Germany NT 2023

• It's utterly sad that we don't manage to register 30 players that are not injured (Vanjak, Berger) or retired (Leweling, Wezorke) :white:

I'm totally with you there. But I don't understand exactly why you do that. There are certainly not that many volleyball players in Germany, but there are still German players in the first division who could have been provisionally nominated instead of the injured and retired players. Now just throwing in names without them having to make any real sense: Elena Kömmling instead of Pia Leweling, Lena Linke instead of Barbara Wezorke, Josephine Suhr instead of Ivana Vanjak and Lena Kindermann instead of Lara Berger. Everything should actually be position-accurate changes, if I didn't make a mistake.

• Not so much into that, but are those who played/ are playing at the Euro U17 and Wevza U19 tournament really the best German players of those age groups ? Tbh, from what ve seen some of them appear to be kind of absolute beginners.

i dont know germany u19, but in u17 everyone is bad, entire europe beside greece and croatia :lol: and yes, they are beginners because cev messed with age groups

• Not so much into that, but are those who played/ are playing at the Euro U17 and Wevza U19 tournament really the best German players of those age groups ? Tbh, from what ve seen some of them appear to be kind of absolute beginners.

I think the U17 team was pretty much the same as in previous tournaments. In U19, according to DVV there were only 3 players from the team that was 3rd place in ECH last year. For example Emilia Jordan who certainly is the best setter of that age group is not with the team.

Overall I'm also not too familiar with the youth teams, but the results have been terrible for both. Even Grozer doesn't seem to be playing well right now.

• Google gave me previews of some paywalled articles of league clubs that indicate that Luisa Keller, Helena Dornheim, Wiebke Silge, Lydia Stemmler and maybe Klara Single (the preview of that article isn't really helpful) are supposed to play Universiade.

Neuwied has an Insta post from last week showing Single, Stemmler and also Laura Broekstra in training for Universiade and it says the final roster will be announced this week. Of course not a single word about it from DVV :gone:

• It's also difficult for me to assess the extent to which Germany took the WEVZA Cup seriously. The World Cup starts in two weeks. Does Germany give the U19 players, where some have just completed their Abitur, two tournaments in such a short time. I do not think so.

• i dont know germany u19, but in u17 everyone is bad, entire europe beside greece and croatia :lol: and yes, they are beginners because cev messed with age groups

From what I`ve seen I`d say the German U 19 actually is worse than the U 17.

I think the U17 team was pretty much the same as in previous tournaments. In U19, according to DVV there were only 3 players from the team that was 3rd place in ECH last year. For example Emilia Jordan who certainly is the best setter of that age group is not with the team.

Overall I'm also not too familiar with the youth teams, but the results have been terrible for both. Even Grozer doesn't seem to be playing well right now.

Compared to the other teams Grozer is probably the only halfway good player. But very often she seems to be frustrated about her teammates (and her own performance). Really hard to watch...

• Neuwied has an Insta post from last week showing Single, Stemmler and also Laura Broekstra in training for Universiade and it says the final roster will be announced this week. Of course not a single word about it from DVV :gone:

But I have to protect the DVV a bit, even if I don't like doing it. The FISU Games are not really on the screens of many German sports associations and are treated very neglectfully. For example, I only know that Sophie Scheder, Olympic bronze medalist from 2016, takes part in the FISU Games in gymnastics because she made it public herself. As far as I know, there hasn't been an official appointment from the DTB so far. The DLV has also not given any information as to which track and field athletes are taking part in the FISU Games. So in this case, the DVV is in good company in terms of non-communication.

• Neuwied has an Insta post from last week showing Single, Stemmler and also Laura Broekstra in training for Universiade and it says the final roster will be announced this week. Of course not a single word about it from DVV :gone:

I've been looking for information again and I'm on the nomination list for the FISU World University Games Chengdu as of July 11, 2023. The following players are listed there. It should be noted that this is not the final squad.

• Setter: Meghan Barthel, Pia Fernau, Hannah Kohn
    • Opposite: Lena Große Scharmann, Emilia Weske
    • Outside Hitter: Vanessa Agbortabi, Helena Dornheim, Annegret Hölzig, Romy Jatzko, Luisa Keller, Mia Kirchhoff, Pia Leweling
    • Middle Blocker: Laura Broekstra, Anastasia Cekulaev, Alexia Kühl, Lena Linke, Wiebke Silge, Luisa van Clewe
    • Libero: Annie Cesar, Patricia Nestler, Klara Single
    • Coach: Constantin Bitter, Olaf Garbe, Nicki Neubauer

Link: https://www.adh.de/fileadmin/u…inierung-Chengdu_2023.pdf

• It's weird to see Leweling (she's married now and called Pia Konprecht btw) there when she announced retirement after last season :what: However her Instagram still says "professional athlete" and she has a status with Silge in Kienbaum, so she's definitely there :|

Also Lydia Stemmler was in training camp earlier so apparently she wasn't chosen (or forgotten to register?).

I never heard of Alexia Kühl, Google tells me she's a 2 meter tall MB playing in NCAA. avid is she good?

• It's weird to see Leweling (she's married now and called Pia Konprecht btw) there when she announced retirement after last season :what: However her Instagram still says "professional athlete" and she has a status with Silge in Kienbaum, so she's definitely there :|

Also Lydia Stemmler was in training camp earlier so apparently she wasn't chosen (or forgotten to register?).

I never heard of Alexia Kühl, Google tells me she's a 2 meter tall MB playing in NCAA. avid is she good?

ive never heard of her :gone: lol

I also find some nominations interesting. First and foremost that of Alexia Kühl or Alexia Kuehl, as it is more commonly written in the USA. I find it interesting that she was asked if she would play. Her size is probably in her genes because she is the daughter of Alexander Kühl. He was a German national basketball player and is stated to be 218cm tall. Her brother Aliyah, who plays basketball like his father, is also quite tall at 208cm. And of course it's also interesting that Alexia, despite her size, didn't choose basketball, but her mother's sport, i.e. volleyball.

I also find Lena Linke's nomination interesting, because in the list she is listed without a university. That's why the question is to what extent she is even entitled to start there. But that will all be correct, since there are such cases among volleyball and water polo men.

Furthermore, I also find some club information or non-club information interesting in the list. This is how Vanessa Agbortabi Nantes Reze Metropole Volley is stated as a club, although she played in the 2021/22 season. As far as I know, her club for the new season is not yet officially known. On the other hand, Annie Cesar and Hannah Kohn also list rather unusual clubs with TB Bad Krozingen and VfB Ulm, which are probably the first clubs in their careers. And last but not least, Anastasia Cekulaev does not show any club at all, although she is under contract with SC Potsdam.

Regarding Pia, it should be said that there was an article by baden online entitled Ein Highlight zum Karriereende, which was published on July 17th. The article is hidden behind a payment barrier, but participation is discussed there and SC Potsdam also confirms in the article Nominierungen für Leichtathletik-WM und World University Games that Pia and Emilia will represent SC Potsdam in China. The article doesn't say anything about Anastasia, which tells me that she was deleted, which I can only understand, since otherwise she would not be able to play in the European Championships.

• I've been looking for information again and I'm on the nomination list for the FISU World University Games Chengdu as of July 11, 2023. The following players are listed there. It should be noted that this is not the final squad.

• Setter: Meghan Barthel, Pia Fernau, Hannah Kohn
    • Opposite: Lena Große Scharmann, Emilia Weske
    • Outside Hitter: Vanessa Agbortabi, Helena Dornheim, Annegret Hölzig, Romy Jatzko, Luisa Keller, Mia Kirchhoff, Pia Leweling
    • Middle Blocker: Laura Broekstra, Anastasia Cekulaev, Alexia Kühl, Lena Linke, Wiebke Silge, Luisa van Clewe
    • Libero: Annie Cesar, Patricia Nestler, Klara Single
    • Coach: Constantin Bitter, Olaf Garbe, Nicki Neubauer

Link: https://www.adh.de/fileadmin/u…inierung-Chengdu_2023.pdf

Interesting, if I had only looked today, I could have written the official squad right away, because today the nomination list was renewed and many volleyball players were removed and it is no longer there that it is not the final squad. So the squad of Germany is:

• Setter: Pia Fernau, Hannah Kohn
    • Opposite: Emilia Weske
    • Outside Hitter: Vanessa Agbortabi, Annegret Hölzig, Romy Jatzko, Luisa Keller, Pia Leweling
    • Middle Blocker: Alexia Kühl, Wiebke Silge, Luisa van Clewe
    • Libero: Patricia Nestler
  • I have no idea what the long-term effects will be, but I don't expect any impact in the next weeks, neither positive nor negative.

So far they have covered the topic well. The topic was already present before the VNL and a report also quoted Anna Pogany, who just said that this is being ignored. And of course you have to say that it worked very well during the VNL and they could once again get a positive result out of the fire for the DVV. Of course, that should also be the claim for the European Championship.