2021 Shaanxi Chinese National Games (female volleyball event)

• 你好

"Lay-how-mah-eee-ahh" is the way people around me where I live say "Ni hao" :S

I was away doing something else, so I missed this interesting discussion...anyway...

yes, the people of Hong Kong and Macao both speak “Hong Kong Cantonese”

but the two places have a slightly different way of spelling. “Leung On Ying” in Hong Kong becomes “Leong On Ing” in Macao. Friends and family will call her “On Yeng” or “Ah Yeng” or “Yeng Yeng”

🙂

• I was away doing something else, so I missed this interesting discussion...anyway...

yes, the people of Hong Kong and Macao both speak “Hong Kong Cantonese”

but the two places have a slightly different way of spelling. “Leung On Ying” in Hong Kong becomes “Leong On Ing” in Macao. Friends and family will call her “On Ying” or “Ah Ying”

🙂

And how much the "Hong Kong Cantonese” differs from let say the Cantonese in Guangdong, or Guangxi, etc in practical usage?

And I think more people in Macau are bilingual speakers of Cantonese and Putonghua (Mandarin) in relative proportion to the size of population cf. HKSAR.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• And how much the "Hong Kong Cantonese” differs from let say the Cantonese in Guangdong, or Guangxi, etc in practical usage?

And I think more people in Macau are bilingual speakers of Cantonese and Putonghua (Mandarin) in relative proportion to the size of population cf. HKSAR.

so, although people in Hong Kong and those living in Guangdong can understand each other, there are subtle differences in terms of pronunciation, usage of certain words, etc. A person who grew up in HK or have spent many years there can pick up these differences.

In recent years learning Mandarin has become popular in both HK and Macao....many people in these two places are also multilingual.

• so, although people in Hong Kong and those living in Guangdong can understand each other, there are subtle differences in terms of pronunciation, usage of certain words, etc. A person who grew up in HK or have spent many years there can pick up these differences.

In recent years learning Mandarin has become popular in both HK and Macao....many people in these two places are also multilingual.

samsara it suddenly occured to me.....the Macao player’s name is 梁安盈 so, that would be Yeng in Cantonese instead of Ying, strictly speaking, and her pet name could be Yeng Yeng 😃

• So, according to Weibo, scores for today’s matches (9 Apr) are as follows:-

(Please note tomorrow 10 April is a rest day)

Liaoning 3:0 Sichuan. 25-15, 25-14, 27-25

Jiangsu. 3:0. Zhejiang. 25-23, 25-8, 25-12

Henan. 3:0. Hebei. 25-17, 25-16, 25-17

Tianjin. 3:1 Shanghai 25-18, 25-18, 21-25, 25-18

Shandong. 3:0 Yunnan. 25-14, 25-13, 28-26

Guangdong. 3:1. Fujian. 24-26, 25-21, 25-16, 25-19

😃

• So, according to Weibo, scores for today’s matches (9 Apr) are as follows:-

Do you know the score of Round 3 Fujian v Yunnan?

• so, although people in Hong Kong and those living in Guangdong can understand each other, there are subtle differences in terms of pronunciation, usage of certain words, etc. A person who grew up in HK or have spent many years there can pick up these differences.

What freaks me out is ... correct me if I'm wrong ... is that the written language is identical? As if an american spelled "Bill Smith" was called "Bill Smith" in Michigan, but "Rear Ditch" in Texas :S

• Gosh, Chinese is difficult to americanise :rolll:

So should I romanize her as On Ing Leong? Or would the An Ying Liang be better understood by English only people?

Whatever is on her jersey. You can give her a nickname like MC Yolo, Macau Yolo.

• And how much the "Hong Kong Cantonese” differs from let say the Cantonese in Guangdong, or Guangxi, etc in practical usage?

Cantonese has few varieties depending on region. HK, Macau, and Guangzhou speaks the standard Cantonese. Western region Cantonese in Guangxi has different accents than standard and it is hard for some people to understand in standard Cantonese speaking areas. The hardest to understand is Taishanese among the Cantonese language/dialects. I think Mandarin was only added to the curriculum when Macau and Hong Kong was transferred back to China.

• What freaks me out is ... correct me if I'm wrong ... is that the written language is identical? As if an american spelled "Bill Smith" was called "Bill Smith" in Michigan, but "Rear Ditch" in Texas :S

Written language is the same. Only difference is if it is written in local Cantonese or standard Chinese. Non Cantonese speakers reading Chinese written in local Cantonese would not make sense of it for local slang terms.

• What freaks me out is ... correct me if I'm wrong ... is that the written language is identical? As if an american spelled "Bill Smith" was called "Bill Smith" in Michigan, but "Rear Ditch" in Texas :S

Traditional Chinese writing is still used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and some overseas Chinese communities, whereas in Mainland China, a set of characters comprising traditional characters and simplified characters have been use for many years...

For instance, the traditional character for ‘China’. is. 中國

and the simplified version is 中国

But yes, your point about Chinese anywhere in China being able to read the characters in their own language or dialect is valid.

• Written language is the same. Only difference is if it is written in local Cantonese or standard Chinese. Non Cantonese speakers reading Chinese written in local Cantonese would not make sense of it for local slang terms.

of course LOLsss.... like if we are unable to or dislike doing something but we are forced to do it ...... we will “DING NGAN SHEUNG” :aww:

• Sorry to keep stanning the Macau team, but someone shared with me a roster page for them -- with Latinized names, bless their little hearts

LEONG On Ieng FTW!

I think someone pointed this out before, but for their "position" when it says 'main attack' is that a MB? "secondary attack" is OH? or is "respond" OH? "free" is libero.

• Sorry to keep stanning the Macau team, but someone shared with me a roster page for them -- with Latinized names, bless their little hearts

LEONG On Ieng FTW!

I think someone pointed this out before, but for their "position" when it says 'main attack' is that a MB? "secondary attack" is OH? or is "respond" OH? "free" is libero.

main attack - OH

secondary attack -MB

respond - OPP

• Setting my alarm for 4:00am tomorrow to watch the Macau / Henan match :super: It better be streamed live and I better actually wake up .

I've added several of the players to volleybox, and after googling them looking for pics, and reading a little bit here and there, I am just head over heals. They can beat Zhu Ting & company. I'm sure of it :dance6:

• I can't find the Macau romanized version of:

#2 Zhang Yinglin 张颖琳 26.01.2001

She's doesn't have a photo on the Macao roster site, but is listed elsewhere:

自由 is libero , so this is probably her:

and:

""Red and Blue C" Zhang Yinglin won two awards for best serve and best defense"

Seems many of these girls also play beach volleyball