous and cancels out their own strengths. i understand that its mostly a term people throw around for the next big thing but it's cringe. imagine if you were kimura and you don't agree with the comparisons. not a dig at koga btw koga is awesome.

lebron didn't have to be called the next mj he's lebron. if the player is strong they're gonna be known for themselves not just as a successor (which doesn't pull through most of the time)

Yup. So so cringe. Just say she could be the next superstar -- no one will have an issue with that.