Italian Women's NT 2023

• In my opinion, if Italy doesn`t qualify for the Olympics in September in Poland, then Mazzanti should leave. Failure to achieve any goal this season should be the deciding factor. And it will not change the fact that you can still advance to the Olympics through the ranking in July next year. A new coach in an Olympic year is a big risk but it's better than vegetating with the current staff.

• In my opinion, if Italy doesn`t qualify for the Olympics in September in Poland, then Mazzanti should leave. Failure to achieve any goal this season should be the deciding factor. And it will not change the fact that you can still advance to the Olympics through the ranking in July next year. A new coach in an Olympic year is a big risk but it's better than vegetating with the current staff.

But how can we tackle the tournament with such premises? I mean, it's clear that there's a lot of turmoil in the locker room, the coach has completely lost the control of the situation, technically (Lubian's comment off the air says a lot about it) and humanly too I'm afraid, the team is in a funk. Poland and USA will simply steamroll us and even if this won't be the case the waste of this loop of struggles will affect everyone in the next tournaments. I'm sorry but he has to go now, there's no one left but FIPAV defending him.

Barbolini less than a year after taking over in 2007. won the European Championship and the World Cup. If someone of a similar class takes over the team for one year before the Olympics, they can achieve similar success. In the absence of promotion this year, you will have to play 100% in VNL and this will be an opportunity to harmonize the team and work out the right mechanisms. Perhaps it`s Barbolini who should take over the staff again? There is little time but for example Spaletti also has a few weeks to play in qualifing matches on Euro 2024. Good coach can do it and you need someone like that in volleyball.

• Barbolini less than a year after taking over in 2007. won the European Championship and the World Cup. If someone of a similar class takes over the team for one year before the Olympics, they can achieve similar success. In the absence of promotion this year, you will have to play 100% in VNL and this will be an opportunity to harmonize the team and work out the right mechanisms. Perhaps it`s Barbolini who should take over the staff again? There is little time but for example Spaletti also has a few weeks to play in qualifing matches on Euro 2024. Good coach can do it and you need someone like that in volleyball.

There's no coach in A1 than can take over the side, even on an interim basis, because of that stupid rule that doesn't allow club coaches to train Italy. Considering I don't think there is a will to change it, we're just hopeless and at the mercy of events.

• But how can we tackle the tournament with such premises? I mean, it's clear that there's a lot of turmoil in the locker room, the coach has completely lost the control of the situation, technically (Lubian's comment off the air says a lot about it) and humanly too I'm afraid, the team is in a funk. Poland and USA will simply steamroll us and even if this won't be the case the waste of this loop of struggles will affect everyone in the next tournaments. I'm sorry but he has to go now, there's no one left but FIPAV defending him.

If a good coach comes next season who will rebuild the team advance to the Olympics from the ranking will be sure for 100%. You just have to play 100% VNL like Turkey this year. Mazzanti's tactic to have Orro, Egonu or Pietrini have 2-3 months of vacation and a few weeks of training didn`t work. Search a good coach is key. Then a promotion on Paris in September or in six months doesn't matter.

• There's no coach in A1 than can take over the side, even on an interim basis, because of that stupid rule that doesn't allow club coaches to train Italy. Considering I don't think there is a will to change it, we're just hopeless and at the mercy of events.

If Mazzanti gets fired, I'm pretty sure they would make some extraordinary rule for a replacement. Obviously, it still wouldn't give Italy A-level coach, but I don't think it would've been a problem.

I know what FIPAV president was saying in the past, but I actually think that Mazzanti is done as a coach, but we'll see. You can get mad, win some stuff and pretend to be a visionary, but if you get mad and lose, you're just a fool. What's kind of funny because I believe Italy was really well prepared to this event and if they play consistently with Egonu from the start they would've won this event even without De Gennaro, Bosetti etc.

• If a good coach comes next season who will rebuild the team advance to the Olympics from the ranking will be sure for 100%. You just have to play 100% VNL like Turkey this year. Mazzanti's tactic to have Orro, Egonu or Pietrini have 2-3 months of vacation and a few weeks of training didn`t work. Search a good coach is key. Then a promotion on Paris in September or in six months doesn't matter.

Playing the 2024 VNL at full gas is another problem, because it forces you to be close to your best condition way too early. And don't forget we'll have to play the World Championship qualifier.

I'm with you about having a different coach, but who can realistically be without changing the rule?

• If Mazzanti gets fired, I'm pretty sure they would make some extraordinary rule for a replacement. Obviously, it still wouldn't give Italy A-level coach, but I don't think it would've been a problem.

I know what FIPAV president was saying in the past, but I actually think that Mazzanti is done as a coach, but we'll see. You can get mad, win some stuff and pretend to be a visionary, but if you get mad and lose, you're just a fool. What's kind of funny because I believe Italy was really well prepared to this event and if they play consistently with Egonu from the start they would've won this event even without De Gennaro, Bosetti etc.

100% agree. I also didn't like the expectancy to Antropova's passport. It took too long. Until next year, you can try her in the receiving position but it takes time. Santarelii practiced the variant with Karaktur and Vargas for several months. In the case of Barbolini, it may be a plus that he trains Antropova at the club.

• Playing the 2024 VNL at full gas is another problem, because it forces you to be close to your best condition way too early. And don't forget we'll have to play the World Championship qualifier.

I'm with you about having a different coach, but who can realistically be without changing the rule?

A country with Italy's potential doesn`t need to be in top form to beat Canada or the Dominican Republic and these teams will be the main threat in the fight for promotion from the ranking. If there are no surprises in the qualifiers in this year the top 10 in the ranking + France and an African country should advance. Canada is currently ranked 11th...

• If Mazzanti gets fired, I'm pretty sure they would make some extraordinary rule for a replacement. Obviously, it still wouldn't give Italy A-level coach, but I don't think it would've been a problem.

From what I'm hearing so far (as expected by my side BTW), they're starting to doubt the girls rather than the coach, so I'm not that sold on the Mazzanti is done as a coach.

About the outcome of the event, it was a very uninspiring display and the preparation all too rarely has showed up. That's why I some serious question marks about a possible Italian win, even with Egonu from the beginning. I've seen way too many things that looked weird and badly executed (sets from the OH from the back row, forced plays with the MBs, block-defence system, passing, serving), things that made me think that we really overlooked a lot of details that, quite the opposite, made the fortune of Turkey and to some extent even Netherlands.

A country with Italy's potential doesn`t need to be in top form to beat Canada or the Dominican Republic and these teams will be the main threat in the fight for promotion from the ranking. If there are no surprises in the qualifiers in this year the top 10 in the ranking + France and an African country should advance. Canada is currently ranked 11th...

We'll see, right now I don't have certainties anymore.

• About the outcome of the event, it was a very uninspiring display and the preparation all too rarely has showed up. That's why I some serious question marks about a possible Italian win, even with Egonu from the beginning. I've seen way too many things that looked weird and badly executed (sets from the OH from the back row, forced plays with the MBs, block-defence system, passing, serving), things that made me think that we really overlooked a lot of details that, quite the opposite, made the fortune of Turkey and to some extent even Netherlands.

Well, my point was that in terms of 'personal' disposition of several players, like Pietrini or Danesi, Italy was surprisingly good.

They lacked cohesion and continuity due to Mazzanti personal choices, it's not like you can have cohesion when you have played all tournament long with different lineup than the one you put on a court from 2nd set onwards against Turkey in a crucial game, but they were 2-1 and 20-17 ahead despite his antics and blowing up a 2nd set with Egonu starting on a bench.

That is why I find it very ironic that not only he destroyed his team basically, but also his own good effort since Pietrini played the best volleyball in two years etc. And now everyone wishes he'll be gone.

No disrespect, but Velasco is probably 86yo right now, can't imagine him working with 50yo younger players considering his temperament.

Yeah, I know, he's 'only' 71yo.

• And don't forget we'll have to play the World Championship qualifier.

Serbia already qualified as defending champions, so it's Turkey, Netherlands, and Italy who qualify through CEV.

Also, there is no qualifier, because it's just done by world ranking now

• The situation is, at the same time, worrying and embarrassing...

The team, understood as a group of players, is obviously in total disarray...

Mazzanti, for his part, this time clearly said in the post-match interviews that "I had to get I had a team in hand, and after the World Cup I didn't have it. With the Federation we thought of a strategy which consisted in re-founding the team"...

At this point, therefore, the two things that many thought are clear:

1. the exclusions have no technical or tactical motivation, but only "disciplinary": Mazzanti excluded the players who he could not or "control" or who, in any case, were obstacle to his leadership on the team. It is clear that, if Antropova's passport had arrived a month early, he would have totally excluded Egonu as well...
    2. the Italian federation (FIPAV), especially in the figure of its president Manfredi, shares and endorses Mazzanti's vision, which therefore enjoys the full trust of the national leaders...

In this bleak picture I believe that seeing a way out is absolutely a mirage...

I really don't know what to say...

I am very, very disappointed and discouraged...

• That's the point I'm trying to make: I don't think our team is poor talent wise, yet we managed to made it look like it's poor somehow. And the game against Turkey is there to testify that: you don't live at 15 and 17 the European Champions if you don't have a bit of talent.

Serbia already qualified as defending champions, so it's Turkey, Netherlands, and Italy who qualify through CEV.

Also, there is no qualifier, because it's just done by world ranking now

You're right, I forgot about that.

Who do you think would be better options for today: Barbolini or Velasco? Or maybe someone else?

Velasco is a legend, but he hasn't coached a team since 2019 and he hasn't been involved in women's volleyball since 1998. We're not a broke team like Busto Arsizio, so it's not a gamble I'm willing to take. Barbolini has run its course with the NT and I don't think he's interested in a comeback either.

Hypothetically I wouldn't mind Bregoli, but from what I've known he left his position after some beef with Mazzanti and FIPAV.

• I'd like to share what Marco Fantasia (Raisport commentator, very competent and clear although sometimes his love for team Italy has the best of his impartial comment, but hands down one of the best) said: "We are the only country/federation that, when there is a problem within the team, chooses to prioritize the coach instead of the players"

That is Italy rn in a nutshell

• Velasco is a legend, but he hasn't coached a team since 2019 and he hasn't been involved in women's volleyball since 1998. We're not a broke team like Busto Arsizio, so it's not a gamble I'm willing to take. Barbolini has run its course with the NT and I don't think he's interested in a comeback either.

Hypothetically I wouldn't mind Bregoli, but from what I've known he left his position after some beef with Mazzanti and FIPAV.

I don't think any of the names you are giving can be realistic...

Especially Bregoli, who was purged by Mazzanti after the Olympics, precisely because he didn't share his "vision"...

I am truly terrified that in the case of a total failure at the OC, which would make Mazzanti's position indefensible, the only name on which the federation could bet is the unpresentable (at senior/pro level) MENCARELLI...

I really tremble thinking about this possibility...

• I'd like to share what Marco Fantasia (Raisport commentator, very competent and clear although sometimes his love for team Italy has the best of his impartial comment, but hands down one of the best) said: "We are the only country/federation that, when there is a problem within the team, chooses to prioritize the coach instead of the players"

That is Italy rn in a nutshell

The part you mention of the post-match interviews was truly enlightening and embarrassing...

More than Fantasia's (very right) words, it is particularly important to listen to the embarrassment of Giulia Pisani, his commentary partner, and how she didn't want to continue the discussion by dribbling the answer...

Giulia Pisani is in fact a FIPAV employee: she is the Team manager of the national youth teams...