World Cup 2011

• Italy without their only proper Opp... :thumbdown:
    so, Now Italy has 3 liberos like Germany. Croce definitely will play as main Libero, and I think either Sirressi or De Gennaro will be a receiver when someone gets unstable in reception. I prefer Sirressi though. De Gennaro is more talented in digging (just like Turkish Gizem).

World Cup is a cruel Tournament, all the players have to play 11 matches... :thumbdown:

• Japan NT 14 players for WC finalised....

Kurihara Megumi is out from covocation of 15....

the roster as follows

S - Takeshita Yoshie, Nakamichi Hitomi
    OP - Kano Maiko, Shinnabe Risa
    OH - Kimura Saori, Ebata Yukiko, Sakoda Saori, Ishida Mizuho
    MB - Araki Erica, Yamaguchi Mai, Iwasaka Nana, Mori Kozuyo
    L - Sano Yuko, Zayasu Kotoki

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• I just took a look, and only 4 players from this squard are taller than 1,80cm.
    Maiko Kano, Saori Kimura, Erika Araki and Nana Iwasaka. as usual, Japanese team should play with their combination and speed. It's definitely up to their setter, Yosie Takeshita I believe.

one thing I got surprised from this squard is Kazuyo Mori plays as MB and she is only 1,75cm :roll: I wonder how she plays...because I haven't seen any small MBs like her so far.

• You are forgetting one important thing, what is big deal in USA its not in Europe, for me Olympics are not big deal, for me bigger deal is CEV Champions league. Its just who cares more about what. You Americans are grown up with idea that you are best in everything and that Olympics are major sport event for each sport, I tell you that in most sports Olympics are not most stronger competition, but Coca Cola, Hyundai, etc...are paying huge money to sell Olympics as big deal and Americans are buying it including some other countries.

FIVB is making qualifications for Olympics because they got money from Japan to organized every time there, if some other countries offers more money they will changed place, simple as that...who pays more he will organized, same as WC for clubs, why in Doha??? Some Sheik paid huge money to FIVB and they organized!

LOL, the assumption that because YOU don't think the Olympics are a big deal makes the entire continent not make them a big deal is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. It has nothing to do with culture and/or what fans think is a big deal, it's about the athletes' perspective and what they place emphasis on. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that if you ask ANY European NT volleyball player what their ultimate dream/goal is it would be winning an Olympic gold medal and not winning the Champions League. It's for that very reason that players like Solokova and Grun more recently come back to their respective NT's and why players like Lo Bianco are striving to play in for the 4th time. No one talks about the CL winner from 5, 10, 15 years ago, but the volleyball world still talks about Cuba winning gold in the 90's. The prestige of the Olympics DWARFS anything the Champions League could dream of having.

Secondly, contrary to your erroneous belief that Americans grow up thinking Olympics are the strongest competition in every sport, two of the biggest sports in this country are baseball and basketball, and NO ONE thinks the Olympics are the strongest competition. The NBA Championships and World Series are what Americans care about, but nice attempt at American-bashing.

• LOL, the assumption that because YOU don't think the Olympics are a big deal makes the entire continent not make them a big deal is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. It has nothing to do with culture and/or what fans think is a big deal, it's about the athletes' perspective and what they place emphasis on. I'd be willing to be a lot of money that if you ask ANY European NT volleyball player what their ultimate dream/goal is it would be winning an Olympic gold medal and not winning the Champions League. It's for that very reason that players like Solokova and Grun more recently come back to their respective NT's and why players like Lo Bianco are striving to play in for the 4th time. No one talks about the CL winner from 5, 10, 15 years ago, but the volleyball world still talks about Cuba winning gold in the 90's. The prestige of the Olympics DWARFS anything the Champions League could dream of having.

Secondly, contrary to your erroneous belief that Americans grow up thinking Olympics are the strongest competition in every sport, two of the biggest sports in this country are baseball and basketball, and NO ONE thinks the Olympics are the strongest competition. The NBA Championships and World Series are what Americans care about, but nice attempt at American-bashing.

well in soccer the olympics have no meaning ! its not prestigious as well !
    i say it again, the formula for the numerous torunaments of FIVB has to change, there are too much cups and someone said that World Grand Prix is not important ? actually it is important because you gain world ranking points. anyway this is going to be off-topic , lets go back to this actual thread

• Of course there are sports like soccer which don't have prestige that the World Cup has, but this a forum about volleyball. Are you suggesting that Olympic volleyball isn't a strong competition?

• Of course there are sports like soccer which don't have prestige that the World Cup has, but this a forum about volleyball. Are you suggesting that Olympic volleyball isn't a strong competition?

nooo, olympics are the most important for NATIONAL teams, od course. But in soccer for example, we hace the contintal chammpionchips and the world cup. BUT for volleyball we have tons of tournaments, actually we dont need this world cup. Like a friend here mentioned, the procedure shouls be like in basketball. The winner of world championschips and winner of continantel championschips get a ticket for the olympis and later a qualification for the rest. OR FIVB should change the formula for WGP, why 4 weeks travelling, just change it to 2 weeks and thats it. Players can have a lil bit free time aswell.

• Italy without their only proper Opp... :thumbdown:
    so, Now Italy has 3 liberos like Germany. Croce definitely will play as main Libero, and I think either Sirressi or De Gennaro will be a receiver when someone gets unstable in reception. I prefer Sirressi though. De Gennaro is more talented in digging (just like Turkish Gizem).

World Cup is a cruel Tournament, all the players have to play 11 matches... :thumbdown:

Lucia Bosetti will play as opposite

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• This is really weird of Hooker name, honestly, cause there is a brazilian reporter in Japan following the World Cup and he wrote in twitter Hooker was not there, and she would not play.....and Metcalf did travel, so I dont understand really...:S

• This is really weird of Hooker name, honestly, cause there is a brazilian reporter in Japan following the World Cup and he wrote in twitter Hooker was not there, and she would not play.....and Metcalf did travel, so I dont understand really...:S

metcalf did go there....but she is ko'd at the very last minute , what a pity

Hugh changed his mind before the deadline for the submission of the confirmed 14 play list to FIVB.

but hooker does have knee injury and she might have problem in starting line ups...

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• metcalf did go there....but she is ko'd at the very last minute , what a pity

Hugh changed his mind before the deadline for the submission of the confirmed 14 play list to FIVB.

but hooker does have knee injury and she might have problem in starting line ups...

I see....thank u. ;)

• Have Argentinian squad revealed somwhere around ?

• metcalf is out of official lineup and haneef park and destinee hooker will be the final opposite..i dont know whether hooker has already flew to japan or whether she'll arrive the venue jumping from a helicopter or something more drastic for more drama

• metcalf is out of official lineup and haneef park and destinee hooker will be the final opposite..i dont know whether hooker has already flew to japan or whether she'll arrive the venue jumping from a helicopter or something more drastic for more drama

That would be hilarious :lol: but It's pretty possible, If it's related to Hooker... :thumbsup:

• Hooker is in Japan now and apparently her injury is not as severe as we thought. Or should I ask " is she indeed injured or not"?? Anyway it doesn't matter anymore. Brazil is still the top favorite to win this tournament. I hope both Tom and Larson can bring their A game and IMO, they are the key factors for US to beat Brazil.
    I feel bad for Nancy and hope she can make the Olympic roster.