China NT 2023

• the rumor of the roster of VNL 2023 in Week 1:

S - Diao Lin-yu, Xu Xiao-ting

OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Zheng Yi-xin

OH - Li Ying-ying, Zhong Hui, Wang Yun-lu, Du Qing-qing

MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Yang Han-yu, Gao Yi

L - Wang Meng-jie, Ni Fei-fan

If it is true, I have no words to say.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• does this group have a chance against Brazil?

• does this group have a chance against Brazil?

At least, I think, yes!

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Itinerary is to leave for Japan on May 26.

VNL roster will likely be 14-16 players (2 travel tourists :S), similar to last year.

Most of the players haven’t played since CVL in Feb, some like Yuan, even longer. I know they have undergone training, but it’s not the same as actual competition. For other teams, their leagues just ended, or they have played friendlies or they took part in recent tournaments, like Thailand.

Perhaps Cai Bin wants to give us a few surprises.... Which makes me nervous because all we got last year were a few shocks 😬

That said, somehow I feel optimistic this time, I just hope that Zhong Hui gets a chance to play and Gong has fully recovered.

• Most of the players haven’t played since CVL in Feb, some like Yuan, even longer. I know they have undergone training, but it’s not the same as actual competition. For other teams, their leagues just ended, or they have played friendlies or they took part in recent tournaments, like Thailand.

Perhaps Cai Bin wants to give us a few surprises.... Which makes me nervous because all we got last year were a few shocks 😬

That said, somehow I feel optimistic this time, I just hope that Zhong Hui gets a chance to play and Gong has fully recovered.

In fact, Chinese men's NT played so bad against Japanese men's NT by 0-5 on May 19.

They also trained for a long time.

Yu Yuan-tai played better just because in March and April, he played games in Qatar.

We all know the reason.

On May 20, in the front three sets, Chinese men's NT played much better than itself one day ago.

Jiang Chuan (OP), Wang Bin (OH), Wang Dong-chen (MB) even played the best.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• I think no one can forget that when Wang Yizhu was brought in as a replacement last year she just froze...like she saw a ghost 👻 or something.... :aww:

She was so nervous

• Most of the players haven’t played since CVL in Feb, some like Yuan, even longer. I know they have undergone training, but it’s not the same as actual competition. For other teams, their leagues just ended, or they have played friendlies or they took part in recent tournaments, like Thailand.

CVA most definitely needs to extend the season longer. Actual real time gameplay is worth more than doing drills and playing scrimmages with each other. I don't recall the last time China's women's team had a friendly with another NT. CVA is probably scared it might give away their tactics. Lol.

I would like to see the players rotated more, especially the middles. I love Yuan, but if she's not on it then replace her. Same for Diao and which ever OH starts beside LYY. I'm not getting my hopes up since it's Cai Bin.

I predict they make the final round and have an early out in the quarterfinals like last year...

• glad that Jiang Chuan is back. We missed him last year.

• CVA most definitely needs to extend the season longer. Actual real time gameplay is worth more than doing drills and playing scrimmages with each other. I don't recall the last time China's women's team had a friendly with another NT. CVA is probably scared it might give away their tactics. Lol.

I would like to see the players rotated more, especially the middles. I love Yuan, but if she's not on it then replace her. Same for Diao and which ever OH starts beside LYY. I'm not getting my hopes up since it's Cai Bin.

I predict they make the final round and have an early out in the quarterfinals like last year...

CVA should remember that the 2016 olympic team was built by a long domestic season, not these fancy training camps.

Lang Ping sacrificed long-term development for short-term gains just before Tokyo, which while not ideal is understandable, but... why still do that? Paris is still so far away.

Last friendlies I remember was a series of 4 vs USA in 2015 (something called the USA Volleyball Cup, then they invited other teams in other years), vs Brazil right before Rio in 2016, and vs Japan in 2021 to test the stadium.

• Great news :love: I was so impressed by her attack against Shenzhen in the play offs SF, she was hitting fearless like ZCN. Since then it's my agenda to see her in NT.

Is Diao better than Xu though?

• Great news :love: I was so impressed by her attack against Shenzhen in the play offs SF, she was hitting fearless like ZCN. Since then it's my agenda to see her in NT.

Is Diao better than Xu though?

Diao is inconsistent, brilliant in some matches and disappointing in others. Xu is a little more consistent, at least when she is working with her teammates in Shanghai, but it is uncertain how well she can gel with LYY, Yuan and others in the NT.

• Diao is inconsistent, brilliant in some matches and disappointing in others. Xu is a little more consistent, at least when she is working with her teammates in Shanghai, but it is uncertain how well she can gel with LYY, Yuan and others in the NT.

This will be Xu Xiaoting's first test in the A Team. My main concern is that she'll freeze and won't be able to adjust to the international level since she's used to the low level of the Chinese League.

I think she's just filling the spot until Ding Xia is healthy and ready to play.

• This will be Xu Xiaoting's first test in the A Team. My main concern is that she'll freeze and won't be able to adjust to the international level since she's used to the low level of the Chinese League.

I think she's just filling the spot until Ding Xia is healthy and ready to play.

I was thinking about that too....I hope the other, more experienced players will help her to relax and cope. In the longer term perhaps they can look at other setters with potential...

Xie of Shandong or Sun Yan of Jiangsu. Sun is 6’2” and left handed...which is helpful for a surprise second ball attack and she performed well in the recent ‘winners’ national championships.

I’m not too optimistic about Ding getting back to the level she was playing before, although I hope she can.

• I was thinking about that too....I hope the other, more experienced players will help her to relax and cope. In the longer term perhaps they can look at other setters with potential...

Xie of Shandong or Sun Yan of Jiangsu. Sun is 6’2” and left handed...which is helpful for a surprise second ball attack and she performed well in the recent ‘winners’ national championships.

I’m not too optimistic about Ding getting back to the level she was playing before, although I hope she can.

Not really a fan of Sun Yan. She's tall, but her block/defense is weak imo. Xie is creative, but still young and her skills are immature. They're likely training for LA 2028.

If Ding Xia doesn't return then the only best option is Yao Di. At least she's experienced and you don't need to train her like the other young setters. But we all know Cai bin wont call her.

• If you thought Cai Bin was bad, Wu Sheng of China's Men's NT is bringing this for the first week of VNL...

3 Setters

2 Opposites

2 Liberos

5 Middle Blockers

2 Outside Hitters :gone:

• the women's team also only has two outside hitters, one of which is not on the wide roster :gone: