Olympic Qualification Tournaments - Paris 2024

• I do not believe in this team, at least not as much as others. They keep talking about a generation, even though it is just a few promising young players. A win is a win. I hope they will make the best of the tournament and gain as much as experience. I wısh Arda would get some playing time but knowing you know who that is not going to happen. On the other hand, Serbia was awful. I am dumbfounded to see Atana playing.

• NL should just focus on ranking points, trying not to lose their 10th/11th place. Because if you make 26 service errors in one match (vs. 3 aces), you just don't deserve to end top 2 :mad: Hopefully next games will be slightly better

• NL should just focus on ranking points, trying not to lose their 10th/11th place. Because if you make 26 service errors in one match (vs. 3 aces), you just don't deserve to end top 2 :mad: Hopefully next games will be slightly better

NL had a great summer last year but I cannot say the same for this summer. They played their best match against Italy in the quarter finals. that was such a great game. I think besides Nimir, others are limited players and it is coach's responsibility to determine who is at his peak and let him play. I haven't checked their schedule but they probably will up their level in the upcoming days.

• In Xi'an, China, the challenge system is good but the large screen is bad.

Therefore, all of two teams and audience couldn't see the result of the challenge and only the referees could see it.

:aww::aww::aww:

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Is Reggers, the Belgian OPP, the one young, promising player you guys were talking about last year? I think he was recruited by Milan If I recall correctly?.

yes exactly

• When Zhang Jing-yin decided to not play the rest match against Bulguria, the result has been shown.

We don't know whether he is healthy now.

PS:

According to the rumor, it is the same as in January - abdominal muscle strain.

I even think Zhang Jing-yin could go to Russia now!

If his injury were heavier, the ones of Belgorod VC would say many dirty words.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

Edited once, last by tomen ().

• Excluding naturalization of Leal - Honorato-Adriano-Lukas Bergmann as a rotation on OH2 spot is Netherlands-level downfall.

Interesting day 1:

- with Uros probably out of shape due to injury issues, Turkey outplaying Serbia isn't as big upset as it seems on paper, but still great result for Turkey, especially ranking wise (+10 points and #13 spot in a ranking for now),

- Maar and Loeppky played amazingly last season in Serie A, then Loeppky was injured (?) and Canada had awful VNL - now finally they play together so they may compete for a 2nd spot with Argentina, on paper their squad is really docent. The Netherlands is as consistent in outplaying inferior teams as limited in playing those teams that have any bigger upside than them,

- great game by Belgian youngsters (Reggers, Rotty) against Poland, so close to get an upset,

- decent game by Finland against Japan, this core of Finnish juniors (Haapaniemi, Marttila, Zhbankov) is definitely one to remember,

- Japan needs by far better performances from Ishikawa and Nishida if they want to win an OT spot.

• It is still quite funny to me that Turkey, a team played in European League for years and only managed to promote to VNL this summer, is in the race for Olympics through rankings. Yes, It will need a lot of upsets in VNL next summer which will be a really hard task. I mean, I want them to be successfull, however, a team that hasn’t met top level rivals shouldn’t be able to gain points from a second level tournaments that puts them in the race. If we can go to the Olympics from the groups, great. That’s so fair. But what if it wasn’t my country but another one? Would I think it is fair? I am not so sure.

• It is still quite funny to me that Turkey, a team played in European League for years and only managed to promote to VNL this summer, is in the race for Olympics through rankings. Yes, It will need a lot of upsets in VNL next summer which will be a really hard task. I mean, I want them to be successfull, however, a team that hasn’t met top level rivals shouldn’t be able to gain points from a second level tournaments that puts them in the race. If we can go to the Olympics from the groups, great. That’s so fair. But what if it wasn’t my country but another one? Would I think it is fair? I am not so sure.

Well, in this Olympic cycle they were: 10th and 13th at the ECH, 11th at the WCH and 1st/2nd/1st in the European League (so basically 17th/18th in the VNL, but in reality they were easily better than some VNL teams like Bulgaria or China), so I don't think that their ranking is any inflated by being 13th in the world.

What is unfair is that these -35/40 points to Iran/Netherlands can be easily made up by the single tournament, lol, but it was well discussed multiple times at this point. In the previous system when ranking position was based on accumulated amount of points from every competition from the Olympic cycle it looked completely different.

Can't disagree more. Turkey has been more or less around top 12 teams. And they won 3-2 with a lot of top teams like USA, Serbia, Slovenia etc. Playing in European league doesn't bring much points anyways, it is mostly 1-2 points even in case of 3-0. Turkey will need to make a lot of upsets to reach 11th place in the ranking, and if they can make those upsets, who can call this unfair?🙄

• Tbh even as a Dutchie (where for both genders the team is on the chopping block place in ranking) I don't mind if Turkiye (M) or Canada (W) can make up the difference (with VNL as well). Because if they do, it means the team in better form will make it to OG! Imagine they would go on a 3-9 VNL streak or worse and therefore not make it, they wouldn't have had any chances at OG anyway (especially for the men's team with those 30+ players, although for them just fulfilling that Olympic dream might be more important than actually performing well:gone:).

Let's root for some upsets but still teams from top 8 will qualify right now, so that VNL will be as exciting as possible :cheesy:

• To be fair to Canada, Vicentin is the definition of mid. Mofo gave up like 15 points by himself. Legends tell that he's still spiking balls to the stands of Xi'an.

Can't believe his Sudamericano performance deceived me into thinking he got good.

• Well, in this Olympic cycle they were: 10th and 13th at the ECH, 11th at the WCH and 1st/2nd/1st in the European League (so basically 17th/18th in the VNL, but in reality they were easily better than some VNL teams like Bulgaria or China), so I don't think that their ranking is any inflated by being 13th in the world.

What is unfair is that these -35/40 points to Iran/Netherlands can be easily made up by the single tournament, lol, but it was well discussed multiple times at this point. In the previous system when ranking position was based on accumulated amount of points from every competition from the Olympic cycle it looked completely different.

I remember a lot was discussed when the new system was introduced but I do not remember every detail. A team can make it to Olympic Games through qualification tournament and I do not have anything against it. It is fair. Anyway, we will see how they will perform next summer. Maybe playing in a better level make them more competitive and they will up their level.

• Just watched the NL - Mex game, and good to see that they improved their play from yesterday with less stupid errors. We'll have to see how they hold up vs Belgium and Bulgaria though, as those teams will be more competitive due to playing style.

Both Canadian teams making a mess of their group these OQTs by beating higher ranked teams, I'd love to hate it but mad respect to them :flower: