China NT 2022

• thank you for sharing! The stadium looks a little empty from the photo

I watched live thru VBW TV, the stadium is full of Chinese spectators/supporters, esp. the match against Japan this evening.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Is she with the team in Netherlands? There was a female figure wearing a mask next to Gong, Ni Feifan, and Yu Jiarui in the crowd. I couldn't tell if it was her or Li Shan (who followed the team during VNL).

Yes, Lai Yawen is coming with the team in this WCH in Netherlands. Even though she wore mask, she's recognized.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Libero's dont get much credit, but WMJ was such a blessing today. :heart: Had she not returned and China had Wang Weiyi instead we would've been swept easily by Japan.

• 3-0?? Who would have ever thought?! :mirror::win:

Those who don't follow closely the NT development lately (post-Tokyo cycle), not read all the posts in this thread either... thought a 3-0 victory against Japan in a major tournament like WCH (unlike the VNL which might have many upsets) was quite attainable, not really a big surprise. I am one of them, today while watching live CN-JP, I just accepted the victory as something quite normal. The best form of CN NT should be able to beat the best form of JP NT... and a 3-0 victory is not truly shocking.

• Those who don't follow closely the NT development lately (post-Tokyo cycle), not read all the posts in this thread either... thought a 3-0 victory against Japan in a major tournament like WCH (unlike the VNL which might have many upsets) was quite attainable, not really a big surprise. I am one of them, today while watching live CN-JP, I just accepted the victory as something quite normal. The best form of CN NT should be able to beat the best form of JP NT... and a 3-0 victory is not truly shocking.

I knew it was attainable, but it was far from a foregone conclusion unlike say from 2019 or 2020.

• Well, btw another World Championship will kick off tomorrow in Chengdu -- Table Tennis World TEAM Championship

2022 ITTF World Team Championships Finals: 30 September - 9 October 2022

https://worldtabletennis.com/home

WHERE TO WATCH

When play gets underway you will be able to catch your favourite teams live on TABLE 1 at WorldTableTennis.com or on the WTT App, while TABLE 1 - 6 can be found on WTT's YouTube Channel._

https://worldtabletennis.com/description?artId=1802

https://worldtabletennis.com/livevideo

https://www.youtube.com/WTTGlobal

Just enjoy while these sports are being staged... happy watching :drink:

• I'm liking our medal chances

• Semi-Finals

The FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 Semi-Finals will all take place on Friday, September 30.

CAN v USA - 17:00 Local Time (07:00 GMT)

AUS v CHN - 19:30 Local Time (09:30 GMT)

https://www.fiba.basketball/wo…tball-world-cup-in-sydney

• I don't have a source, but ... lol

Japan NT head coach Masayoshi MANABE and also Japanese media attributed Japan's 0-3 defeat to China to the height discrepancy as well as strength of the players. The average height of the Chinese team is 1.91m while Japan has 1.77m, thus 14cm shorter. The height disadvantage causes Japan to be beaten by China again and again.

Well, Japanese team needs to nurture taller players to solve this lingering problem, otherwise they have hardly any chance to beat the Chinese team in any event that truly matters. The last time such victory of significance by JP over CN happened in the 2012 London OG, won in QF in 5 sets by 2-point margin in the last set.

So, good luck Japan!

• once we have a useable OH, the team has options. now it’s all about whether WYL can perform at a decent international level.

I’m not convinced she can. She doesn’t have a good reach, no variation and cannot manage poor setting. How many times have we seen her hit the ball straight into waiting hands ? It’s like no one told her about angles or tipping over or touch out by the blockers...I doubt she even sees anything else other than just hitting the ball blindly. Vs Japan, the blockers were smaller and their attention were directed more towards LYY, Gong and the MBs....the real test will come when they meet teams like Brazil, Italy, USA, Serbia etc, which have bigger blockers.

The player who made the difference is Wang MJ.....and LYY, Gong and the much improved MBs contributed. WYL? The team could have been even stronger with another, more deserving OH.