2023 Asian Women’s Volleyball Championship (30 August - 6 September, 2023)

• The 22nd Asian Women’s Volleyball Championship will be held in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand from 30 August -6 September 2023. Fourteen teams will participate in this year’s tournament. There will be 4 pools for the preliminary stage with the top 2 teams of each pool advancing to the quarterfinals knockout stage.

The powerhouses of Asian women’s volleyball, China, Korea, Japan and Thailand are not expected to send their top teams to this tournament as it is too close to the Paris Olympics Qualifying Tournament (16-24 September). This presents an opportunity for other teams to achieve a podium finish.

The Teams and Pools

Wikipedia

AVC

• The team of Chinese NT will be Team B.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• 2023 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship

My bad, unable to locate the relevant link at the AVC website for this particular event 🙄 🤔

https://asianvolleyball.net/new/2023-volleyball-competition/

So only from Wiki page:

Seeded Teams - Pot 1

Thailand (Hosts)

Japan (1)

South Korea (3)

China (4)

Kazakhstan (5)

Chinese Taipei (6)

Iran (7)

Australia (9)

The Chinese team is just seeded #4 for the Asian Women's Volleyball competition, perhaps based on the past results in the last edition of the "Asian Women's Volleyball Championship", 2019 in Seoul?

Btw, the website of AVC is pathetic, so unprofessional, poorly administered... they can learn from FIVB, volleyballworld.com or other sports ITTF, worldtabletennis.com, etc on how to provide a useful and informative website, provided they have the sufficient funding 😆😂 how can one regard AVC seriously when its official website is in poor state?

Asian Women's Volleyball Championship (Wiki)

The initial gap between championships was four years, but since 1987 they have been awarded every two years. The current champion is Japan, which won its fifth title in 2019.

The 20 Asian Championship tournaments have been won by three different national teams. China have won 13 times. The other Asian Championship winners are Japan, with 5 titles; and Thailand with 2 titles.

The 2021 edition (the 21st edition, but the counter remains be taken), has been canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic. The 2023 edition (the 22nd edition) will be held in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I fully agree with you on your assessment of AVC :|

• And Team B will be like the university team playing in the Universiade 🤔

Imo....a few of them are good enough for the ‘A’ team....Zhou Yetong, Wu MJ....

Right, that's what I heard from the comment of some China's volleyball fans too.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Vietnam should take this golden opportunity

if they win from korea or another powerhouse they will rise a lot in world ranking

If they rise to top 30 they could qualify to next world champs in 2025

• And Team B will be like the university team playing in the Universiade 🤔

Imo....a few of them are good enough for the ‘A’ team....Zhou Yetong, Wu MJ....

team B is good enough to beat everyone who is not japan or thailand and finish on the podium.

that qualifies the team to 2025 world championships

(although we're gonna qualify by ranking anyways so who cares)

• THE 2016 ASIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS AND 2018 LOS ANGELES OLYMPICS

The Chinese women's volleyball team was the biggest winner of the past 20 editions of the Asian Women's Volleyball Championship, but the last time China won was 8 years ago.

But this will change. Although the 2024 Paris Olympics has not yet been held, the method of qualifying for the volleyball event at the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics has been put on the agenda of the FIVB. The 12 Olympic qualifications will no longer be generated through any Olympic qualifying events.

Except for the host team, which holds one spot, the remaining five spots will be determined through the intercontinental championships held on five continents in 2026. Out of the remaining 6 spots, 3 will be selected from the Top Three at the 2027 World Championship, and the last three will be allocated based on the world rankings.

In this way, the most direct way for Chinese women's volleyball to qualify for the Los Angeles Olympics is to win the championship at the 2026 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship. As of 2019, the Chinese team has won 13 championships at the 20 editions of the Asian Women's Volleyball Championship, making the team the most winner.

However, with the decoupling of the Asian Championships from world ranking points, the value of this event has plummeted. The last time the Chinese team won the championship was in 2015. Afterwards, the team sent out non main lineups to participate in two consecutive sessions in 2017 and 2019, and twice won fourth place. In 2021, the Chinese team did not participate in the Asian Championship. In September of this year, the 2023 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship will be held in Thailand. Due to the close schedule between this event and the two important competition tasks of the Paris Olympic Qualification Tournament and the Hangzhou Asian Games, the Chinese team will deploy two teams to participate: the main lineup of the first team will fully compete for the qualification of the Paris Olympic Games and the gold medal of the Hangzhou Asian Games. And the second team to the 2023 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship.

From the past achievements, as long as the Chinese women's volleyball team sends the main players to participate, the chance of winning the Asian Women's Volleyball Championship is still very high. Therefore, in the 2026 edition, which is tied to the eligibility for participation in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, the Chinese women's volleyball team must compete with the full strength for the championship and ensure to secure the first opportunity to qualify for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

Guangzhou Daily, 2023-06-23

https://news.dayoo.com/gzrbrmt/202306/23/158534_54498347.htm

After I was done with this article, I saw the Global Times (English edition) also ran an article on this subject.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202306/1293160.shtml

• Thanks for the thread Julian Chow. I think this thread should be in ‘International Competitions’ and not ‘Worldwide Volleyball’ since it’s a Continental Championship?

Not surprising that China will go with the A team on both OQT and Asian Games. They are the host of Asian Games after all (and OQT too) so they don’t have a travel time issue, and the AG is important for them. They will definitely win that Asian Games :lol: I just hope they shuffle the starters in some games for Asian Games and let LYY rest 😅

• Thanks for the thread Julian Chow. I think this thread should be in ‘International Competitions’ and not ‘Worldwide Volleyball’ since it’s a Continental Championship?

Not surprising that China will go with the A team on both OQT and Asian Games. They are the host of Asian Games after all (and OQT too) so they don’t have a travel time issue, and the AG is important for them. They will definitely win that Asian Games :lol: I just hope they shuffle the starters in some games for Asian Games and let LYY rest 😅

You’re right, I’ll get this relocated later, thanks...:)

• Posting it here also, from the Japan NT Thread. Here's the Japan Team B Roster posted by JVA

OH/OPP: Yuki Nishikawa, Miwako Osanai, Yuka Sato, Miyu Nakagawa, Hawi Okumu Oba, Rui Nonaka

MB: Haruyo Shimamura, Erina Ogawa, Mami Yokota, Kyoko Aoyagi

S: Tsukasa Nakagawa, Aki Momii

L: Manami Kojima, Miiku Iwasawa

those in bold will also play Asian Games.

• It's not officially announced yet but some PHI players already posted. I think they are travelling today. It's pretty much the same lineup as the SEA VLeague (college players from NU + a few others from other schools) with a few changes.

-------

edit: Here's the final roster

OH: Bella Belen, Vangie Alinsug, Myrtle Escanlar, Kaye Bombita
    OPP: Alyssa Solomon, Arah Panique, Erin Pangilinan
    MB: Niña Ytang, Minierva Maaya, Lorene Toring
    S: Camilla Lamina, Abegail Pono
    L: Shaira Jardio, Pearl Denura

Everyone except Ytang and Toring came from the same University team - National University (2nd place in recent PHI Collegiate League).

11 out of 14 played in the SEA VLeague.

• Team is ok, but I was hoping they bring in someone like Paat, Tots or Rondina to add firepower in their attack :/