Russian NT 2021

• Wasn't his whole ordeal getting banned for a while after being caught under the influence of drugs?

I don’t think he had gotten into any doping trouble? But if it’s other incidents related to drugs it could have happened, I don’t remember what happened exactly.

BTW, I read that Semyshev (despite not being injured) had left the VNL bubble so that Yakovlev could arrive. I’m surprised they didn’t exchange a staff member for Yakovlev instead. I didn’t expect that Semyshev would be the first OH eliminated between Podlesnykh, Bogdan and him, but he had the least playing time out of everyone. Maybe they are going to bring 3 OHs to Tokyo? Or maybe Semyshev is still in contention for a spot, who knows what they are up to.

• I don’t think he had gotten into any doping trouble? But if it’s other incidents related to drugs it could have happened, I don’t remember what happened exactly.

BTW, I read that Semyshev (despite not being injured) had left the VNL bubble so that Yakovlev could arrive. I’m surprised they didn’t exchange a staff member for Yakovlev instead. I didn’t expect that Semyshev would be the first OH eliminated between Podlesnykh, Bogdan and him, but he had the least playing time out of everyone. Maybe they are going to bring 3 OHs to Tokyo? Or maybe Semyshev is still in contention for a spot, who knows what they are up to.

:white::white: that's weird... I was wondering why he wasn't a starter after the match against the USA because he showed there that he's better than Bogdan and Yaroslav.

• That is such a hard pill for any player to swallow, and I assume he left by himself which is so depressing to say the least :gone:

• I have my doubts that eliminating Semyshev is a good idea at this point. Can they really not cope with one less staff member? Maybe they could exchange Yakovlev for one of the other middles but that's not really ideal either. Oh well.

Some Russians wanted to exchange Yakovlev for Sammelvuo :rolll:

• I was wondering why Semyshev and Podlesnikh were not getting much playing time. I kinda feel Podlesnikh is here only because he was a starter again of the eventual Russian champion because if I am not wrong before Covid he was sidelined in NT too - It seems they don't trust him.

Considering only VNL it seems Bogdan has secured the third spot, and as much as I like him I don't think he has shown anything special to achieve that, and he is also more similar to Volkov/Kliuka. A player that can bring something different needs to be in the final cut.

• Some Russians wanted to exchange Yakovlev for Sammelvuo :rolll:

That's not a bad idea either, it's better than exchanging for Semyshev IMO :rolll:

I was wondering why Semyshev and Podlesnikh were not getting much playing time. I kinda feel Podlesnikh is here only because he was a starter again of the eventual Russian champion because if I am not wrong before Covid he was sidelined in NT too - It seems they don't trust him.

Considering only VNL it seems Bogdan has secured the third spot, and as much as I like him I don't think he has shown anything special to achieve that, and he is also more similar to Volkov/Kliuka. A player that can bring something different needs to be in the final cut.

Neither Podlesnykh or Bogdan has impressed much this VNL but Podlesnykh has really underperformed considering his performance in the club season IMO. Not that he was particularly great in NT in the past either, but still.

If Russian NT was really planning to bring only 3 OHs, I would probably choose Semyshev out of him, Podlesnykh and Bogdan though (as much as I like Bogdan too).

• Volvich should go. I'm conflicted with Poletaev. His serve will make or break his chances for the olympics I guess.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Any guess on the Olympic roster so far? I hope Yakovlev made the cut.

Ironically I think the MB is the biggest question mark right now. Yakovlev is recovering from an injury, Muserksiy is not too convincing, Vlasov is good but nothing spectacular, Kurkaev has played very little matches this VNL. I think Volvich is actually tops right now which is absurd.

• I really hope Yakovlev and Kurkaev can both be there but will be impossible.

Yakovlev has his spot to lose depending on his performance after injury, Kurkaev seems ahead of Vlasov after today's game against Serbia

• I think one of the biggest problem that is being overlooked, both Russia's starting OHs, Kliuka and Volkov are greatly under-performing. Volkov has a slight injury, I'm not sure what is happening with Kliuka in general. This makes the third OH sub, equally valuable IMO. Podlesnykh was great when he came in for Volkov today against Serbia. Not to take anything away from Yaroslav, but I think he fits this role as OH sub really well IMO (and not as starter).

• How about Semyshev? Will he be good enough to Tokyo? Or Bogdan?

Russia has the best line up for MBs in NT imo. Yakovlev, Vlasov, Kurkaev, Muserskiyv, and Volvich. Any of these guys can be starter in any of the top team. And Kurkaev MB partner in his club is pretty good, too.

• So for now we have Muserskiy & Yakovlev locked? Or maybe Muserskiy will be moved to Opp. But that will leave Poletaev behind which is sad

I don't think Muserskiy is locked. He won't contribute at the MB position -- Russia has better players at this position. He will compete with Poletaev for the backup OPP position, will is far from a conclusion.

Iakovlev, Kurkaev and Volvich should be the best MB selection for Russia now. The destructive blocking of Vlasov throughout the match vs France is an honest revelation of his vulnerability.

• I don't think Muserskiy is locked. He won't contribute at the MB position -- Russia has better players at this position. He will compete with Poletaev for the backup OPP position, will is far from a conclusion.

Iakovlev, Kurkaev and Volvich should be the best MB selection for Russia now. The destructive blocking of Vlasov throughout the match vs France is an honest revelation of his vulnerability.

I think Muserskiy is going to Tokyo somehow. He is just too valuable for the team. Has Mikhaylov receive serve before? Maybe they can push him to the outside to fix the OH issue 😂

• I think Muserskiy is going to Tokyo somehow. He is just too valuable for the team. Has Mikhaylov receive serve before? Maybe they can push him to the outside to fix the OH issue 😂

Maxim has played as OH in Kazan '19 season, but he is not really effective at this role, compared to someone like Anderson who can play both OH/Opp positions on a high level. Podlesnykh > Mikhaylov in the OH position so putting Maxim in this position is a waste as he is clearly Russia's best Opp by a long shot.. Russia has to cut one of Muserkiy/Poletaev and that is not in Poletaev's favor.