Korean Women's NT 2022

• did KVF actually ask KYK to return to the national team?

Yes they did.

But she rejected it saying that this process (of losing & growing) is one the younger players will have to go through sooner or later, even if she returns to the NT now to help out temporarily, they'll have to go through it again when she leaves, so might as well have them go through it sooner.

Side note: She said previously & this time too that her choosing to return to v-league instead of playing overseas is to help the league & younger players... which contradicts what she said above lol - but I digress. Anyway that's just your typical PR statement so that's understandable.

(1 exceptional player in 1 club will only make it a one-man show. Having at least 2-3 good players all on separate teams each will be minimal to 'help' the league)

She said herself she's preparing for retirement so I'm sure her priority has shifted away from volleyball towards other things like the variety broadcasts she'll be appearing on and other aspects of volleyball, so I'm pretty certain she won't be playing in Europe again.

• Also, Korea's U20 team in AVCs lost to Thailand 0-3 2-3 in the semi-finals and got 4th place. Even though they won against Thailand 3-2 during the round robins.

The U20 would have been stronger with Jung Yoonju who is injured and did not participate (she would have been main scorer based on v-league performance). But its still not a good sign for Korea's younger players.

edit: they lost 2-3 to Thailand & 0-3 to Japan previously

• Also, Korea's U20 team in AVCs lost to Thailand 0-3 in the semi-finals and got 4th place. Even though they won against Thailand 3-2 during the round robins.

The U20 would have been stronger with Jung Yoonju who is injured and did not participate (she would have been main scorer based on v-league performance). But its still not a good sign for Korea's younger players.

they lost full set 2-3

• According to this The Spike article, here is the list of the 16 players that Cesar plans to choose for the World Championship training.

Wing Spikers: Park Jeongah, Lee Soyoung, Kang Sohwi, Lee Hanbi, Jeong Jiyun, Pyo Seungju, Lee Sunwoo

Middle Blockers: Lee Dahyeon, Lee Juah, Park Eunjin, Jeong Hoyoung

Setters: Yeum Hyeseon, Ahn Hyejin, Kim Hakyung

Libero: Han Dahye, Kim Yeongyeon

• And they will get mad if you say Kim Heejin is playing really bad.

What if I say that she doesn't deserve the 600 million KRW that's she's gonna be paid next season by playing that bad? :whistle:

Seriously though, that salary is simply ridiculous. IBK is obviously paying her that much because she can bring all these ladies to the stadium, and that's disappointing. :down:

• It looks like Cesar will not be getting a contract renewal offer with all the drama happening. Some k-articles really set Cesar up as the bad guy:down:

Some great additions to the list.. Wonder who Cesar will pick as the starting OH & MB.

I’m really curious about the setter selection. Lavarini and Cesar both prefer Yeum Hyeseon as the main setter.. Her performance during VNL just… + why doesn't Cesar include Dain? I thought she did great last season with Hillstate.

• It seems like the player Cesar selected for NT that made coaches go "Why her? Have you seen her play before?" might've been Kim Hakyung setter..?

In this article Kim Hocheol asked if Cesar really knew about Kim Hakyung and Cesar said he watched videos of her playing...

• I’m really curious about the setter selection. Lavarini and Cesar both prefer Yeum Hyeseon as the main setter.. Her performance during VNL just… + why doesn't Cesar include Dain? I thought she did great last season with Hillstate.

About Dain, some say she's not the type of setter who can control the game and that her success is highly dependent on who the attackers are.

I mean yeah, I kind of get it that Yaasmeen and Yang Hyojin are highly efficient but it's not Dain's fault that her teammates are good. I'd still say give the girl a chance.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how Kim Hakyung performs. She did well under Kim Hocheol's coaching.

As for Yeum Hyeseon, 🤷

She said she can improve though. I'm afraid someone's gonna break their back before that happens :whistle:.

One of the criticisms that the clubs' coaches have for Cesar is that the list includes too many players under rehab. (it's true but he probably ran out of choice)

Another one is that he doesn't spend enough time in Korea and does everything through videos. (until now, this is also true but if he's not contractually bound, what can you do? it's not a secret that he also works at Vakifbank)

• I'll be looking forward to seeing how Kim Hakyung performs.

Well not matter how many setter Cesar bring he tend to use Yeom more:gone:.

Another one is that he doesn't spend enough time in Korea and does everything through videos. (until now, this is also true but if he's not contractually bound, what can you do? it's not a secret that he also works at Vakifbank)

If the google translation is correct, They’re questioning Cesar’s decision to leave the country for vacation instead of delaying it for some day to see the players’ skills directly. I kind of agree with that tbh, it’s better if he can watch and evaluate the players skills directly like the way Lavarini did in 2019 when he flew to Korea to watch the v-league matches b4. (Not criticising him for that since he had been so busy without any proper vacation w VB and NT schedule).

• About Dain, some say she's not the type of setter who can control the game

I'll be looking forward to seeing how Kim Hakyung performs. She did well under Kim Hocheol's coaching.

Let's see if Kim Hakyung will even be used:gone:, because Cesar chose 3 setters and likely only 2 will be brought to WCHs.

Kim Hocheol asked Cesar if he will be bringing her to the WCHs when questioning why he selected her of all players (seems like Hocheol had been using this off season to really train her as a setter), but Cesar could not give him a definitive answer.

Also... which other Korean setter can actually control the game right now lol? We just want decent sets with sufficient height at this point. Dain can do that.

Well not matter how many setter Cesar bring he tend to use Yeom more:gone:.

If the google translation is correct, They’re questioning Cesar’s decision to leave the country for vacation instead of delaying it for some day to see the players’ skills directly. I kind of agree with that tbh, it’s better if he can watch and evaluate the players skills directly like the way Lavarini did in 2019 when he flew to Korea to watch the v-league matches b4. (Not criticising him for that since he had been so busy without any proper vacation w VB and NT schedule).

He's an easy scapegoat for Koreans to blame the poor performance on.

1. Coach not players (since coaches can be changed but not players *cough* twins)

2. Foreigner

Agree with you, would be better if Cesar stayed but won't criticize him for it since its not an obligation set by KVA and he had been labouring since Vakif won CLs then straight to VNLs.

I still hold my reservations on whether he's a good coach however. Only 3 sets won in 13 losses is very severe, even with the long term in view.

The players are also not entirely new, more than half are veteran NT players.

He may be a great assistant coach in Vakif and under Lavarini, but as a head coach?

Perhaps players are indeed improving under him, but at what pace? Sure they started scored better with quick attacks, but that was only in the last few matches - why not much earlier? It was obvious from the beginning that OH and OPP was not working out.

I believe a Korean coach would have brought better results - but it will be short term. People are expecting that Cesar will bring about long term results (but how long will that take and how certain is it actually?)

I'll reserve my judgements for AVC & WCH results

• And they will get mad if you say Kim Heejin is playing really bad.

My biggest problem with these type of fans is that their motto is... "It's OK! You did your best. That's all that matters. You're trying, that's all that matters.." This type of mentality is too complacent and doesn't encourage their "idol" to take it to the next level. Kim Hee Jin is OUT. She's no longer international potential. There are other younger players to take her place.

• I've been reading a lot on the sentiment in Korea right now about the situation. And the other KOVO coaches are NOT happy with Cesar for their own valid reasons. One of the biggest being that they noticed Cesar hasn't taken the time to attend any events in-person to really see for his own eyes how the players are performing. Instead, Cesar said online viewing is totally fine. There is a pretty clear difference in terms of planning and strategizing but at the same time, I do feel the other coaches do need to trust in Cesar more.

All in all, everyone can agree that TIME is needed. TIME is necessary for the team to regroup, restructure, re-everything. And even Kim said it herself, this terrible loss is what was needed to make change. A clear wake up call.

Change needs to start from the ground up, starting with the Korean volleyball federation.

• 16 names for World Championships announced and thank goodness Kim Hee Jin isn't on the roster (sorry but not sorry) but annoyed that Pyo Seungjoo is on (she's horrible, again.. sorry but not sorry):

△세터/Setter=김하경/Kim Hahyung (IBK기업은행), 안혜진/Ahn Hyejin(GS칼텍스), 염혜선/Yeom Hyesun(KGC인삼공사)

△리베로/Libero=김연견/Kim Yeonkyun(현대건설), 한다혜/Han Dahye(GS칼텍스)

△레프트/Left=강소휘/Kang Sohwi(GS칼텍스), 박정아/Park Jungah(한국도로공사), 이선우/Lee Sunwoo, 이소영/Lee Soyoung(이하 KGC인삼공사), 이한비/Lee Hanbi(페퍼저축은행), 정지윤/Jung Jiyoon(현대건설), 표승주/Pyo Seungjoo(IBK기업은행)

△센터/Center=박은진/Park Eunjin, 정호영/Jung Hoyoung(이하 KGC인삼공사), 이다현/Lee Dahyun(현대건설), 이주아/Lee Juah(흥국생명)

• 16 names for World Championships announced and thank goodness Kim Hee Jin isn't on the roster (sorry but not sorry) but annoyed that Pyo Seungjoo is on (she's horrible, again.. sorry but not sorry):

She will be bench player. There's Kang Sohwi, Park Jeongah, and Jung Jiyoon. My prediction is that KSH and PJA will be the starting OH with JJY as the OPP.