Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2023/24

• Now there is also an article from MDR. Where about both the damage in the roof and the unconfirmed rumors. So if you're interested, feel free to read the article.

Link: Wegen undichtem Hallendach drohte die Spielabsage bei Volleyball-Europapokal

• From stuttgarter nachrichten

It's never a disadvantage for a sports professional when other clubs show interest - because that automatically increases their own market value. This exact scenario is now paying off for Tijana Boskovic (26). The volleyball player from Serbia has been playing for the Turkish top team Eczacibasi Istanbul since 2015, but she recently received an offer from Vakifbank Istanbul. The city rival is said to have lured her with a salary of two million euros. Nevertheless, the diagonal attacker has now extended her contract with Eczacibasi Istanbul - but her club has to step up its game. In the future, Tijana Boskovic will be the highest-earning volleyball player in the world, reportedly earning 2.5 million euros annually. Which also represents a remarkable cross-connection to Allianz MTV Stuttgart.

The German volleyball champion's annual budget is roughly comparable to the amount that Boskovic will receive next season - around 2.5 million euros. That's why there's no envy in Stuttgart, but those responsible are very comfortable thinking about salary developments in their sport. “Tijana Boskovic has been playing at the highest level for many years. She is the best volleyball player in the world and rightly earns a lot of money. I'm pleased that such numbers are also possible in women's sports," says Kim Renkema, the sports director of Allianz MTV Stuttgart, "but for a club like us, the situation is becoming increasingly difficult."

According to Renkema, prices on the volleyball market have risen significantly. There are mutliple reasons for this. On the one hand, of course, there is inflation in all areas of life, but at the same time there is also the shortage of supply in volleyball. “During the corona pandemic, many players ended their careers,” explains Kim Renkema. In addition, from now on it will no longer be so easy to find strong, motivated and yet cheap female volleyball players in the USA - because a new, interesting professional league is to be established there. “Bringing in reinforcements is becoming more and more expensive for clubs,” says Kim Renkema. “Today we would have to offer a player with Krystal Rivers’ potential four or five times the salary compared to 2018 when we signed her.”

The upheaval that will occur at Allianz MTV Stuttgart at the latest when the three stars Krystal Rivers (29), Roosa Koskelo (32) and Maria Segura Pallerés (31) end their careers is likely to be an exciting thing.

• https://www.maz-online.de/loka…XKMNB3XFKGS2NQ4DAIM4.html behind paywall

Potsdam needs 350.000 euros immediately. Or they have to end the season

No matter what happens. I assume that Potsdam won't play a big role in the Bundesliga next year.

How „kindly“ they are blackmailing the city to pay for their fiscal penalty

• It's a really tough situation. The last thing the league needs is losing more teams, so in some way I understand we still haven't heard anything about punishments for Potsdam and Wiesbaden, but OTOH if they get a free pass it's not fair towards the other clubs.

I'm afraid the level of the league might drop drastically in the next years if the American leagues turn out to be a success. A lot of decent players won't be available for European clubs anymore, teams have to sign mediocre players or rely on youngsters like Neuwied to even have a full roster, only the richer clubs might keep their level more or less by getting good European players.

• It's a really tough situation. The last thing the league needs is losing more teams, so in some way I understand we still haven't heard anything about punishments for Potsdam and Wiesbaden, but OTOH if they get a free pass it's not fair towards the other clubs.

I'm afraid the level of the league might drop drastically in the next years if the American leagues turn out to be a success. A lot of decent players won't be available for European clubs anymore, teams have to sign mediocre players or rely on youngsters like Neuwied to even have a full roster, only the richer clubs might keep their level more or less by getting good European players.

Would be a great moment to implement a salary cap. 😉

• I think the Volleyball Bundesliga has to become a semi-professional league. Clubs that don't have the money have to bring in players who work part-time. This is how it works in the women's handball Bundesliga in Germany. Only 3-4 clubs there have a whole squad full of professionals.

• The league needs a good product to sell. And the essential element is competition. There will be no positive effect having 12-14 teams in the league and 8-10 have only semi amateur level. The top teams - who are the ones who control the league one the most part - need to acknowledge that they need healthy and competitive opponents to fill their venues.

• I'm afraid the level of the league might drop drastically in the next years if the American leagues turn out to be a success. A lot of decent players won't be available for European clubs anymore, teams have to sign mediocre players or rely on youngsters like Neuwied to even have a full roster, only the richer clubs might keep their level more or less by getting good European players.

Currently in the USA there is still a lot of focus on American players. But at some point they might want the top European players there too. I could imagine that players like Egonu or Boskovic will also play there in the future. At least the future generation

• The league needs a good product to sell. And the essential element is competition. There will be no positive effect having 12-14 teams in the league and 8-10 have only semi amateur level. The top teams - who are the ones who control the league one the most part - need to acknowledge that they need healthy and competitive opponents to fill their venues.

In the men's volleyball Bundesliga it is now semi-professional. Teams like Bitterfeld-Wolfen have a lower budget than Neuwied

• In the men's volleyball Bundesliga it is now semi-professional. Teams like Bitterfeld-Wolfen have a lower budget than Neuwied

They have five foreign players. Do they also have another job? Probably only some of the German players are working part time for the club.

I believe most of the players in the first league are professional.

• The top teams - who are the ones who control the league one the most part - need to acknowledge that they need healthy and competitive opponents to fill their venues.

They acknowledge that. For example, there is the same TV money for every Bundesliga club. Even for Suhl who refuse to play home games on Sport1. Or Neuwied, which almost never appears on television. Stuttgart, Schwerin, Dresden could easily demand a lot more money for it. But they don't do that.

• Tomorrow's TV match will be great.:gone:

Dresden will play without 4 key players. Frohling and Straube are both out for 4 to 6 weeks. Aleks Jegdic still has some issues from her infection and Janiska has muscular problems. Both won't play either.

:white: